Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backwax embarassment

Options
  • 03-05-2006 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

The problem is I have a hairy back that I want to get waxed but hate goin to beauty salons. Its very embaressing sitting in the waiting room with a load of women waiting to be seen. I find this part even worse than the pain of the wax. When I've had it done before i wasnt workin a 9 to 5 so could pick their quiet times but now if i went it would be their peak times. Any advice on what to do here anyone? I really think if they opened a male only grooming parlour it would do well in Dublin, must be lots of guys that would like to get this kind of stuff done but dont like the embaressment of the giggling girls in the waiting room. Dont suppose their is one in dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

There used to be a male only place in Temple Bar but it closed, surpriseing because I thought it would of done good business.

Can you arrange to take your lunch at a different time, say maybe 11;00 so you can go when it's quiet. You can tell your boss you need to see the doctor about something.

alternatively if you can only go when it's busy, bring a magazine with you and stick your head in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

No big deal! It really isn't that embarrassing that you want to remove some excess hair. Women aren't going to be giggling at you, we're not that bad! If I saw a man in a salon I wouldn't even think twice about it. Just get it done where ever and don't mind anyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

When I get a hairy back (and believe me its coming) I wouldnt hesitate getting it done. Dont mind the women. If some of them didnt have it done, they would probably be hairier than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

You are right in that bodycare it is something that's seriously missing in Ireland. I live in Vietnam and as part of a haircut you get a (neck, shoulders, arms)massage, facial and if you want pedicure/manicure. I thought it was all mega girly before I tried it. It makes my week every time I go. Think 3 young hot asian girls massaging your arms, legs and head/face at the same time. Margaret thatcher always comes to mind.. She has to.
    Body massages, waxings, eye/ear treatments, saunas, steamrooms etc are also available. These are everywhere. Its part of life here. All of it is above board and prices range from pennies to serious pounds.
    I will be searching for similar in Ireland when I get back. Well worth it, no matter the price.

As for your problem, ask your local barber. He will know somewhere. Also you could just try booking your trips to the salon. Any decent place will keep the waiting to a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Get a friend or a partner to do it for you, either wax or a hair removal creme

A friend of mine used to get his sister or mother to shave his back each time before we went of on holidays, I even offered to do it, but he didn't trust me, but there's nothing to be embarrassed about.

I have a few stray hairs and I get them plucked every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I can only imagine my friends reaction if I asked them now that would be embarassment lol, think i will just have to suck it up and go some sat. anyone know any good ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah get outta that will ya! Men more than women go to salons these days anyway, dont worry your head OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Why not look for a salon that has late opening? There are some that stay open to 8 or 9 pm (not many in the city centre, but plenty in the suburbs). Perhaps your local gym has a salon?

Alternatively look for a salon that is far away from where you live/work that you won't by recognized by passing nosey souls :)

However, I'd like to echo Fuzzywiggle - I wouldn't give a damn if a bloke walked into a salon while I was in the waiting room. You could be going in for any number of treatments... none of which are anybody else's business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭man-in-cognito

I go to Re:Fresh in Westwood Clontarf to get my back and shoulders done. I go once a month or so. I go weekday evenings, and have never been waiting with women.

I'm a member of the gym, but that just means I get a slight discount. You should try them out, they do a good job.

MIC.

Advertisement