Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My internal wireless card

Options
  • 05-05-2006 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭

I'm having some problems with my wireless card, which is built in to my laptop. Its a "Ralink RT2500 Wireless LAN Card", and my laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Notebook.
    When I'm using the wireless network in college (the library to be exact), my connection regulary drops. Now this doesn't happen in other parts of the college, such as lecture halls. Does anybody know if there is any settings I can tweak on the computer? Has anybody had similar problems with this card? Is the re just a problem with the card? Note also that some of my mates don't have this problem with their laptops, but none of them have the same laptop as mine.

Any help is much appriciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

I had a problem like this with mine (Intel pro wireless) and I increased the power on the card to max.

I don't know if you can do this with your card in the software!

Are you losing signal strength in that area? Is there alot of metal in the room.

Have you installed the latest drivers for the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Right, so I can't increase the power. Theres a fair amount of metal up here (UCD Library), and loads of others are on their laptops too. Mabye that could be a reason?

Could be,

When you lose the connection does the signal strength drop too.

Download the latest drivers, this may help.

The aerials for the card are most likly in the LCD (dont cover this), if you know where the wireless access point in in the library face the laptop (line of sight) to the access point.

This may help.

This could be also due to the amount of users as well (if you lose connection and not signal strength )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

The signal doesn't drop. It stayed on either "excellent" or "very good". There are no drivers out there at the moment (that I can find anyway). I could have been covering the LCD, as that is where I would rest my wrist while typing, or else it was just the amount of users connected to that network.

Thanks again for the help Tommy.

I am currently having a problem on my home wireless. My signal strength is strong too, but i cant access the web.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Notorious, loads of people using wireless in library these days at exams. Some AP get overloaded and sometimes your connection will drop. Not much you can do about it I'm afraid.

Advertisement