Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Travelmate 8204WLMi & Ordering from the States.

Options
  • 08-05-2006 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey,

Came across this laptop, and as my budget has gone up considerably I can afford to go for something with a bit of oomph, and I think this fits the bill quite well :)

Spec:

Intel® Centrino® Duo mobile technology, featuring: Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2500 (2 MB L2 cache, 2.0GHz, 667 MHz FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (Service Pack 2), Intel® 945PM Express chipset, Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection, 15.4" WSXGA+ TFT LCD Display, ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X1600 512 MB HyperMemory™ (256 MB of dedicated GDDR3 VRAM; 256 MB of shared system memory), 2GB (2*1024MB) of DDR2 533/667 MHz memory, 120GB 5,400rpm SATA hard disk drive, DVD-Super Multi double-layer, 56Kbps Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth® 2.0+EDR, 5-in-1 card reader, Acer OrbiCam integrated 1.3 megapixel camera, Acer Bluetooth® VoIP phone, 9-cell Li-ion battery.

Best laptop available? Anyway, I was reading in the CIB supplement in the SBS that it's something like €2190 here, and as far as I know that's excluding VAT.

I was looking at a review of the laptop here and came across a website in America that does it for €1675, including VAT to the best of my knowledge. So we're talking a saving of around €800 here. Pretty good if you ask me.

Question is, is the laptop completely new, not reconditioned or second hand, and what sort of prices are involved shipping a laptop from the States? I also need a new laptop by the start of June, and most definately have my eyes set on this one.

Basically, I'm looking for peoples experience buying from America (if it was with this company, that'd be great), the time and cost involved in getting it over here to Ireland and whether these people deliver new laptops.

There are a number of reviews of peoples experiences here.

Many thanks,
    m.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

model wrote:
    Best laptop available? Anyway, I was reading in the CIB supplement in the SBS that it's something like €2190 here, and as far as I know that's excluding VAT.

I was looking at a review of the laptop here and came across a website in America that does it for €1675, including VAT to the best of my knowledge. So we're talking a saving of around €800 here. Pretty good if you ask me.

Question is, is the laptop completely new, not reconditioned or second hand, and what sort of prices are involved shipping a laptop from the States? I also need a new laptop by the start of June, and most definately have my eyes set on this one.

Basically, I'm looking for peoples experience buying from America (if it was with this company, that'd be great), the time and cost involved in getting it over here to Ireland and whether these people deliver new laptops.

Firstly, I wouldn't hold the SBS CIB supplement in high regard at all. I have generally found their articles to be poorly written, ill-informed and at times nothing more than re-hashed press releases.

Secondly, purchasing from the US may/may not be a problem. When I purchased a laptop over ther (was living there at the time), they wouldn't accept non-US credit cards. Also, they may not ship overseas.

Thirdly, and probably the most important point - have you considered warranty? What happens if there is a problem with the machine (unlikely, but it happens)? Would they repair it locally? Would they even support it outside the US?

Oh, and don't forget about customs. If you ship from the US, it will most likely get stopped for customs on it's way in. That adds to the price. Don't listen to the plonkers who tell you mark it as a gift, if anything, that will draw customs attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

model wrote:
    [/I]

There are a number of reviews of peoples experiences here.

Judging by last time I ordered a DVD set from the states they added customes duty, VAT on that, plus a charge for "collecting" the duty. Theoriginal cost of the set was 45 dollars plus 30 euro for courier - I ende dup paying another 30 euros.

I think the duty for an expensive item like a laptop could be anything from 150 euros upwards. It might even end up costing more than the original quote!

I'd suggest buying from Germany or the UK and getting an English version of the OS if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

i bought an mp3 player and 2 belkin tunecaster 2 fm transmitters from B&H in the US. about $400 for the lot, and €90 to DHL or UPS, which ever one delivered it. so a laptop could be expensive customswise.

Advertisement