Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College..messing me around about repeating..

Options
  • 03-05-2006 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I droppped out of first year this year with a view to repeating the same course next year. I did not officially withdraw from the course because I was unsure about what exactly to do. Eventually my class ehad told me to Contact the admissions office to be removed from the exam list and have my place deffered until next year. I e-mailed (After Hours) the admissions office yesterday and got a one lined reply saying I had to apply to the CAO to get entry into the course again next year. I am really annonyed now because nobidy in the college wants anything to do with it.. I was always under the impression that once you are in a college youcan change course or apply to repeat a year while keeping all the formalities within the college, no need for CAO etc etc..
    I am going to go to the college in the morning to get some proper answers.
    If all comes to all I can just leave things the way they are and not do any of the exams and fail. Get notified and tell them that I will repeat the year again. This is the last thing I want to do as it will be down as my second attempt of first year and I don't want that on my track record.

Should I just apply for the course through CAO again and hope for the best.. TBH I think this would be a dodgy move as this would guarantee me a place in college next year and I really want to go back.

Thanks for listening and any decent replies greatly appreciated.

Hakko

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

General rule: When dealing with large organisations the representives of the organisation do not know all the rules, they might have some ideas, but don't want to commit to anything in writing, they will demonstrate this by ignoring emails, or taking ages to reply with token answers.

The way forward is to simply ask them for the name of the rule book, and then to read that yourself. These days for a college this will be a PDF somewhere on their website, possibly you'll have to use the college network because the web server might restrict the URL by IP.

Alternatively call over to the admissions office in person or by phone, as I said people are careful about what they say in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

I went down with my mam the last week and spoke with my class head...
    He rang the admissions office and the woman he was speaking to on the phone gave him the name of someone else in admissions.. Talk about sharing out the paperwork!!
    All sorted now anyway...

Thanks anyway Vector!

Hakkko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Don't suppose this was DCU by any chance? Rule of thumb when things aren't happening for you - include their managers in the e-mail.

I had a bitch of a time with accommodation office at colllege. They were being assy and pissey. I wrote a nice e-mail including the head of accommodation office and vice dean of the college. Got it all sorted

Advertisement