Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

incorrect train destination displays

Options
  • 02-05-2006 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭

I know this is a regular complaint about IE (from P11 and others) but its still ridiiculous that they can't get it right and that the train drivers don't seem to give a sh*t.

I regularly get the 1735 service from lansdowne rd to gorey. This train originates in maynooth and frequently turns up at lansdowne with "maynooth" still displaying at the front. At the same time a train that is actually going to maynooth pulls into the other platform. So we now have 2 trains going in opposite directions both displaying Maynooth.

Even when they haven't forgotten to reset the display on the gorey train, it still displays "arklow" because gorey isn't on the scroll. How hard would it be to print "gorey" in big letters on an A4 sheet and stick it to the cab window?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

loyatemu wrote:
    I know this is a regular complaint about IE (from P11 and others) but its still ridiiculous that they can't get it right and that the train drivers don't seem to give a sh*t.
    No you have it all wrong. It's all management's fault :rolleyes: (actually it is partly management's fault-they should be disciplining drivers who (regularly) fail to switch on the passenger information system).
    loyatemu wrote:
    I regularly get the 1735 service from lansdowne rd to gorey. This train originates in maynooth and frequently turns up at lansdowne with "maynooth" still displaying at the front. At the same time a train that is actually going to maynooth pulls into the other platform. So we now have 2 trains going in opposite directions both displaying Maynooth.
    Just typical IE behaviour. They see no wrong in this. If you complain as an individual IE will just tell you "it was a one off, won't happen again" etc. They REFUSE to deal with P11 as a representative organisation, despite the RPA being happy to do so. It's a disgrace that Mr. Kenny can't spin his way out of.
    loyatemu wrote:
    Even when they haven't forgotten to reset the display on the gorey train, it still displays "arklow" because gorey isn't on the scroll. How hard would it be to print "gorey" in big letters on an A4 sheet and stick it to the cab window?
    Not hard at all. That's not the point. They won't even do their 'normal' job properly so how likely is it to see a bit of proactive behaviour from these guys?

IE need more than just tweeking. They've had long enough now to get these basics right. These basics have NOTHING to do with "decades of underfunding" etc. and everything to do with sheer bloody-minded laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭daymobrew

loyatemu wrote:
    How hard would it be to print "gorey" in big letters on an A4 sheet and stick it to the cab window?
    I printed out signs for Drumcondra train station to provide info for each platform (Platform 2 - East to Maynooth/Longford) and gave them to the ticket guy. He only put one of them up (the platform 2 one).
    I was replacing the old hand written ones currently there.
    Someday I'll write to Richard Fearn to ask him to have proper ones done.

You could try providing a big "Gorey" sign for the driver. I'd love to hear his reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

As Philip says this is a total disaster

Myself and the P11 crew have been chasing certain mangers about this one for some time. On the upside the automatic announcements and destination displays now work when the newer 29000 type railcars are used Dublin Kildare/Carlow/Port Laoise/Sligo and Rosslare, they didn't 6 months ago

There is an going fight on the DART system where management insist they are dealing with it and there is some signs of that but its far from ideal, there are some technical issues as well which make it hard to apportion blame

We already offered the laminate A4 solution I think it pissed them off. That said its photo op central and Reads is only 3 minutes away, now whats the Irish translation for Gorey? Need 6 in total, 1 for each cab, 3 train sets in use. It's not on the scroll understandable as who would have imagined a commuter service that far south. They may look like Dublin Bus style hand crank scrolls they are electrically driven so all the scrolls roll to the correct destination train wide, when it works its fanastic but if a scroll goes out of sync its great fun.

Seriously if someone gets the Irish translation of Gorey I can make it happen

To correct Philip Barry Kenny has refused to talk (since we tend to embarrass him), the front line staff and general managers do talk. The RPA are far more friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭daymobrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

yep that's the correct translation.

Commuter train to Gorey sure the same carriage set does Rosslare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement