Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new machines they have at Grand Canal Dart

Options
  • 02-05-2006 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

what is going on with those new machines they have at Grand Canal Dart station..??? they are too big for such a narrow station!! At peak times there are two machines allowing people out of the station and the delays to get out in the mornings are ridiculous. Grand Canal Dart station is too narrow for these massive machines. I understand that some form of ticket checking is necessary to deter fare evaders, but adding an extra 5 minutes to my journey time just to get OUT of Grand Canal dart station is not a solution...
    Is it a pilot scheme? if so, its not working.
    I have mailed IE and will post reply when (if) recieved.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

By posting your issue in the public domain means IE will respond they are eager readers of internet message boards (guys maybe you could do some work ?)

The machines are not installed correctly in GCD they are quite wide, there is a requirement to have 1 extra wide one to cope with luggage etc. GCD only ever had 3 turnstiles in the first place

One of the major problems is people fumbling for there ticket and the lack of practice, have a look at the London Underground the gate is almost always open as people know the timing

Fare evasion is a problem the scale of which is scary. I've no objection to exit validation at all quiet stations which to be honest is where the evasion is taking place. GCD is way too small in the first place for the volume of people it now serves

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Docklands is getting 10 (1 extra wide).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Looks like they are going in at Clontarf Road too - all the turnstiles there were removed the other day. Given that people literally race to get out of this station every morning (in order to catch the bus to East Point, and I'm surprised no one has yet been knocked down the steps) I can imagine people going into rage over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭pheasantplucker

MarkoP11 wrote:
    One of the major problems is people fumbling for there ticket and the lack of practice, have a look at the London Underground the gate is almost always open as people know the timing

I agree that there is a learning curve and there will be less fumbling in time, but in my opinion, with only two machines, no amount of efficient ticket processing will avoid the queues. It's a shame that they chose such a narrow Dart Station (such as GCD) to pilot test these machines.

Advertisement