Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

political rap ? IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE

Options
  • 07-05-2006 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Anybody heard of `Immortal Technique'? A Peruvian American from Harlem NY,
    If you're into the conspiracy theory thing, suggest you listen to his lyrics and look the points he mentions up on the net. Very interesting, as he isn't owned by any major music company so he tells it as it is. Excellent rythm. Try `Revolutionary Volume 2" album, the goverment criticised in the in the lyrics i believe may own `AOL" if see what i mean.
    Oh, and by the way, i was put onto this guy by my 22yr old son so i'm no young pup.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yes I've got two of his albums.. He's very vocal, anti-bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

He's a bit preachy, but he is a very good lyricist.
    Need to take him in small doses though, he just annoys me if I listen to him and his conspiracy theories for too long.

Try The Coup and Dead Prez for more political rap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

hes a good beatboxer/ mc battler too... seen him tear apart a few people. would like to see immortal vs jin battle! very anti bush and makes alotta good points about political issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

nokiawolf2 wrote:
    Very interesting, as he isn't owned by any major music company so he tells it as it is.

He signed to G-Unit a few months ago.

Yeah I like Tech alot, pretty good storyteller too. Dance with the devil and You never know both excellent examples, Peruvian cocaine another one. His two lps get regular spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Well if a shouting rapper that preaches all sorts of anti-American Castro ass kissing commie bull**** gets you going then I suggest you get a gun not an IT album. ;)

Sunz of Man's Freedom of Speech and Black Market Militia's Black Market Militia are two of the best political albums I've heard in an age.The new Coup album is supposed to be good as well.Dead Prez's debut is worth getting just for the head bangingly great I'm an African and M1's first solo album had gotten some good reviews(source gave it 3 and a half mics,which is very respectable)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

He signed to G-Unit a few months ago.

Yeah I like Tech alot, pretty good storyteller too. Dance with the devil and You never know both excellent examples, Peruvian cocaine another one. His two lps get regular spins.

I seriously doubt this frankly.Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

yup have seen him live aswell.......
    Hes a great mc...however sometimes his political speeches can be too much..even for me

Orizio wrote:
    I seriously doubt this frankly.Link?

So did I for about a month after my mate told me, Until I saw this.
    Immortal Technique Speaks on G-Unit
    Tuesday - April 04, 2006
    A-Plus
    Immortal Technique has never been one to bite his tongue (probably because it hurts like Lil Scrappy says). The independent, politically conscious emcee opened up to XXL about everything from politics to signing with 50 and G Unit in the first of a two part interview. Check out some high lights.

On signing with G Unit:
    As a Latino with an overwhelmingly strong fan base of Latino people and someone who has plenty of White fans as well as Muslims and Blacks, I have a diversity wherever I move. I tour the world. But in terms of a deal, I would need something similar to what Roc-A-Fella got from Def Jam; they give 25% and have a large distribution outlet with support from a major. But I need to hold on to those masters since I mix it down and have it mastered myself out my own pocket. I have no A&R. I do it all myself. It’s no one’s vision but mine. I always put up the dough for production and pressing my own records. I don’t think that fits with just about anyone’s formula. People aren’t getting signed nowadays by someone who doesn’t wanna own them 100%, and labels don’t really break artists anymore. They want someone self-made but don’t pay them like they’re self-made.

Taken from hiphopdx.com

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.4015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Is signing with a major label something you’ve considered?
    They keep trying to sign me as an artist and throw money at me without realizing that this isn’t about just paper for me. It’s about principle and about my success rate as the president of my own label. As the VP and then the president of Viper, I sold 80,000 copies of Vol.2 and I sold about 35,000 of Vol.1. SoundScan might give you some numbers that are lower, but the first 30,000 of Vol.2 I moved on my own and through a series of smaller distributors. I mean, before I even had distribution I moved about 10,000 on my own for $8 to $10. I don’t need to pretend to be paid for anyone. Even though I’m from Harlem, I’m not really flashy. I got a Third World country work ethic, like the Haitians, Jamaicans, Cubans, Colombians. I’m mostly Peruvian, so I put my money into investments. I own three apartments and a house I bought for my grandmother in South America. I own over 50 acres of farmland in Peru. I’m putting my sister through school and now medical school. I get as much as many major label artists for shows. I mean, my agent won’t call me unless we’re talking $5,000 to $15,000. I’m not starving and broke and willing to sell my soul to them along with the rights to my masters and publishing. I’m not looking for the big advance. I’m looking for what a record deal—or rather, a P&D deal—should be. A deal, not some piece of paper written in legalese that makes me a slave.

50 Cent seems to be signing everybody these days. What would he have to come at you with to get you to sign a major label deal with G-Unit?

You’re trying to be funny, but I’ll humor you. As a Latino with an overwhelmingly strong fan base of Latino people and someone who has plenty of White fans as well as Muslims and Blacks, I have a diversity wherever I move. I tour the world. But in terms of a deal, I would need something similar to what Roc-A-Fella got from Def Jam; they give 25% and have a large distribution outlet with support from a major. But I need to hold on to those masters since I mix it down and have it mastered myself out my own pocket. I have no A&R. I do it all myself. It’s no one’s vision but mine. I always put up the dough for production and pressing my own records. I don’t think that fits with just about anyone’s formula. People aren’t getting signed nowadays by someone who doesn’t wanna own them 100%, and labels don’t really break artists anymore. They want someone self-made but don’t pay them like they’re self-made.

Taken from his interview on xxlmag.com

I posted links to part 1 http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054913231

and part 2. http://xxlmag.com/online/?p=930

It's safe to say he's not gonna sign with G-Unit

Ha there ya go. I was way off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement