Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age difference

Options
  • 03-05-2006 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Recently ended a long term relationship of of 12 yrs, she was my one and only serious girlfriend. I'm 32 btw.
    When it comes to meeting women I just don't have the experience, haven't a clue what to say/do etc. However I have been "noticed" by a couple of younger girls (19-22) that I work with, the idea that they're interested is flattering but I feel that they are just too young. In fact the 19 year old gave out yards to me in the local disco because I WOULDN'T make a move on her!

Anyway my question is:
    What is the youngest age girl that a 32 yr old should get involved with?

This is a serious question, please none of the 'if they're old enough to...' or whatever.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Depends on where you are and what you want in life, to be honest.
    Are you ready to settle down with a mortgage etc? If so, you don't want to be thinking of younger girls, probably. Otherwise, see how it goes til you have a little more experience, perhaps. After a 12-year relationship, don't go for any more relationships for a while o.O

Generally I'd say 22+ - make sure they're at least finished college, if they went.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus thats a bit of a "how longs a piece of string type question". The honest answer is only you know what is right for you. If you like the woman and you get on well then there should be no real barriers.

But if I were in your position I would take a breather after ending a 12 year relationship...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

i agree, its completely up to you. I'm twenty and my boyfriend is 32, we've been together over a year and have been living together 7 months.. you really would never notice the difference!!!!

Age really isnt a barrier anymore, its all down to personal preferences!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Sony

Thats your decision mate - dont let anyone make that one for you

IMO anyone 18 + is fine but to be honest from my experience most women around 20 and under I wouldnt be interested in because theyre usually not mature enough...but thats not to say the girl in your case is'nt

If you like her and she likes you and neither have a problem with the age gap.... theres no problem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

For me I would see it as too young. I only tend to go for older girls. Just depends on who you are. Obviously you think they are too young, so they are for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

The answer is 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks so far for the replies...was waiting for a few shouts of pervert! or whatever.
    Anyway I'm not involved with anyone at the moment, not really looking for a relationship, just want a little fun in my life.....
    Thanks again all.

Repli: the answer is actually 42! (hgttg)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

My current b/f's nearly four years younger than me. I always though I'd never date anybody even six months younger than me til I met him. But it doesn't bother us at all. I don't think a person's age necessarily determines their maturity tbh. It depends on what feels right to you (and her).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Age in men is inversely proportial to pityful excuse of a beard tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's not inverse proportion, it's the (half the age + 7) idea.

I've a friend who's 19 and is going out with a 29 year old. They're happy but everyone we know thinks the age difference is too much. There's constant jokes about cradle snatching etc. If you think that wouldn't be a problem, then anybody over 18.

However, I think a girl over 22 would be more suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I never understand these threads. To the OP if everyone had said that your a pervert would you accept there answer and not act on it?

Its your life, do what you want. Once its not illegal you shouldnt be worried what people think. If you feel their to young they dont go out with them, if you think its fine then do. Dont ask other people what is acceptable for you do it and not do.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

that made me laugh! :D
    I hate beards! Always looks bedraggled no matter how fancy the style may be....
    Its your life, do what you want. Once its not illegal you shouldnt be worried what people think.

Well, I don't think the OP really worries about other people's reaction, but has not decided himself yet what to think about the girls advances.
    allnewtome wrote:
    Anyway I'm not involved with anyone at the moment, not really looking for a relationship, just want a little fun in my life.....
    If you are only looking for a little fun in your life, stop worrying. Just make sure you tell the girls what you are really up to, i.e. make sure they are not in love with you while you are only looking for fun. Be honest.

Generally, if you click you click and age is not an issue here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

allnewtome wrote:
    What is the youngest age girl that a 32 yr old should get involved with?

if both your heads are on the same page, age doesn't really come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The old rule of half your age + 7 is what you're lucking for. So 23 is the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

meowCat wrote:

that made me laugh! :D
    I hate beards! Always looks bedraggled no matter how fancy the style may be....

Tar. knows my b/f, so I think that's where the comment was coming from. And imo, the beard really suits him. :)

I had a b/f who was three years older than me, and a lot of the time it felt like I was dating a teenager. Sometimes you'd never have guessed he was older than me he was so immature on occassions. Age is just a number imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The old rule of half your age + 7 is what you're lucking for. So 23 is the number.
    Didn't know that...me & a 21 yr old hmmmmmmm :p

Good luck allnewtome, like the others have said it is totally up to you though the fact that you are even questioning her age might reflect the fact that you do think she is too young? Maybe. It's totally up to you though never mind what anyone else thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

It's pretty hard to put an age limit on something like that. People often appear more mature/immature than their years. It's really about how you feel/how you want to be perceived. If you like someone enough, you won't mind what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think if they are finished college and making money of their own then they are going to be a little bit more independent. Any younger then 20 could be abit dodgy, I slept with alot of older men when I was 18 and 19 and there was a massive difference between me and them.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

to: chucky the tree: "To the OP if everyone had said that your a pervert would you accept there answer and not act on it?"

I only posted the thread to get a general feeling about things, if I like someone and they like me, well it's a case of see what happens. I appreciate all the advice given and will listen to everyone's input but of course in the end I'm going to make up my own mind anyway. I know I'm not a pervert btw!

Obviously just because someone suggests something in a post doesn't mean I'm going to do it..by your logic if someone told me to jump off a cliff/marry the first girl I met then I would have to do it...

Advice and opinions are free but are guidelines only, it is my life after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

who says you have to get involved with anyone straight away?

just have a bit of fun for 6 months and see what happens....

remeber, its been a long time since you've been with a 19yr old so why not go back and see what its like...;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement