Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sustainability fair in Westport

Options
  • 07-05-2006 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

There is a fair on sustainable living taking place in the grounds of Westport House next weekend - opening on friday evening and running Saturday and Sunday - dont have any more details as i am not involved in the project but there will be some demos on wind power and that sort of thing.
    Worth a look if you are within reasonable distance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

That is good news. Thanks for this. we will definitely go. Finally something in the west of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭WILKEL

A few more details:
    Sustainability Fair for Westport in May
    Details have been announced of an unusual fair for May in Westport. Set in the grounds of Westport House estate will the first ever Westport Sustainability Fair which will take place from Friday May 12 to Sunday 14.
    The Fair is being organised by Westport Sustainability Group which has received funding from Mayo County Council and the event is expected to draw large crowds. Admission will be free though donations will be welcome.
    The event will highlight renewable energy and sustainable technology which will be promoted through a series of talks, films and workshops. These will show how these might be applied in the context of homes, businesses and farming situations. There will also be examples of their uses in transport and recycling.
    There will be other workshops dealing with crafts, food production and traditional skills among others. There will also be events for children. Among the more interesting structures and marques that will be constructed are a building made completely out of straw bales which will feature as a theatre and events room and a specially built wind turbine which will provide power for the Fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

I don't think the programme of events for the Fair is online anywhere, but if you can get a copy of the Mayo News, or Western People (available in Dublin on Thursday) it will be in there. Otherwise, the contact number is Andy Wilson - 098 26281.

It's going to be a great weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 risteard55

didn't get to the fair in Westport but saw RTEs Nationwide cameras were

there.The programme tonight was from the fair. If anyone was there and got

the name of the company who installed the small windmills to the sides of

houses,I would be grateful. thanks
    risteard55@aol.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gonk

risteard55 wrote:
    If anyone was there and got the name of the company who installed the small windmills to the sides of houses,I would be grateful.

Wasn't there myself, but very likely it was these guys, who are based in Castlebar:

http://www.surfacepower.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I missed it too, and the funny thing is that I finally found Surface power on the net at the weekend. They have a very interesting product that combines solar valves with a micro windmill (no planning permission and very quiet) to make hot water. No batteries by the sound of it. That combined with a backboiler stove, like the Erin from stanley, and radiator thermostats and 30cm of insulation has the potential to give all the hot water and space heating that I need in my new, as yet unbuilt, house. And they are in Mayo too......

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

The Turbine was a Windsave one. (Could they not have come back on a day that happened to have a bit of wind? They were gong on about how windy a country we were and in all the shots of turbine you see it's not rotating at all)

I think Surface Powers are cheaper though.

You can watch the program on the rte website.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Aye that was Windsave alright. Worth your while doing a search on boards for threads regarding them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Well, we were there on Sunday, and what a disaster it was. Nobody to give us any information at all. Not about windenergy, not abnout solarpower, Nothing!. The windturbine looked shabby. The only info somebody could give us, was that the windturbine was a 1kw one and costs around 2500.00 euro. Ha!
    Have you seen " it's not easy to be green" yesterday? Windturbines in the UK are a lot cheeper, so if we are going for that it will definately not come from ireland.

By the way. Dick Strawridge has his own webside www.dickstrawbridge.com and on thee you'll find a lot of info andaddresses

Advertisement