Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sustainable Villages

Options
  • 06-05-2006 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

Is there any more Sustainable Villages being built, I know about the one in Cloughjordan.

Is there one being built in Offaly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭boomshackala

Heard the Clockjordan one is held up because the dumb ass council wants them to put in social and affordable housing...anyone have any updates on this?

http://www.thevillage.ie/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ooh that interesting, social and affordable housing, hmm, the people doing this have to have alot of money to do this, its an experiment not something everybody could afford, I prefer to see a group of environmentalist buy up a cul de sac in the suburbs and show the way like that.

theres is suppose to a 20 percentage or something like that or a fee to get around it, god I would say they shoudln't have to do it, they are already doing enough for the area, but its interesting if has to apply to all other private developements it should apply to them...

Why should it apply to them...they are a non profit organization. Every person buys a site and pays a proportion of development of ameneties.

As we already are taxed to take care of those less fortunate I don't agree with it in the first place...but this takes the biscuit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yes your right, non-profit is the answer to that question. end of

I don't know what the councillors motivation for blocking it on this is ?

but is sustainability affordable, it does show that the village is mere experiment, how would future projects deal with providing 'social housing'.

By buying into this type of thing there is an added incentive to make this type of thing work and co-operate when required..maybe I'm wrong but I suspect that when getting a house for free, there is not the same incentive to do this..

• Advertisement
Advertisement