Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point in getting Daggerfall?

Options
  • 04-05-2006 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Yo folks,
    I've played Morrowind to bits and am currently in the process of doing the same to Oblivion. I was just wondering if there's any point in trying to track down a copy of Daggerfall. Has it dated horribly or is it still playable, and for that matter will I have any difficulty in getting it to play on a modern rig?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Still lives on in my life
    Play it every week and have done for almost seven years.
    You must get the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

rip2roar wrote:
    You must get the game!

respect my friend respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Double :( it's going for about €40 on ebay and can't be found on any of my normal game sites. Oh well I'll keep trawling for it. Bound to be out there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I dunno about daggerfall, but the earlier one Arena is downloadable for free on their site here.:) You could probably give it a go, and if you can put up with it than you will be grand for daggerfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

rip2roar wrote:
    You must get the game!

Thats just scary...

• Advertisement

Cheers m8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

It's the best of the series.
    If you have Morrowind and the Bloodmoon expansion you can get a bit of a taste of Daggerfall by trying out my Morrowind mod: http://disland.net/privateers_hold/privateers_hold.htm

Privateer's Hold is the starting out dungeon from Daggerfall.

jman0 wrote:
    It's the best of the series.
    If you have Morrowind and the Bloodmoon expansion you can get a bit of a taste of Daggerfall by trying out my Morrowind mod: http://disland.net/privateers_hold/privateers_hold.htm

Privateer's Hold is the starting out dungeon from Daggerfall.

Nice one, i'd say my Nvidia GeForce 256 (yes the 32mb one) just might play these games.......just

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Vegeta wrote:
    Nice one, i'd say my Nvidia GeForce 256 (yes the 32mb one) just might play these games.......just

Are you talking about Daggerfall or Morrowind?

If Daggerfall then i'd guess that your system is overpowered.
    I run DF on a first generation pentium 166mhz with 16mb ram.
    People used to play it on a 486.
    If you have anything higher than a pentium II, you may need a utility to slow down your cpu.

jman0 wrote:
    Are you talking about Daggerfall or Morrowind?

If Daggerfall then i'd guess that your system is overpowered.
    I run DF on a first generation pentium 166mhz with 16mb ram.
    People used to play it on a 486.
    If you have anything higher than a pentium II, you may need a utility to slow down your cpu.

Meant Daggerfall

Man i thought Daggerfall was a little more system hungry than that, thats some low specs right there.

I find it amazing that some of the older games which have really low system specs are just so good with regards gameplay.

Just goes to show that no matter how flashy games get graphics will never make up for tripe game play. cough perfect dark zero cough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Vegeta wrote:
    Meant Daggerfall

Man i thought Daggerfall was a little more system hungry than that, thats some low specs right there.

I find it amazing that some of the older games which have really low system specs are just so good with regards gameplay.

Just goes to show that no matter how flashy games get graphics will never make up for tripe game play. cough perfect dark zero cough

ROFL, the graphics aren't even that great in it, just HD... oh, O/T ps3 has been priced... Yowzah.....

yeah well it is still a cheap blu ray player at 600 euro but the controller is very funny. Think they would have been nuts to stick with the banana boomerang thingy.

I am not really excited about it at all especially when it will probably break after 12 months anyway

I am way more looking forward to the Wii.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

If there was a Ctrl - Alt - Del on the PS3 it would probably crash the universe.... And delete itself and the user from existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i just downloaded that Arena game and boy does it look dated now and very chunky but probably the height of gaming way back when

superfly wrote:
    i just downloaded that Arena game and boy does it look dated now and very chunky but probably the height of gaming way back when

Yeah its an oldy alright but as you say in its day i'm sure people were well impressed

Well I finally succeeded in getting a copy of it but I cant get the sound to work. Man it's hard to believe the changes that have taken place in the last 10 or so years.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Vodka Junkie

I was reading up on Daggerfall there during my... ummm... Designated break from study... OK I was dossing you happy now?!! Is it true that if Morrowind is about 10km^s (including water) and Oblivion is about 16 km^2. Daggerfall is actually about the size of Britain? That's insane if it's true!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Yes that is true, Daggerfall and Arena have insanely huge landmasses. It would take a very long time to walk from one edge of the game world to the next. But the majority of the game world in Arena and Daggerfall is randomly generated.

And because of the sheer size of elder scrolls games they have numerous bugs and glitches.

I know Daggerfall is problematic when you try to run it on Windows XP, but I have Arena running without dosbox or anything on it.

I got Daggerfall running no probs on Xp pro, bar the no sound issue. Googlify "dfinstall.exe" and use this proggy to install. Also check this for a quick guide if you'd prefer to go the Dosbox route.
    http://www.oblivionsource.com/?style=lib&page=library&op=view&id=34

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Vodka Junkie

Cool when I get a chance I'll have to investigate the acquiring of said DaggerFall so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement