Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I eligible ...

Options
  • 03-05-2006 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm 18, unemployed, and never had a job. I'm living at home with my parents and am in my first year of college. I've been trying to get a job since my 16th birthday :( been to loads of interviews but unlucky every time. It kills me to be unemployed I really can't stand not having a job. I've tried nearly everywhere I live and it's come to the point where I've just given up. Verrry depressing. I'm perfectley healty and everything but I guess noone not even Super Value wants someone with no experience. I REALLY want a job...

I'm just wondering does anybody know if I am eligable for social wefare benefit.??? :(
    The last resort I know and It'll be even more depressing if I can't even get that...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

McDs hired me when I was just turning 17 and no experience, have you tried there or any fast food places? Or any on-campus work? Tescos?
    IIRC you aren't entitled to any without having worked but I could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Take a few step backs and look at yourself, why are they not hiring you? How are you in the interview? Have you done anything to prepare yourself and how is your appearance?

Dunnes, Roches, Penneys, Super valu etc do not require experience. I started working in Dunnes off license at the age of 14 stacking shelves and never had a problem getting a similar part-time job for years afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

hey there, im afraid that you would not be entitled to any social welfare payment (dole etc) because you are in full time education and therefore not available to work

Thats the way they work it, offer your sevices voluntarily for a couple of weeks, everyone loves a freebie and it will get your cv started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 areleaving

Oh yeah I've been to every fast food outlet I can think of most aren't hiring
    Dunnes, Roches, Penneys, Super valu
    Had interviews with all of them that's allot

I even got called back for a second interview with Dunnes last month but nooo. I got so close. I don't care if I have to clean toilets at this stage infact I envy toilet cleaners

My apperance is fine I'm a girl I'm skinny 5'7 I dress up for interviews I'm not a shy/quiet person either

Dreamer 7 wrote:
    Thats the way they work it, offer your sevices voluntarily for a couple of weeks, everyone loves a freebie and it will get your cv started!

:confused: what do you mean

EDIT What about if I drop out of college now would I be able to get it then for the summer???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

bars and hotels are always lookin for staff... I know it's crap work but it's a start.

seriously why do you want to drop outta college, do you not like it. If I remember correctly you used to be able to do 'community work' where the social welfare paid you something like £600 when I was in college don't know if they still do that though

When you say you get dressed up what do you mean? Do you mean like dressed up for a nite on the tiles or dresssed up in a nice 'suit' smart lookin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

areleaving wrote:
    I'm 18, unemployed, and never had a job. I'm living at home with my parents and am in my first year of college. I've been trying to get a job since my 16th birthday :( been to loads of interviews but unlucky every time. It kills me to be unemployed I really can't stand not having a job. I've tried nearly everywhere I live and it's come to the point where I've just given up. Verrry depressing. I'm perfectley healty and everything but I guess noone not even Super Value wants someone with no experience. I REALLY want a job...

I'm just wondering does anybody know if I am eligable for social wefare benefit.??? :(
    The last resort I know and It'll be even more depressing if I can't even get that...

If you are in full time education you probably won't qualify for the dole, but you may qualify for the grant based on your parents income.

Have you thought about trying to get a temp job in an area you are studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

You won't get the dole if you are in full time education. You might be able to get a County Council grant but that depends on which area you are in and your parents will need to be means tested.
    What part of the Country do you live in, perhaps someone on Boards knows of a company looking for part-time workers.
    thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

areleaving wrote:

First jobs can be hard to get and they are invariably rubbish. I got my first job when friends who worked in a supermarket recommended me.
    Do you have any friends who could do the same?

Also, I've heard that GIFT (those street fundraisers) will take anyone on who has a good bit of confidence. Then you would have some experience and hopefully a reference.
    There are also lots of seasonal jobs coming up in hotels etc.

What are you studying at college? Can you get a job related to your studies?
    Do they not have a careers/employment office there you could try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

^ Try not to encourage her to become a street fundraiser, theres enough of them around as it is.

It must be due to your interview technique. Theres a work forum on this site. Some of the threads give interview techniques etc might be worth a look. Also, try some on-line websites for jobs.

If your really desperate for money, click the link in my sig. Get some handy tips in their ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

to the OP,

i had loads of trouble getting summer work when i was in school/college too, in some towns u just CAN'T get a summer job cuz there just isnt that many to go round. it seemed to me like unless u knew someone working in a place already who could get u in, or unless yr relative/parents friends owned the business u'd never get a job, no matter how well u looked or came across in the interview.

i had to go out of town to get a job, and built up some little bits on my CV from work experience stuff and things like that to make it seem like i'd done more than i had. once i got to dublin there was no problem. dunno what the situation is like now for working in shop/restaurantish jobs but i assume spar/whatever would be really happy to get an irish person once in a while. i think cafe's mostly really like to hire italians/spanish/frnech people though...

anyway, maybe move away for the summer, or look outside yr locality for work. i know some hotels in places like achill hire people for the summer and gie u accomodation as part of yr pay. just an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Ag marbh wrote:
    Take a few step backs and look at yourself, why are they not hiring you? How are you in the interview? Have you done anything to prepare yourself and how is your appearance?

Dunnes, Roches, Penneys, Super valu etc do not require experience. I started working in Dunnes off license at the age of 14 stacking shelves and never had a problem getting a similar part-time job for years afterwards.

i got a job in dunnes aged 16 and worked there for three (horrible) years. i've always been of the opinion that as long as you don't say "i like to burn things" in the interview you'll be hired. there are people there who have almost no english and even people with downs syndrome. there's no reason they wouldn't hire you. i left there an went back. the second time it took longer but i put in a cv once a week for about three months and then they took me back.

but as people have said summer jobs are hard to find. i went a whole summer without a job, they only took me back in september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Something to remember is that if you're living at home with your parents the amount of dole you'll get will be pretty damn small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

If you live in Dublin or the surrounding area there is absolutely no way you cant get a job. However elsewhere it may be seasonal or else more competitive.
    Im finding it hard to believe that Dunnes Stores, and the fast food joints arent hiring you after interview. The interview is normally a formality (most decisions are made by the time your CV has been read, for first jobs). Perhaps It is here you need to concentrate. Either your appearance, communication skills or attitude is keeping the job offers at bay. Practice makes perfect though.
    Small things can down you in an interview. They only have first impressions by which to judge you. So for example if you have a nervous twitch, a stammer, bad hygiene, B.O., a beard/mustache, piercings, overweight, you are at a significant disadvantage. Then again, I know of people with all of the above problems and they sail through interviews...! Their good points way overshadowed the rest..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

If you are in college, and your college has a guidance counsellor, I would highly recommend talking to him/her. They could really help you out. Even if you talk to your secondary school's counsellor, I'm sure they would be happy to help. They have access to all your information, and have plenty of time to deal with you individually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭killswitch

what about ur physiscal appearance?have u facial piercings?tattoos?long hair?lost of ppl wont hire u if u have some of these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

trishw78 wrote:
    bars and hotels are always lookin for staff... I know it's crap work but it's a start.

seriously why do you want to drop outta college, do you not like it. If I remember correctly you used to be able to do 'community work' where the social welfare paid you something like £600 when I was in college don't know if they still do that though

No, unfortunately that isn't around anymore. I remember when I lived in Mayo before I came to college and all the students were getting paid to do work like paint walls while I had to work like a trojan in a restaurant to get paid crap money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

First things first... If you're in fulltime education, you're NOT unemployed.

I know it can be hard to get a first job, but keep plugging away. Have you tried for floorwork in a pub or anything. I got my first job working as a glass collector in a pub and never looked back.

I wouldn't worry about the people who knock you back and say no.

Another alternative is to contact a recruitment agency and see if they've any temp stuff going. It can be a great way to make a few quid while in college, and you'll learn loads. It may help your cause if you've got typing skills for data entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

charba wrote:
    No, unfortunately that isn't around anymore. I remember when I lived in Mayo before I came to college and all the students were getting paid to do work like paint walls while I had to work like a trojan in a restaurant to get paid crap money.

yeah I think a friend of mine had to take people off the voting register and put new ones on. She hated it knocking on peoples doors and asking did such and such a person live there to be told now there dead, and then ask is anyone old enough to vote thats not on the register

Okay today my dad was talking to his friend and I might get a job in BT woo but I'm at the stage where I don't get my hopes even for a second interview.
    for example if you have a nervous twitch, a stammer, bad hygiene, B.O., a beard/mustache, piercings, overweight, you are at a significant disadvantage.
    I've nothing about me that stands out like I'm not some weirdo with a twitch or something lol

Three of my friends were in the exact same position as me and the just got lucky. I'm in town 6 days a week usually.

I feel like screaming right now hah It's really depressing
    I handed around another few c.v's today I live in a big town next to the city so it's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere

I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it

I'm a chatty person as I said I'm not overweight no piercings besides the normal ones
    Im finding it hard to believe that Dunnes Stores, and the fast food joints arent hiring you after interview.
    Me too! That's whats making it so awful
    Another alternative is to contact a recruitment agency and see if they've any temp stuff going
    Where can I find out about that?
    Something to remember is that if you're living at home with your parents the amount of dole you'll get will be pretty damn small.
    Actually I checked it out and it's even less than my pocket money!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

You can contact recruitment agencies by phone (you'll get them all in the Golden Pages). If you ask to speak to someone in the temps division (some have many temp divisions, so maybe ask for office/support temp division), they may be able to advise you of anything they have that may suit. Any of the good ones will ask for a copy of your cv, the better ones will probably invite you in for a chat and a skills assessment (typing test, word test or similar).

Once they can see you're normal, they can start to place you.

I know IRC are a good agency, some friends have used them in the past. They're based in Dublin 2 and place a strong emphasis on admin roles, particularly in the temp area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

www.irishjobs.ie

Lots of p/t and temporary customer service roles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Shops are you best bet, do up your CV and go to every SuperMarket and corner shop close by. Grocery shops have a huge turnover of staff so keep trying, with the larger stores keep trying them every month or so and see if they have anything.

But don't fool yourself, you may only get about 10 hours a week and your looking at a bad time of the year, a shops current part-time staff will all be going to their manager asking for more hours durning the summer months.

If you have any friends who have jobs as them to speak to their boss, I've gotten friends jobs this way before. See if your parents know anyone who may be able to help out.

Also if your only looking for a summer job tell an employer you'll be staying on during the college year, even if you dont intend to, they will be looking for someone for the long term in most cases.

As a matter of interest where are you based and how far are you willing to travel to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Snazz up the ol' CV a bit and get a reference. Even if it's an uncle or whatever that's not the same surname as you and you should be laughing. By the sounds of things you seem clued in enough that you'd be more capable than at least half the people you meet in retail nowadays. Just stick with it and sell yourselfi n interviews, you can even get books about that sort of thing.
    Good luck

I applied for around 25 different jobs on jobs.ie attaching my C.V. each time.
    I'm going to contact a recruitment agency tomorow.

When I started this thread I applied for the social welfare form to be sent to my house. I mentioned stuff like I never had a job ect.

The forms came today and I have to go in tomorow at half ten. At this stage I can't go through another year of college untill I sort things out. So I'm going to drop out.

This means I've a definite chance of getting social welfare money right?

Things would be so much easier if I just had a job. It's not like I'm fussy I'd do pretty much anything just to built up experience.

I can't believe I'm dropping out of college but I'm going to have to I just can't cope with the depression and stress of not having a job. My parents supported me this past year but I've fallen out with them..

It's times like these that I get angry when I walk into a restraunt to be served by a girl with broken english.

Why am I so unlucky...agh...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

^ Try not to encourage her to become a street fundraiser, theres enough of them around as it is.

There are enough and they are annoying as hell but the girl says she's desperate for some starter type experience...
    areleaving wrote:
    The forms came today and I have to go in tomorow at half ten. At this stage I can't go through another year of college untill I sort things out. So I'm going to drop out.

You're dropping out of college to get social welfare? :eek:
    How does that help you get a job at all? Even inexperienced people can start somewhere if they have a qualification.
    It sounds to me like you wanted to leave college anyway? There's clearly more to that one.

If you really want a job you need to start looking at actual skills you have which an employer might want, rather than just the fact you are a native English speaker and are healthy.
    You say you're going to recruitment agencies - do ask them for feedback on how to improve your CV.

And good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

areleaving wrote:
    I applied for around 25 different jobs on jobs.ie attaching my C.V. each time.
    I'm going to contact a recruitment agency tomorow.

When I started this thread I applied for the social welfare form to be sent to my house. I mentioned stuff like I never had a job ect.

Things would be so much easier if I just had a job. It's not like I'm fussy I'd do pretty much anything just to built up experience.

I can't believe I'm dropping out of college but I'm going to have to I just can't cope with the depression and stress of not having a job. My parents supported me this past year but I've fallen out with them..

It's times like these that I get angry when I walk into a restraunt to be served by a girl with broken english.

Why am I so unlucky...agh...

Bit OTT. Just because you drop out of college wont mean you will get social welfare. YOu live at home and have never had a job. YOu havent paid tax so you mightnt be entitled to it.

Even if you do get it, they wont pay it to you forever. YOu will get cut of after a few weeks.

WHy are you dropping out of college? it cant be to get a job. You have 3 months of now anyway, why not wait and decide to drop out in september?

DO NOT DROP OUT OF COLLEGE!!!

working is awful! its horrible, once u get a job you'll realise, and you'll wish you stayed in college so that you;d be able to have a better job where u don't have to deal with bitchy customers who look down their nose at you just cause yr serving them!

seriously, until u get a **** job, u can't imagine how **** it is. stay in school as long as you can. if your parents are supporting u then let them, you'll be in a much better position to deal with it after. even if u have to take the money off them as loans, and pay it back, AFTER you FINISH college. its way harder to go back to college years later after having been working.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

bet you a thousand euro you'll regret dropping out of college in a few years

• Advertisement

I suppose it is a good idea to wait until after the summer before I decide on dropping out. I'm not very intrested in the course anyway and I'm too anxious to study.

Okay anyway I went in this morning and the woman in there told me I'll have to wait three months to apply. :eek:

But good news - I've got and interview for a hotel receptionist job
    ''Front of house duties, interaction with guests and some office duties.'' 320/week.
    Thing is, is that it's a long distance from home so I might have to move out.
    I've to give the HR manager a call tomorow to arrange for an interview sometime early next week.

Hope :p

Advertisement