Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz or Work

Options
  • 05-05-2006 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. Im 29 and have never done the Australia thing. I really want to go sometime but im just so afraid that when I come back Ill be in the same situation as now.
    I started a new job as an engineer last november for a 6 month contract and that is now finished. So should I continue to persue that career and get two years experience under my belt (as this seems to be the minimum required to get a job anywhere these days) and then go. Or should I just not worry about it a go now.

Every time I see a job advertised in the paper I quiver with the thought of moving to that place and settling down. Ive got a girlfriend aswell for 5 years and Im just so afraid of settling down having never done the backpacking thing.

Has anyone been in this situation before? What age were you when you went travelling? Did you find it easy to get work when you came back?

Ive been very unsettled for so long now, dont know weather Im coming or going... My girlfriend is putting up with alot of s**t

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Well dude, im afraid your boned

You need to be under 28 to qualify for the temporary year/2 year visa, so you need to get the experience and go for the full visa to go to Australia.

Alternatively take a month (6 weeks ideally) holiday, fly into Cairns and work your way to Sydney. A month is just enough to get 90% of the good stuff done, great barrier, Fraiser island, Whitsundays etc. And it should leave you a few days to fart around Sydney

I went straight (well at end of summer) after my degree. I was so pissed off in Ireland i just had to get away. I did the year long thing, and it is so bloody worth it man.

Talk to your g/f, get her to go with you, it is such an amazing country, you wont be dissappointed.

If your going to go, september is good, the weather isnt too hot, but its plenty for the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well actually you need to be 30 to qualify fo a visa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Tim06

i reckon that you should go. its obviously something that you want to do. you say that your gf is putting up with a lot of sh1t at the mo, thing is if you don't go you could end up resenting her for it. Its an amazing year out, does take time to settle when you come back but definatly something that you should do if you have the opertunity to, which you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

From the sounds of it, I think you should just do it or else you will always wonder on what you missed out on. You have to apply before you reach 30.

You can progress in your career in Australia as well so will not necessarily be back where you started when you return. It is also possible that a company out there might sponsor you to work there for longer... you never know where it could take you.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

well lad i was in the same situation only two years ago. i had a very good job plumbing foreman with the same employer for 8yrs.
    all my mates had done the oz trip when we finished school but i had started my training, so didnt want to chuck it in then, was pissed of they went but got over it.
    anyway i decided to go two years ago with my ex the trip started great but as the weeks slowly passed i soon realised it wasnt for me. found out the ex cheated on me there.

its not as easy as everone makes out to get a decent job. now maybe that was because i had a good job back home and if your only out of school as a young 18/19 yr old would more than likely wouldnt have a good job anyway,
    so going from a foreman to picking fruit or whatever comes up isnt exactally inviting. i had jobs ranging from cleaning up sites to selling tickets.

now i met great people over there and had some amazing experiences but i decided after about 3 months to forget about looking for a job and the last 6 weeks i had a blast i broke up with the girl over there didnt look back.

when i came home my old boss heard and was over offering my job back with a few extras :D so i snapped it back still with him now.

if i had the chance to do it again i would go but only as a holiday think u really need to be young to truely enjoy it and have no responsibilitiys back home.

btw i was 27 going over

now i know everyone is different and some people would have the best time and others the worst the only way of finding out is to go.

if it doesnt work out at least you went but if u never go u will never know and you will always regret that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

You can only have as much fun as you're willing to have. OP, if you feel that this is something you need to do then you should do it. Your life will still be in Ireland when you get back. If your girlfriend won't go with you or won't wait for you while you're gone then that's her loss. I'd advise that you have plenty of money before you go so you don't have to worry about working and you can just enjoy yourself, travel and work to supplement yourself - not to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

u should go, u only live once if u dont u just might regret it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Apply for the visa anyway. You have to apply before you are 30 and then you have a year to use it.

At the end of the day no one can tell you what to do, its a personal choice. My opinion would be to go, at the end of the day you have to rest of your life to spend working in Ireland. You'd be surprised how little things change at home during a year away.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Definately go!!!!

Travelling and living in a foreign country is the best experience anyone can ever get. You meet new people, experience different cultures etc and make you into a better, well rounded person.

You will always regret it if you don't go. And what it will do is either make you realise that the job you're in is what you want to do and Ireland is the place for you or make you think about how your life is going and that the career/life you have is not what you want.

And I think engineers are on the skills shortage list so it would be easy to get a job/visa over there if you want.

Good Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Go or you'll regret it - imagine you at 80 on your death bed, thinking about your decision not to go to Australia...

• Advertisement
Advertisement