Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, you like baseball?

Options
  • 08-05-2006 9:53pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

What is it that you like about baseball?

As many of you know I live in Cleveland, home of the Indians (yes I am ashamed) hahaha for those of you who know our history you know exactley what I mean.

I used to be the biggest baseball fan until about 9 years ago....
    I had a baseball card collection of 4,000 and I knew the stats of all the greats.
    I even did sports talk radio for a year and my topic was Baseball, people would call in and I would stump them with the trivia. I could predict each players next move. It was like coming alive when baseball season started.
    Then I made the mistake of putting all my hopes on my hometown team, the Indians. Now, I didnt only like my team...I was a fan of baseball and that meant I had a respect for each team and there was only one team in all of Baseball I couldnt stand : The Whitesox grrrrrr
    So anyway, The Indians went to the world series in 1995, the first time since 1954 and I was sure they were going to win even though I had been watching the Braves for some years and knew they had just as good a chance. So when we lost I said thats ok we'd take it next year.
    The next time we made it to the world series we lost becasue The Marlins owner bought every high priced player in the league for the sole purpose of winning the series so he could retire...I hated them for that. So we lost agin but I could hardly blame us right?
    wrong, we had one more chance and we blew it again...it was after that last time I put away my baseball altar and wardrobe...I removed the stickers from my car and put all my cards into storage. Im still a fan of baseball but the love I had for my hometown team dwindled away just like my dad told me it would. He told me he used to root for them year after year too until he realised they were not going anywhere. Our team is like a joke to the rest of the league...if you have ever seen the movie about our team MAJOR LEAGUE..its all true. The league kinda uses our team to get to the top...its funy really. Teams that havnt won in ages know that if they can get us to the top and play us they will win, its almost like its all planned...or we are cursed.
    Our Football team is the same , The BROWNS...I used to love them when I was a kid..ever since the expansion team took over I havnt been to the new stadium or cared about them at all. I could care less when they play a game becasue I know better. Sure they are the under dogs and they need fans to root for them and maybe someday they will give me a reason to root for them and to pay a ridiculous price for a seat at the stadium but for now Ill stick to watching my other favorite teams on the screen at home or at the sports bar.

So I dont have the same feelings for Baseball that I once did...the smell of the grass and stadium popcorn and the sound of the organ playing or the singing at the 7th inning stretch dont give me the same feeling of joy as it once did but I still enjoy watching a few games for the teams that have always managed to actually work together to achieve a goal. Winning isnt the most important thing but losing aLL the time isnt going to keep me excited either.

So for now Ill root for the Red Sox , the Yankees, the Braves and anyone who is playing against the white sox ;) If the Indians win a few then great but you wont catch me yelling my praise until they have proven thier worth to the game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

I am planing to drive from New York to Chicago at the end of July and will be taking in some games while over there, this is a bit off the topic but is it worth staying in Cleveland for a night as it is a place I have never been?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

hmm not if you dont know where to go, Cleveland has a few things to do but none of them are too interesting unless you plan on spending the weekend then you can do some fun things like go to Cedar Point (home of the tallest and fastest roller coasters in the world) or check out some bars downtown if your just staying the night. The town doesnt wake up as far as clubs go until fri or sat after 11pm. If you do decide to come over let me know ahead of time and Ill meet up with you to show you around...send me a pm and Ill give you my number...may be able to catch a tribe game and go for some drinks after if you enjoy baseball that much to watch the Indians play hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I remember waking up on the train from New York to Chicago bright one July morning under some big stadium in Cleveland, any idea which one it was?

Thats about the extent of my "knowledge" of the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Carrickman wrote:
    I am planing to drive from New York to Chicago at the end of July and will be taking in some games while over there, this is a bit off the topic but is it worth staying in Cleveland for a night as it is a place I have never been?

Which club in New York are you planning to see. Most people go to the Yankees I hope you will go see both clubs Mets and Yankees. Shea statium has a feeling like no other baseball park. In Shea you will only find real baseball fans not like Yankee Stadium where its mostly tourists. I am a Mets fan I used to live in Toronto its looking so far that the mets will win the NL east and accroding to paddy powers odds will be in the World Series if they dont mess up. But so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

jjbrien wrote:
    Which club in New York are you planning to see. Most people go to the Yankees I hope you will go see both clubs Mets and Yankees. Shea statium has a feeling like no other baseball park. In Shea you will only find real baseball fans not like Yankee Stadium where its mostly tourists.
    Wont go near the Yankees as I know all that you have said about them my cousin told me that years ago, I will see what is on while I am there, I will be going to a few White Sox games anyway when I reach Chicago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement