Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HDD.. Any recommendations??

Options
  • 08-05-2006 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Thinking of buying an External HD for my laptop. Just gonna use it for backup/storage.. probably looking for something around 200GB+..

I already have a 2.5" 80GB external drive, which is cool but need more space than 80GB..

Has anyone any recommedations for a good external HD that's not too pricey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What do you have re:
    Budget?
    USB2.0 or IEEE1394?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

My 2.5 is USB 2.0 and i find that ok..

Pricewise i s'pose I'm talking €150ish

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There is a thread on External HDD's in Bargain alerts at the moment so you may want to go there for a look.
    I bought a USB2 Toshiba 320 gig drive in Currys (PC world do them too) for 169.99 a few weeks ago.
    I think Aldi or Lidle may be doing one as well, its in the thread in Bargarin alerts.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Cheers for that..

The Aldi drive looks a bit sweet for €180 but might just be a bit 2 pricey for me..

Have 2 have a think about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

if your in dublin, check maplins out... they had a deal on a seagate 250 gig external for €150. It was a while ago but you never know, you could get lucky

if not, it tends to be alot cheaper to by the raw hard drive and a case for it instread. also if its 200GB+ your looking, just in case you didn't know, it wont just be straight USB connection like the 2.5 you have. It will need a power supply too. The most space you will usually get with a 2.5" HD is about 120GB. A 2.5" is a laptop hard drive and recieves power through the USB. anything bigger tends to be a desktop type hard drive (3.5") and not enough power can be transmitted down the USB to power it. You may or may not have know this already, just thought i'd say... hope it helps!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I would get this and

this

€125 for 250gigs and the Hitachi Deskstar is probably the fastest IDE drive available......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I wouldn't be so concerned about the speed of the drive because USB 2.0 will be a bottleneck for any transfer. I opted for a 5,400rpm Samsung from Komplett recently to minimize heat and noise and it works perfectly at not much higher then room temperature in a fanless case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 steffkelly

i wouldnt buy anything until you've had a good look at komplett here http://www.komplett.ie/k/kc.asp?bn=10088 and then you can buy the enclosures here http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10095 . I dont think these prices can be beaten!

My bad i didnt realise the other links were for komplett as well

Advertisement