Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adaware question!

Options
  • 03-05-2006 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

Over the last few year(?) I've run Adaware countless times and caught a good few nasties in that time. I'm beginning to get a bit worried now though because in the last 4 months it has failed to detect anything orther than negligible items.

I run it in conjunction with spybot and recently (last month or so) windows defender and spyware blaster. Could the lack of ANY infections in the last ~4 months be the sign of the programme not functioning properly? note: spybot and defender detect infections regularly!

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think you are ok, good pratice running it every once in a while. I would say as long as you keep it updated you will be fine. Im the same really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

I doubt its a real security threat.

Anyways, have you switched your browser from IE to Firefox since this started happening.
    Even if you were using Firefox from the start the browser could be working better to prevent attacks or even your own personal browsing to risky sites is not a problem anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

thanks guys

i've been using firefox for an age now, so it's not that. possibly i've become a bit more savy in the pages i visit - i no longer believe that by clicking a banner you can win a free ipod ;)

i've since downloaded hitman pro 2, so hopefully that will put an end to my paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 the muffin man

Started using Firefox about 2 months ago; prior to that I'd use IE, Ad-aware & Spybot. Was finding 5/6 cases per day using IE (& I know what not to click on)

Since I started using Firefox (started with v1.5.0.1) I've not had 1 case of Spyware on my machine! Gotta love Firefox! :D

So no, I'd say they're all working fine! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Zoned

Hi,

I have IE6, a fully patched XP, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, Spybot-SD and I dont visit any dodgy sites.

I have not got any spyware in years.

regards

Zoned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Zoned wrote:
    Hi,

I have IE6, a fully patched XP, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, Spybot-SD and I dont visit any dodgy sites.

I have not got any spyware in years.

regards

Zoned.

I have IE6, - The worst browser for known security flaws

a fully patched XP, - Makes no difference - see above

Windows Defender, - Beta software - Not yet trustworthy or tested enough

Spyware Blaster, - Mediochre reports excepting by companies promoting it for a finanacial return

Spybot-SD - The first and (imo) still the best

and I dont visit any dodgy sites. - Very good Idea but are you 100% sure?

I have not got any spyware in years. - Don't believe you - not with that set - up anyway..

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Zoned

smeggle wrote:
    I have not got any spyware in years. - Don't believe you - not with that set - up anyway..

:)

What can I say????

I failed to mention I also use IE-SPYAD which has a list of IP's that are dodgy and blocks them.

http://www.secunia.com lists the most current holes in software. They usually have a temporary fix for IE holes when they are found. This covers ya for the 3 weeks or so before Microsoft updates....very important as the WMF exploit was seen to be exploited a few days after it was found recently . Secunia had a temporary fix. Millions didnt and got snared....

Thats it though....

By the way does anyone know what these popup thingies are on my PC ;)

regards

Zoned

Advertisement