Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcomers.

Options
  • 09-05-2006 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

When did RTE stop showing Newcomers, It used to go out at 12.30 every second tuesday. I remember that during the 90's it went out earlier and earlier and was on one morning at 4.50 am. (yes it's a dull question!):rolleyes:

I bring this up because I saw Setanta showing ads this afternoon on Rangers TV with countdown clock before each ad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

medja wrote:
    When did RTE stop showing Newcomers, It used to go out at 12.30 every second tuesday. I remember that during the 90's it went out earlier and earlier and was on one morning at 4.50 am. (yes it's a dull question!):rolleyes:

I bring this up because I saw Setanta showing ads this afternoon on Rangers TV with countdown clock before each ad.

I certainly remember Newcomers in the late 1970s on RTE 1. It usually went out about midday and of course was unannounced and never listed, same as the Technical Bulletins that went out once a week during the rollout of RTE 2.

I liked these "hidden" programmes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Yeah never understood what newcomers was about presumably some kind of trade transmission for advertising agencies or something ?

The technical info stuff was far more interesting although I only got to see it occasionally. I think they killed that off when they started the full aertel service mind you the technical info page on there is rarely updated and one has to sit through pages of old info (The rather pointless announcment about radio sound on the test card must have been kept up there for about three years for example) to see if there was anything new.

News about relay transmitters in Ballygobackwards being off for three hours during a power outage six weeks ago gets kinds boring after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

News about relay transmitters in Ballygobackwards being off for three hours during a power outage six weeks ago gets kinds boring after a while

I found an aertel page (RTE 1 only, linked from Radio Extra on Page 385) still up about RTE Radio 1's 567kHz medium wave closing in July until November (this happened in 2004), or perhaps they are closing it again this year???

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p386.htm

RTÉ Radio 1 - Medium Wave changes
    Important changes in July for listeners
    to RTÉ Radio 1 on Medium Wave.

On 19 July the Medium Wave 567 kHz
    transmitter in Tullamore will close for
    essential maintenance until November.

Listeners to RTÉ Radio 1 on this
    frequency should retune to FM or
    Longwave 252. Do not forget you may
    have friends or family who could use
    your help in retuning their radio.

This temporary closure is due to
    essential maintenance work. RTÉ Radio
    regrets the inconvenience to listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Crikey - that's not very professional of them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yeah never understood what newcomers was about presumably some kind of trade transmission for advertising agencies or something ?

On ITV they had something similar to get copies of new ads out to the regions back in the days when posting tapes out was "a bit expensive, like", feck knows what it was doing on RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'm sure that they were used to show ad agencies during daytime hours what new commercials were being aired that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

That is exactly what it was for DMC. For a while more recently it was coming on Beta/VHS/DVD to agencies, not sure what is happening now I haven’t come across it in a few years (not my dept). Any time I need a copy of a commercial I just get one of the studios to send me a copy.

Advertisement