Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC windows versus single glazing - lesser of 2 evils?

Options
  • 08-05-2006 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My wife was expressing an interest in replacing our in-need-of-a-sand-and-paint wooden single glazed windows with double-glazed PVC ones.

She was more interested in the asthetics, but I was willing to go along on the basis that it's good for the environment, because of the heat savings (although it might be 30+ years to break even on current energy costs)

Anyhow, I then came across Greenpeace's strong opposition to PVC, due to the issues of safely disposing of it. So... since wooden frames are double-triple the cost of PVC, what is a person to do?

Is it better to waste the heat, than install PVC?

Some people also claim that PVC windows discolour (if not cleaned regularly) and have a lifespan of maybe 20 years, far from the eternity promised.

Comments?

Ix.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Oh where to start.

Firstly, There are companies who will come to your house and route out the rebate and fit double glased panels, this could be your best option, as long as your current windows are suitable. This will cost you a lot less than replacing the windows, and you will save a fortune on heating.

PVC:eek: The blog says that they are maintanence free, in reality they are un-maintainable i.e. if something breaks off in 10 years you may find that you can't get a replacement. They do discolour, I've seen it, nice yellow panel in the middle of a white door which couldn't have been more than 5 years old, although I suppose you could paint them white again, but then you chose PVC so that you wouldn't have to paint them again:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I've heard that the discolouration occurs when the manufacturers attempt to skimp and remelt offcuts before using it to make new pieces - sounds like a likely case in the one you mention Adrian (only one panel going bad).
    The double glass into existing windows is a great idea but I know it wasnt an option on my parents teak windows, they investigated it but went for PVC replacements in the end.

Advertisement