Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Pellet Advice

Options
  • 06-05-2006 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I am currently building a new house with a garage. I plan to use the
    wood
    pellet system to heat my home. I also plan to get a hopper to store the
    pellets which i will put in the garage. My garage is 6m by 7. Can you
    give
    me any guide on garage design. Also does the hopper come complete or
    does it
    have to be assembled. Will my garage door be big enough to allow it to
    fit
    in.
    Is there an opening in the garage wall to allow for delivery of the
    pellets.
    I plan to put the hopper at the back of the garage along side the
    boiler.
    Secondly should I get a back up system and install a stanley stove with
    a
    back boler and heating for approx 8 rads. I have two open fires.
    Thank in advance of your advice,
    Regards, Celine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

If you have two open fires it is like having the glass broken in two windows.
    They suck out 75% of the heat from your house.
    What kind of house are you building and where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭boomshackala

8 rads, pellet burner, back boiler, 2 open fires.....sounds like a classic case of impracticality. I'm of the impression that people are getting high felutin ideas about wood pellet, geothermal etc. and forgetting the basic thing. If you don't insulate well your costs will be just as high....If oil dropped in price tommorrow to a third, I bet people would just leave 3 times as much heat on! Back to op; drop the open fires and stove and just heat your house according to your needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Instead of the open fires, why not put in pot belly stoves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ronanm98

Hi,

I am building the house in Dungloe, Co. Donegal in a boggy area close to sea. Approx 1900 sq.ft, dormer bungalow with three bedrooms.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

ronanm98 wrote:
    Hi,

I am building the house in Dungloe, Co. Donegal in a boggy area close to sea. Approx 1900 sq.ft, dormer bungalow with three bedrooms.
    Another one-off, further destroying the once beautiful coastline of Donegal. Please tell me it's not so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I do believe the open chimney issue has been dealt with in Gardening and DIY.

Some hoppers arrive in kit form others are already built, that applies to both small (up to 300 Kg) and large tanks for bulk storage.

If you can spare the room it is possible to build your own bulk storage tank in the garage, a floor area of 2 m x 1.5 with a height of 2.4 m will allow you to store approx 5 tonnes of fuel.

It is important to dry line the block walls with 50 x 25 mm laths and fix plywood to them to prevent any dampness reaching your pellet fuel.

The floor can be sloped at approx 30 degrees to a point to allow your auger to rest at the bottom of your tank and use the fuel evenly preventing a build up of dust (please note this is not permitted if using a Gerkros system).

As you are most likely aware pellet boilers only burn wood pellet although some can use barley, personally I am not comfortable with the idea of burning good food.

Therefore the option of a wood burning / multi fuel stove is possibly a good one, both systems can be linked to your heating system.

I agree that insulation is possibly one of the best value for money expences incurred when building a house as it dictates your fuel usage for the life of the house.

Advertisement