Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys PAP2 ATA line strength

Options
  • 07-05-2006 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Just signed up to Blueface and using PAP2 ATA with a normal phone.Tried using a 15 ft phone cable and the phone doesn't seem to be getting a stong enough signal. The tone is quieter and the buttons don't give off a tone. If I use the shorter cable that came with the phone (around 6ft) everything is fine, can dial out etc.

Does anyone have any ideas?

It's an old phone, so I want to make sure before I buy a cordless. Although buying some network cable is also an option I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I use an old handset and a cordless connected to the ATA using a 'T' switch. There is at least 8 metres of cable between the ATA and the cordless base station. I do not have any problems using Blueface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps the old phone consumes a lot of power from the line?

I'd suggest using decent cat4/5 cable to minimise resistance / improve quality of sound.

Just bare in mind that an eircom exchange can probabally feed more power as necessary and adapt to the resistance of the line. So if your internal wiring is terrible, it'll just use brute force.

Your ATA doesn't necessarily have that kind of ability.

I'd suggest rewiring and not using poor quality extension cords.

Advertisement