Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the internet is evil

Options
  • 04-05-2006 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the problem is with the internet today, I've been at three seperate computers and I've never seen so many "Network Error Messages" in my life. This is really irritating because I'm trying to find books in the online Library catalogue and I keep having to start over.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Having the same problems on the CSIS wireless network. No idea what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭teresasaunt

Speaking of internet problems, anyone know why GMail usually hangs for a while when using the college network on your laptop??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

There seemed to be a lot of proxy errors alright when I was in CSIS earlier on.

teresasaunt, GMail is sometimes a bit finicky anway, wouldnt say it has anything to do with the network.

Now for the technical explanation for the internet errors:
    <nerd>
    The data packets that run through the ethernet wires kept on running up against the firewall which was blocking the linux from corresponding with the TCP/IP stack, and it was causing a buffer overflow problem on the Wi-Fi network. Unfortunately the only way to solve this would be to subnet the entire fibre line, and to convert over to a UDP based protocol instead of the USB one they are using now. This wont happen because Microsoft and Dell want every one to be on the USB standard, because only Red Hat uses the UDP, and as you can see the entire college runs on Dell and Microsoft. So in the end what they should really do is upgrade all the servers to PHP.
    </nerd>

Damn, I used the wrong tags, should have used my <bull****> tags :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Pete your bull**** knows no bounds these days :P

Was getting those errors quite a bit earlier on today but it seems to be fixed now. It looks like there was something wrong with one or more of the proxy servers. If I remember correctly Skynet also run a proxy server which is handy if ITD's one's aren't working correctly although you may have to be a member to use it.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bounceymousey

Internet is pretty slow to start up! Its annoyin if ur tryin to find someting in a rush!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

What do you mean by "starting up"? I presume you're referring to how long it takes for something like IE to load when you double click on the icon. It's pretty slow on the older computers in the college. UL's Internet connection is pretty reliable on the whole given that UL is the HEAnet POP in Limerick.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I didn't realise this topic was gonna be about technical difficulties with the internet, I thought it was going to be about the internet being evil in general. I'd agree with the second proposition, especially in times when I'm supposed to be busy, like now, with only 1 week to go before my first exam. Why? Well I get up early to go to college to go studying, in the library by 9 o'clock, but obviously I can't start straight into it then can I? I've emails to check (my ul account, gmail, 2 hotmail ones and one campus.ie account, I think that's the lot) Then of course one of the hotmail ones will inevitably lead me to my bebo account, which will eat up another 20 minutes... then of course I can't start studying without knowing what's going on in the world, so it's off with me to ireland.com, rte.ie/sport, with a bit of football365.com thrown in on the side. Why not head over to boards.ie to see if there's anything interesting going on there? I might come across an intersesting link, which might remind me that there was something I wanted to look up on wikipedia, and then I won't remember if I had checked one of my email accounts so I'll go back and check it again. Only then, maybe at about half ten, will I leave the computer to go studying, only to meet someone who's going on a break so I obviously join them, and by the time I return from my coffee I realise I had to print out notes from public folders, and also send a fairly important email, and the whole vicious cycle starts again...

Advertisement