Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If We Suck then U2 Suck!

Options
  • 03-05-2006 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

With no real evidence of any talent whatsover Snow Patrol are fast becoming one of the most popular acts in the British Isles.

Glen Hansard(Irish musician) believes they're jumping on the mellow indie rock bandwagon that Acts like the Frames, Mundy & Damien Rice have been driving for the past few years.

"I mean f*uck them, they hear bands like the frames, steal their depressing indie charms, and then by making it cheerful, 15 year olds who fancy guys with long hair start snapping up albums. And making indie sound cheerful is the worst thing any musician can do."

Snow patrol frontman Gary Lightbody disagrees. He suggests Snow Patrol are exactly what people want.

"Not everyone wants to listen to album upon album of pretentious males & unusually pretty females moaning about sh*t. But they still want the image that's associated. Snow Patrol are a happy medium. And if you say we suck, just bear in mind you're insulting every U2 album ever created. We played at their show in the biggest stadium in Ireland."

Bertie Ahern recently legalised lynching of those who insult U2 after what they've done for Ireland & Music. The dispute was later settled when Hansard smashed Mic Christopher's guitar into Lightbody's face. Bono hasn't commented.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

Did you make that up yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Irish music makes me cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

his face will probably loko better now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I have to say that Snowpatrol make me cry now. They really and truly sold out with their past two albums, they even sung on that Do they know its Christmas "remix" iirc.

The first two albums of theirs were and still are amazing, really cutting edge punky rock...but alas they are now mainstream and churning out the same vegeterian indie pock rock as every other band out there. Poo on you snowpatrol...however the Reindeer Section is fronted by Gary Lightbody and i do like em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

Hahahah, best thread ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the frames, damien rice, u2, snow patrol... ugh, thats the stuff the play in army camps to torture you...instead of them pulling the trigger the music makes you

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Snow Patrol's first two albums were good - rocky, almost grungey guitars and some real tunes. Then they turned into a Cockplay tribute band :(

I'm going to sound like a real Indie Rock Pete, but I remember seeing them in Whelans and they had the place jumping, nowadays they'd send a retirement home to sleep.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

glen hansard insulting snow patrol for being bland? And the reply i think was possibly worse... what utter ****e they are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

snow patrol are the most annoying band i've ever seen live. Frames a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Everyone will have a different opinion on this-although this whole "sold out" thing really annoys me.
    Most of the bands mentioned in the thread thus far I listen too because I like their music.
    It appears that the majority like their music (yes, I know that this doesnt make them good) but it also doesnt mean that they have sold out!
    It appears that when a band become successful they have sold out-bands need to make money-they need to produce music that will appeal to the masses-hence they may need to change their style of music to make money-if their earlier music wasnt appealing to the masses they will not last long.
    And if you only like a bands earlier music then you should perhaps just keep listening to those albums.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

I'm lucky that I can't stand any of the bands mentioned here, so its all the same to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

"I mean f*uck them, they hear bands like the frames, steal their depressing indie charms, and then by making it cheerful, 15 year olds who fancy guys with long hair start snapping up albums. And making indie sound cheerful is the worst thing any musician can do."

Yeah! I mean, we all know how universally hated bands like "The Flaming Lips" are.

OMG!! It's in the major scale!!11! It must be crap!!1ELEVEN!1

Get a clue before you go pasting ridiculous statements like that, where people can be influenced by it. Snow Patrol are terrible, but not because of the reasons you've stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hey, wasn't he quoting what another person said??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Steven wrote:
    Snow Patrol are terrible, but not because of the reasons you've stated.

i would strongly disagree. The last two albums are cack but their first two are utterly amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Jesus people dont start burning the poor f***ers out of thier houses. Ok so i never knew snow patrol in thier Whelans days etc...But thier ok, I tap my foot when they play, I saw them once and even bought an album....Is this not how music works? If this was the attitude i'm sure The stone roses would have never made it.....Only my opinion. As for the frames....we'll dont start me on those ''hang around like a bad smell f***ers'' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Since when can Glen "people just *like* us because they're lazy" Hansard become a spokesman for well, anything really...

