Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'n not trying to start a fight but........

Options
  • 02-05-2006 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

......the question of tabs is illegal but then again so is playing covers of a band whether it be live or on record! You have to learn the tab to play these songs, which means you're a criminal just for trying to play the guitar, which in my own personal and humble opinion is bollox!
    If you live in fear, then whats the point!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

the question of tabs is illegal but then again so is playing covers of a band whether it be live or on record!

Playing live covers is not illegal, as long as the venue has payed up its dues to imro (not your responsibility).

Recording a cover version is not illegal (nor do you have to solicit permission), as long as you pay the royalties due if released commercially.
    You have to learn the tab to play these songs

You don't have to use tab to learn a song. Just use your ears. Don't be so lazy.
    which means you're a criminal just for trying to play the guitar, which in my own personal and humble opinion is bollox!
    If you live in fear, then whats the point!

Dream Brother, you are living in a Dream World.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Maybe I am living in a dream world!
    And by the sounds of things you know what you're talking about, but i just find it abit strange with all the trouble over a piece of tab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It boils down to people being entitled to be paid for their work, not a bad thing. Music is not just music when coming out of a speaker, written music is the same song, same notes, same words, so making copies of the same thing (albeit in different formats) falls under the same copyright laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

I accept that its illegal but the clamping down is a bit ridiculous. Most artists don't care and in fact would encourage people taking their tabs. I know that the arcade fire, willy mason and belle and seb are amonst many that have provided the tabs themselves on websites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Garret wrote:
    Most artists don't care and in fact would encourage people taking their tabs.

But you can be sure there record companies do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

There are plenty of Tab sites online whats your problem?

Boards.ie don't post tabs to keep itself from getting into any possible trouble can't blame them eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

When people started robbing music, the Majors needed some privilege they could rescind, that's how I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

When people started robbing music, the Majors needed some privilege they could rescind, that's how I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

May I point out now before the debate starts that the record companies have nothing to do with this, it's the publishing companies which are different. Record companies own the physical recording of a song, the artist owns the copyright and the publishers represent the artists.

Advertisement