Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Sales

Options
  • 03-05-2006 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Didnt know where else to post it, but isnt it pretty low now they
    are , instead of releasing a series, they release season 1 -part 1 ?
    with 1/2 the eps but for roughly the same price as the whole seasons
    used to be ?
    Lost did it and now so is Prison break, it's pretty low just to make more money

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For the simple reason 'Lost' aired in the UK after the US boxset was released so to prevent everyone from simply searching out and buying the US Boxset, they release it the 1st half of the series of R2.. and i know loads who did buy the Region 2 first half unaware of the R1.

And they technically can't release they entire series until the station who bought the rights has aired it.

Hence the reason most shows are released on DVD the week after they're finished.

PS - should have been Television forum by the way!

PPS - 'Prison Break' - didn't realise they were doing it with this. But same reason.. no doubt the R1 boxset will be out in about a month whereas Five are still a long way from finishing it and hence releasing the R2 boxset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

serious ?

So lost season 2 should be out on R1 DVD soon then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

I don't think that is always the case. Friends on DVD and Video had the number of shows per box reduced well after the airing of the shows. THere is a money making element to it just look at the Simpsons dvds.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭Basq

berengar wrote:
    serious ?

So lost season 2 should be out on R1 DVD soon then ?
    Well.. it's actually not out til October this year. The reason they do this is to generating interest / publicity for the third season.
    I don't think that is always the case. Friends on DVD and Video had the number of shows per box reduced well after the airing of the shows. THere is a money making element to it just look at the Simpsons dvds.
    So why is it that the R1 DVD are in all in one bundle whereas the R2 folk get shafted with 2 halves of boxsets? Believe me.. i've done my research. That's the reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

basquille wrote:
    So why is it that the R1 DVD are in all in one bundle whereas the R2 folk get shafted with 2 halves of boxsets? Believe me.. i've done my research. That's the reason!
    The same reason that the Live Aid DVD was twice the price in Europe to the US or that video games cost €70 and only $70 in the US. Some call it a rip off but it is regional pricing. Your reseach may have made you decide that is the reason but have the DVD company come out and siad that is why? AS I said that maybe the reason but it is not always the reason. Explain the Friends sets going from 4 episodes to 3 per DVD after the shows had been aired.

Your reason has logic but I wouldn't sya it is the only reason, Europe as a whole is often more expensive due to pricing models rather than pure economic reasons. Do you not think it is strange that across europe certain things cost the same yet they have different taxes? How can something coming from Japan cost the same to get to Paris and Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

Look at the family guy season 4 , that should have had 21 eps, but only 13,
    rip off, its a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well, that came out before those episodes were shown on Irish or English TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Family Guy has had very odd release dates since it was recomissioned due to popular demand.

Those 13 episodes comprise 10 from season 4 and 3 from season5....odd i know!
    Currently the US had aired up until episode 15 of season5.....so 25 episodes are available.....very odd indeed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

on a slightly related note, is there any rule that boxsets have to contain, @ least some xtra features, or is it just up to the production companies, whether they wanna bother or not.

some prices on boxsets are kinda ridiculous for what you actually get.
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I asumed that the R2 lost S1 came in 2 parts was because R2 is such a big area that lost may not have aired in all those countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

csi miami series three will be released in 2 box sets starting 29th may, it was released in america last november, now RTE are showing this granted, but they have been showing Season 4 episodes for the past few weeks. don't believe me go to IMDB and check out the episodes for season 4 Nailed stands out as does felony flight and under suspicion as recent rte Airings, in otherwords no station in england or ireland is showing the 3rd season yet only half of it will go on sale this may,
    as basquille pointed out a lot of times it is to protect the sale of the prduct to TV stations, but sometimes it's just a rip off. the full 3rd season of CSI is out soon after the first half, but when i asked a lot of shops they weren't carrying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Region 1 DVDs of US shows are frequently far better value than the region 2 versions.

If you don't mind double-sided discs (I don't, lots of people hate them).

The prices Irish shops charge for TV shows on DVD is crazy. They're only good value if there's a sale on.

Roswell Season 2 €70 in HMV and Virgin while it's £15 from Play (last month anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

I agree with The OP.
    I think splitting up the box sets into 2 parts is just pure greed. The latest Family Guy boxsets have a big sticker on them saying "Not yet aired on TV", so I don't know if TV rights has much to do with it - what about series that air on RTE 2 before C4 / BBC as often happens?

Anyone I know who got Season 1 of Lost, ordered the R1 version (whole series). Seriously, 100 Euro for one season (Part "1" & "2") - thats taking the urine!

Advertisement