Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Electricity Usage Factor with Skype

Options
  • 06-05-2006 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I've been trying to work out the best options around VOIP. Skype seems great in that there are 275 million Skypers. However, I have one issue. Being Green conscious, I don't want to have my PC running all day and evening, to catch one or two calls. Has anybody factored the cost of running a PC in relation to 'cheap' or 'free' phone calls?

One analysis pointed to a consumption rate of 150watts. This gives a usage of 2.7KWh in 18 hours. Say I'm actually using the computer for two-three hours. That's a lot of electricity used/wasted just to receive a few phone calls. At approx 13 cent per KWh my free phone calls and ability to receive them is costing maybe 30cent a day.

But it's not really the cost I'm concerned about, its the energy wastage. Any views?

SIP VOIP doesn't require this wasteful setup eg blueface. The electricity saving alone would pay the Blueface basic monthly charge.

Eugene

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

There are Skype appliances, like Skype phones. Not sure there's much point in getting one, though. If you want to use a phone, use VoIP along the lines of Blueface.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ecallan

Yes there are Skype phones but they plug into the PC!

There are Skype phones that don't need a PC but you're probably talking €100+ for one.

Haven't seen those. Any idea of make & model?

If you google for "skype phone" you'll see a few. I don't know if they're all available here, but Linksys does one for instance. Netgear will launch one soon. Skype also has a JV with a DECT phone manufacturer, but I can't remember which. Phillips maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Check out www.smart076.ie VOIP's service. No monthly subscription like Blueface. You can have the service running without the need of having your PC turned on, with the aid of a PAP2 ATA box. I have it set up in two locations without any problems.

I would not deal with Smart Telecom if they were the last company on earth. I'd resort to smoke signals! Smart promised us DSL broadband in July 2005. Having spent months waiting they eventually fitted their exchange equipment on our now disconnected Eircom line. But alas no DSL a few engineers called and scratched their heads and said 'I'll be back'. Months later after number non-returned calls and emails, they said 'we waiting for new better equipment...that will work'. Months later, new equipmentment fitted...no DSL broadband. During all this time Smart were happily debiting our bank account on a monthly basis for Broadband! At this Smart went completely silent to phone calls, letters, emails. We then informed Smart to disconnect the line and return our broadband monthly rental money...silence.

Smart are the worst company I have ever dealt with in terms of service, customer service and accounts. We still haven't received our refund and are looking at legal options.

Also, Smart076 is not cheap for mobiles (nor blueface) But International calls are cheaper with Blueface eg Germany (Smart 2.5-3cpm / Blueface 1.4cpm).

I think the best setup is BtIreland Talk+Broadband package (€4 cheaper line rent), combined with Blueface basic package and a Sipura 3000 ATA. With this setup I get cheap and free local, national and international calls with blueface, but I use btireland pstn for mobile calls!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I use Smart076 and have found them efficient in sending out the ATA and efficient in dealing with queries.

Ecallan wrote:
    I think the best setup is BtIreland Talk+Broadband package (€4 cheaper line rent), combined with Blueface basic package and a Sipura 3000 ATA. With this setup I get cheap and free local, national and international calls with blueface, but I use btireland pstn for mobile calls!

This is the cheapest option if you have a phone line: http://www.call13434.ie

0.5c to most destinations, mobiles 10c on weekdays, 5c on weekends.

Advertisement