Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost my sense of humour

Options
  • 10-05-2006 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is a very serious issue and I want no-one taking the piss

I think I have lost my sense of humour. I can't honestly remember the last time I laughed or found anything funny.

Is this a medical issue, because it worries me very much

BTW I am not depressed, in fact I enjoy life, I just have no sense of humour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh it does sound like mild depression. Or a personality trait.

Your age?
    Did you use to have more fun than now?
    Are people commenting on this alleged loss or is it something you only notice yourself?

Are you a person who usually takes things in your stride/never has mood swings etc? Some people are just not easily moved.

If you believe it's a medical issue you should def talk to a doctor or psychologist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Louisiana

sorry mate but maybe you've grown out of the things you used to find funny. i dont know how old you are but id try looking at different types of humour - maybe a darker comedy.
    on a day to day basis you might need to let of a bit off a bit of steam or maybe keep different company that you have more in common with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭killswitch

start smoking weed dude....everything starts to become funny ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

haha I was only thinking the same thing about myself this week. I still find lots of things funny but stuff I used to love doing like indecent exposure and little childish things dont cut it for my anymore. I feel quite boring sometimes due to the less manic behaviour as i've grown older. A few of my friends feel the same.

Growing up isn't for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

I was like this a couple of years ago as well..just didn't find things funny anymore. Everyone else would be in stitches laughing at something and I'd just think it wasn't that funny. Regarding the post that says ''start smoking weed dude'' I would strongly oppose this. Weed makes everything seem funny, but only when you're smoking it. Afterwards I felt sh!t after smoking it and thought this was the reason why I didn't have a sense of humour anymore..thought the weed was fu**ing with me..probably was. Long stopped smoking it now and I'm still unsure as to what was the cause was. Also it may be depression..I'm depressed and on meds. Luckily I have since regained my sense of humour though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

killswitch, unhelpful ( ie ilegal ) and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

wrote:
    This is a very serious issue and I want no-one taking the piss
    :) If you took the issue less seriously maybe it'd be funnier. Wanting no-one to take the piss is exactly the problem, is it not?

Really I don't think there's anything you can do except wait it out and don't be worrying. Sometimes tiredness can affect whether you find things funnier / less funny. Personally I'm one of the most easily tickled people. Some days I'd sit down to watch a lame, old cartoon like Tom & Jerry and actually be in uncontrollable fits of hysterics. It's a funny thing... :p

Here's a Chuck fact to get you started:
    The quickest way to a man's heart is with Chuck Norris' fist.

Lmao.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It could be that your sense of humour has changed. Try different shows and something may strike you. Brasseye ftw if you want edgy humour

It could also be the company. I don't find simpsons funny unless I watch it with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Sleep deprivation or eating too much sugary stuff makes me laugh.

But sometimes, I have no sense of humour either - it's whithered with the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Frankster4

i agree. where the **** did mine go? i'm only 16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

In my teens I never found childish pranks funny, found my peer's incredibly immature, ironically I find all those things funny now in my mid 20's (*cough*)! I laugh at almost anything now! :)

I'm also a lot more happy in myself now than I was back then, I wasn't depressed, I was reasonably happy but I really didn't know who I was, I think thats the major difference between now and then.

Probably just a phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Sony

maybe your fed up or just bored lately? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

killswitch wrote:
    start smoking weed dude....everything starts to become funny ;)
    Hmm, I was thinking I feel a little like the OP but then I read your reply and broke my bollix laughing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Thaedydal wrote:
    killswitch, unhelpful ( ie ilegal ) and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

Awh, lighten up will ya. It gave me a laugh and maybe will do the same for the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

OP, where did you have it last? did you check behind the fridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Have you had a fall or slip on your arm recently? This seems like a classic case of a fractured funny bone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

What age are you? Some teenagers go through the worst times, where crippling and acute self-awareness makes it hard for them to relax and find anything funny. This does not last, though, don't worry.

If you are older, you could be under too much stress - all work and no play etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Sounds like a sub-life crisis. Buy a porsche. You'll be grinning then (as long as you don't think about the loan repayments :eek:)

Advertisement