Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residents complain over free toll

Options
  • 02-05-2006 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Dublin City Council’s decision to allow HGVs travel through the East Link toll bridge for free has been met with anger by residents in the area.

A protest is to be held in the area as residents in Ringsend and Sandymount demonstrate over lorries being allowed to use the toll for free, as they feel it will increase traffic in the area.

“These are built up residential areas not suitable for big trucks. We are already at and beyond capacity with them. If we don’t do anything we’ll be putting up with chaos,” said Damien Cassidy of the Ringsend Sandymount Environmental Group.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Bunch of goddamn idiots. What the hell do they think the tunnel was built for, anyway.

I'd arrest everyone who comes to that protest and put them in jail for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The trick is to only give free tolls to the specific category that needs it. That or move the toll to Sean Moore Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Bunch of goddamn idiots. What the hell do they think the tunnel was built for, anyway.

I'd arrest everyone who comes to that protest and put them in jail for a few days.
    The toll was ostensibly asked for so that trucks wouldn't have to pay a toll to access tha part of the port that is on the south bank of the river. The problem is the number of HGVs that will come around to the eastlink rather than pay a toll at the westlink.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

jd wrote:
    The toll was ostensibly asked for so that trucks wouldn't have to pay a toll to access tha part of the port that is on the south bank of the river. The problem is the number of HGVs that will come around to the eastlink rather than pay a toll at the westlink.
    I wqs under the impression that the exemption was only for truck owned by the companies that were based in the south dock area. And that this was due to the fact that they would be banned from other roads in the area and as a result would have to use the east link in order to ge to the tunnel.

MrP

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

Between 7am and 7pm 5axel plus vehicles will only be able to exit the south port area via the East Link access via Sean Moore Road will not be allowed as per the HGV Managament Strategy

• Advertisement

What about hgvs coming from say Waterford, who decide to access the North port by driving "south" down the M50, and over the (toll-less) Eastlink?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

jd wrote:
    What about hgvs coming from say Waterford, who decide to access the North port by driving "south" down the M50, and over the (toll-less) Eastlink?
    MrPudding wrote:
    I wqs under the impression that the exemption was only for truck owned by the companies that were based in the south dock area.

MrP

Is this not the case?

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    Is this not the case?

MrP

I can't find any reference stating this is the case.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The hauliers should be made pay their way like everybody else. I am against tolls in every shape and form and am vehemently opposed to money-grabbers like NTR. However, no exemptions can be made and the residents should not have to put up with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Red Alert wrote:
    The hauliers should be made pay their way like everybody else. I am against tolls in every shape and form and am vehemently opposed to money-grabbers like NTR. However, no exemptions can be made and the residents should not have to put up with this.

I'm not exactly happy having to pay the hauliers tolls for them but I don't see how the city can force them to use one exit route when there is a toll between the port and the route. Surely that falls under the same EU legislation that prohibits tolling roads where no free alterntative exists?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

I don't understand why we are still paying on the Eastlink anyway. I thought it was just a government funded bridge unlike the westlink. AS it must be paid for by now surely it should be free now anyway? I don't know that much on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

markpb wrote:
    Surely that falls under the same EU legislation that prohibits tolling roads where no free alterntative exists?
    Can you point to this legislation?
    I don't understand why we are still paying on the Eastlink anyway. I thought it was just a government funded bridge unlike the westlink.
    The Eastlink was built by NTR under contract with Dublin City Council and Dublin Port.

Advertisement