Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Letterkenny - Questions

Options
  • 03-05-2006 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello!

I plan to move to Letterkenny within a few weeks as I've been offered a job there. The thing is, I'm an Aussie and don't really know what to expect. I've never been to Ireland before.

I would really appreciate any comments, hints, tips about the move, especially from anyone who is living in Letterkenny.

The kind of questions I have:

1. Is www.daft.ie the best place to look for housing (rent)? Are there local agencies that are not online?

2. From what I've gathered searching the web, I should expect to pay about 550 euro/month for a 1 bedroom apartment, is this realistic? Are there cheaper apartments?

3. What's the weather really like? Everyone I've talked to (not Irish) seems to think that it rains 6 out of 7 days in the week... I'm sure this is a myth, but how much truth is in it? :)

4. What would you consider to be a reasonable/good salary for an IT professional to maintain a small car, home loan and a night out once in a while?

5. What are the chances for someone with very basic english to find unskilled work?

6. Is there a job centre or employment office in Letterkenny?

7. Where is the best place to look for unskilled work in the area? What's the unemployment rate like?

8. Where is the best place to look for english courses for beginners?

I'm sure there are others, I just can't think of them at the moment...
    I'm a little anxious about this move as it is going to be a fairly big change for me and my wife.

If you've read to this point, I really appreciate it, thanks! :)

nti.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Have a look at these.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054924459

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054912480

There are people here from Letterkenny who would be able to give you more specific information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 new_to_ireland

Thanks for the links smashey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

1. No - daft.ie is crap outside Dublin. I dunno how you get renting these days in Letterkenny.
    2. No, it's a lot cheaper. You can get a place within 20 mins walk of the town centre for about €50 a week if you're house sharing. Some places can cost more.
    3. Maybe only 5 out of 7
    4. How long is a piece of string? In Letterkenny, €30,000 would be good I'd say.
    5. Not great in Letterkenny TBH, unless you fancy construction.
    6. Yes
    7. About 8-10%, Donegal has the highest unemployment rate in the country
    8. I dunno, I know Rossan college run a good one, and the VEC used to.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

1: Try http://www.premierlettings.ie or http://www.donegallettingagency.com/ (acting a bit funny). http://www.myhome2let.ie/ doesn't seem to have anything for the area yet.

2. Premier Lettings have 3 and 4 bed, furnished, modern houses from E650 per month on their site.

3. It's been okay the last few days, but you'll have to get used to the weather being nothing but "varied" around here.

4. 30k sounds about right, it would be the lower end of goid, if you know what I mean.

5. Construction is still a big employer, but most would look for some sort of skills. Having poor English would be a problem, as most unskilled/unexperienced jobs are in Service sector, eg shops and restaurants, which would require a working knowledge of the language.

6. There's a Fas office in the town, and there's Advance Recruitment as well. Never had any dealing with them, but I can't think of any other recruitment agencies locally.

7. As said before, unemployment is quite high and well above the national average. Most people I know working unskilled have just "doorstepped" the potential employer.

8.Rossan College has a good reputation, and the VEC do alot of work with people new to Ireland.

If I can help anymore, send me a PM or reply here and I'll see what I can do. I hope Letterkenny works out well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭weeginger

Hey, I'm a recent addition to the town myself. And I have to say I am loving it. As regards getting information on employment and housing the Youth Information Centre on the Port Road is a great place to check out. They produce weekly lists of all the accommodation and employment opportunities in the town and surrounding areas (compiled from all the local newspapers) and the service is free to avail of. We can also put you in touch with training opportunities in the area. Also if you are new to the town and would like to meet new people, volunteering within our project can be a great way to meet new folks here abouts. :o

Accommodation wise I'd go for a small house. Flats (one or two bed) come in at the €500 mark if they are anyway decent. I have got myself a four-bed Semi-d for €550 per month 15 mins walk from the town centre, so it is worth shopping about.

Best of luck for the big move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

When I was looking for accomodation here, I checked out the local classifieds paper "The Dealer" which I couldn't recommend enough as a starting point. It also has adverts for various letting agencies.

I'm currenlty living in Glencar Scotch, in a near-new 3 bed semi, for €520pm. It's a long enough walk to town centre though, easy going into town, as it's downhill! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

I think other people have answered your questions, but just to say ye're both very welcome, I hope it all works out and there's little need to be anxious - yep it's a big move, but after a couple of weeks you won't look back.

Letterkenny's a bit off the beaten track - as a result I think it's a lot more attractive than Ireland's cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I think other people have answered your questions, but just to say ye're both very welcome, I hope it all works out and there's little need to be anxious - yep it's a big move, but after a couple of weeks you won't look back.

Letterkenny's a bit off the beaten track - as a result I think it's a lot more attractive than Ireland's cities.

encore

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just in case you haven't contacted the officials representing both Ireland and Australia here are a couple of links

http://www.australianembassy.ie/

http://foreignaffairs.gov.ie/irishembassy/Australia.htm

The previous posts have probably answered most of your questions but in any event you will be made welcome here and apart from home sickness or getting used to the climate you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

0lordy wrote:

Almost as nice as Buncrana.. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 new_to_ireland

Hey guys!

the info you gave is just what I've been looking for. I appreciate you all replying to my questions. Nice to see the mayor himself replying :)
    Thanks for the warm welcomes too!!

It's good to see such a supportive group in the area.

As for the renting issue, I think I'll have to really wait till I get there and have a look around, but from the sounds of it I might be setting my sites on a house rather than apartment now. I'll also be looking into Youth Information Centre for my wife once we get over there.

What's a nice (not too expensive) place to stay at for the first week or two?

Advertisement