Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutrition for people with Alzheimers

Options
  • 08-05-2006 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

My Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimers just under a year ago. At first it was easy to take in because frankly I couldnt really believe it. Lately however,its started to really sink in, because lately Im noticing more and more how confused he can get. Not hugely confused,he is still in the very early stages, he just forgets little things and is extremly tired, he sleeps alot during the day. He is also very depressed which is understandable. I feel so awful for him, I wish I could just make it ok for him.:(
    Anyway, I have been searching all over the net lately to see if there is anything I can do to help in any way. I really dont want to just sit back and let this disease take him. He is on medication that seems to be helping, which is great. However, there seems to be alot on the net about nutrition and how the right nutrition can help. Obviously I dont expect this to cure him, but I do think that the right foods can only help his situation.He really doesnt eat as well as he could at the moment, and I dont doubt that he would be deficient in alot of important vitamins. Anyway, the whole point of this is that Im looking for any advice anyone can give me on sites / books where I can get good nutritional advice, recipes, menus etc. I see that vitamins E,C,A,B6 and B12 have been shown to be very beneficial to people with alzheimers. Any advice on what foods contain large amounts of these vitamins. (Im know vit C, but not really sure on the others) My main aim is to be able to put together daily menus of meals rich in good beneficial nutrients, that we can cook for him. Anyway, I am researching all this myself and have come up with alot of info, but I would also be greatful for any advice anyone else can give me on good healthy foods/ recipes etc.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

i'm sorry to hear this!

i believe that omega oils (3,6 and 9) have been shown to have some positive effects with this type of illness. traditionally the recommended source was fish oils, but because of the horribly polluted east coast some dont recommend it anymore. i buy a jar of oils called "Udo's Choice" from the local health food shop called . It's important not to fry with it (as super heated oils turn carcinogenic) just drizzle on your food. I heard him on "the last word" a couple of moonths back and what he had to say was interesting. i'm sure he has books and a website out there.

Other than that you can try getting some colodial minerals. My mum gets these on order (very expensive) and when i take them i feel great. http://www.american-longevity.com/products/majminerals.html

some people will look at this and this that it's crap in a bottle produced by some quack. research it yourself and decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

Sorry to hear about your dad.

My mother, even though she is fine, is terrified of Alzheimers. She says Gingko Biloba is supposed to be very good for brain/memory function. She has a Gingko plant at home, but I am sure you can get food supplements.

Why not write to a natural alternative nutritionist or whatever they are called. At least they are qualified, and you should remember that some natural remedies do not work well together, or can react badly with conventional medicines. Check with you doctor before trying anything you're not sure of - although I know the medical profession usually plays safe and will wanr against complementary therapies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 katyk

thanks for the advice. I seen that Gingko Bilboa is supposed to help but it apprantely isnt good for people on blood thinners which unfortunately he is on. Vitamin E is the same although if he got this from food Im sure it would be ok. Im not sure though what foods you could get Vitamin E from. Ive also heard of Udos oil, but never thought of it for this. I will defo look into it now, it may be of some benefit I have already brought up the subject of good nutrtion with the Dr and he has said that the medication is what he really needs, that hes not against natural remedies but that at this stage its only the medication that will help. I dont believe that, although I do agree that the medication is vital, I think good nutrition is also very important and it can only help his overall well being if he eats the right foods and gets the right nutrients in his diet. Does anyone know where I would find a good nutritionist/dietician?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

i'll see if i can get a phone number off someone.

check you pms later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 katyk

Thanks for all your help. Ive found a website called whfoods.com and its really helpful. It gives information on all vitamins and minerals, foods that they are contained in and also recipes containing the various vitamins and minerals. It doesnt advise on what foods/nutrients are beneficial to Alzheimers, but Ive already found alot of this on other sites, so I can use info from this site in conjunction with the other sites. I would recommend anyone interested in good nutrition for whatever reason, not neccesarily for a particular condition, to have a look at the site, its really informative.

• Advertisement
Advertisement