Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opening up a HP compaq nx9010

Options
  • 05-05-2006 11:16pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone help me with this? I've had a few issues with the laptop and so I decided to crack it open, but there seems to be something I'm missing.

I've unscrewed all the screws on the bottom and back, and the front, sides and one half of the back pop up no problem at all, but there's something stopping me from getting the whole thing off... am I missing something?

There is a screw in the laptop that is loosened but isn't falling out (It's certainly unscrewed, just stuck... and the part that wont unclip seems to be away from it anyway).

Any advice??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Take a pic? There usually screws covered with rubber stubs.

And what do you hope to know from opening it?

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

OK: I managed to get it open and find the source of the problem.. fixing it (asap) is another thing.

The problem I've been having is with the AC lead (the part that goes into the laptop), what I've discovered from opening it up is this; the socket is standard enough, circular with a small metal 'pole' in the middle... something that suits any of the pictured plugs here:http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/42622i0.jpg

Anyway, that little 'pole' in the socket has started to push back into the laptop, so when I put the plug in, its not connecting... I'm now trying to figure out a way to keep the 'poll' in place... a temporary measure will do, I just need it for another week and a half (until final deadlines) and then I'll happily launch it from a great height...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

i had a problem the same as yours and in the end i had to desolder the three legs which sit down inti the motherboards PCB and i got a new socket from peats for something like 90c try not get the ones from maplins as the leg config is slightly different and just solder it back on "useing just the right amount of solder .
    i know this is more than you want to do with it just now before your finals but its harder to find a quick fix for this as the pole runs out the back and then drops down and turns into one of the legs and i think it holds the pos+ charge and at the back it comes very close to the neg- charge leg which starts inside the walls around the pole ..
    so if you use something to force the pole back in fron the back of it you will have no where to secure it to ,plus if you do find somewhere to attach it to make sure you dont use any thing the can hold a current .

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

The power connector for the nx1090 is not readily available....well none I would happily use. To be honest the old system of either solder or superglue should hold the pole in place temporarily. Its a very common issue with that series bloody hp

Many thanks for the replies; sadly Maplins in my only choice (in UK at the moment); but I'll ask around, and solder/glue it back if I can't find a replacement.

• Advertisement

can anyone tell me how to get the exact name for the part... by the looks of things soldering didn't do anything; it seems to have completely gone on me....

I'll probably only be able to get it in maplin though... which is a pain in the ass.

edit: Oh, and final question (and one that will probably make it clear how little I know about this), but does the replacement have to be the exact same as the one currently in the machine? The type of adapter I have is one with swappable heads, which means that I can use it on just about any type of socket once the voltage is right (which I assume is not determined by the little socket but I could be wrong!), so could I get any type of socket replacement (even if I did have to narrow choice down to one voltage) and use that instead?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

the power cable that you must be using is an universal one which you buy in the likes of maplins for 30 euros you have different heads for different sockets and you also have a volt changer on it aswell with the likes of 15 to 21 volts ...
    it doesnt really matter which top you put on to it as long as you have it on the right voltage for the laptop .
    heres what your looking for the black one on the right altough i did use the one on the left once aswell with three wires soldered to each leg and then to the mobo but dont do this ...just use the one on ethe right desolder the old one and then solder the three legs into the holes left from the old one .

http://www.radionics.ie/cgi-bin/bv/browse/Module.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0824112851.1147107661@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddhkdgmfjkcefeceefdffhdfij.0&cacheID=ieie&3324560688=3324560688&catoid=-319383611
    xgfd5d.jpg

i hope this helps its called a PCB mount socket , best of luck with it and try to put enough solder on it so when you plug it in it stays on the motherboard and doesnt come loose again ... but not to much and dont put the solder anywhere eles except on the three legs or youll fry the mobo ....best of luck with it ...let us know how it goes for you

Advertisement