I couldn't really care less about Snow Patrol, I view them in that sad middle of the road easy music to force upon people who don't really listen to music that intently but at least it's better than The Frames (haha).

I remember hearing a story about him getting slagged and he got all mad and started saying how if they were in a band they would suck or something... I dunno.

The Frames, writing music that they themselves can cry to for near 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Steven wrote:
    Yeah! I mean, we all know how universally hated bands like "The Flaming Lips" are.

OMG!! It's in the major scale!!11! It must be crap!!1ELEVEN!1

Get a clue before you go pasting ridiculous statements like that, where people can be influenced by it. Snow Patrol are terrible, but not because of the reasons you've stated.
    Did you read the closing paragraph? How could you have possibly thought it was real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Giblet wrote:
    Since when can Glen "people just *like* us because they're lazy" Hansard become a spokesman for well, anything really...

I couldn't really care less about Snow Patrol, I view them in that sad middle of the road easy music to force upon people who don't really listen to music that intently but at least it's better than The Frames (haha).

I remember hearing a story about him getting slagged and he got all mad and started saying how if they were in a band they would suck or something... I dunno.

The Frames, writing music that they themselves can cry to for near 15 years.

Agreed.
    How could you have possibly thought it was real?
    Damn :D

In my defence, most of it does sound like the kind of crap that Hansard and similarly trained baboons would get up to. I just thought the end was an amusing satire. ;) Does this mean that you posted this delightful little urine-extraction in order to defend Snow Patrol?
    I would strongly disagree. The last two albums are cack but their first two are utterly amazing.
    I haven't heard their first two albums. I said they are terrible.

Steven wrote:
    Damn :D

In my defence, most of it does sound like the kind of crap that Hansard and similarly trained baboons would get up to. I just thought the end was an amusing satire. ;) Does this mean that you posted this delightful little urine-extraction in order to defend Snow Patrol?

No, not quite, basically I heard a guy in work was defending them referencing the fact that they played with u2 in the biggest stadium in Ireland. As if that confirms they're great. And I always thought their music was easy listening ok but nowhere near as good as the media makes out, and they kinda take after the frames a bit but more upbeat. Hence the Hansard outburst. Then the U2 bit at the end because I can't stand the way they are\were good, but personally I don't think they're even the best band to come out of ireland in the last 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I cant believe Snow Patrol are being played on radio and TV, they're terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The jealousy in this thread is truly depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Dustaz wrote:
    The jealousy in this thread is truly depressing.

I agree. I'm close to locking the thread.

I'm not a fan of the Frames or Snow Patrol. Both are equally meh. However I do like that "Flame" song by Snow Patrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

John2 wrote:
    I agree. I'm close to locking the thread.

I'm not a fan of the Frames or Snow Patrol. Both are equally meh. However I do like that "Flame" song by Snow Patrol.

I think your talking about bellx1 .... either that or you are trying to be funny ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

No, just being muddled. Sorry about that folks, blame it on the exam stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Then the U2 bit at the end because I can't stand the way they are\were good, but personally I don't think they're even the best band to come out of ireland in the last 30 years

You should look out for an irish punk band called Paranoid Visions, they like taking the piss out of U2.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

kippy wrote:
    Everyone will have a different opinion on this-although this whole "sold out" thing really annoys me.
    Most of the bands mentioned in the thread thus far I listen too because I like their music.
    It appears that the majority like their music (yes, I know that this doesnt make them good) but it also doesnt mean that they have sold out!
    It appears that when a band become successful they have sold out-bands need to make money-they need to produce music that will appeal to the masses-hence they may need to change their style of music to make money-if their earlier music wasnt appealing to the masses they will not last long.
    And if you only like a bands earlier music then you should perhaps just keep listening to those albums.
    Kippy

If I were to write out my definition of selling out, it'd come pretty ****ing close to what you've just said.:p

You should look out for an irish punk band called Paranoid Visions, they like taking the piss out of U2.:)

Will do, Ro that Inose remark is genius

Advertisement