Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Collectors outside convience shops

Options
  • 02-05-2006 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen charity collectors in white uniform, a kindofa white bib carring white buckets. I have seen them outside Spar's, Centra's, small shops around where I work and in other parts of the Dublin, annoying people on their way out of convience shops. Does anyone know anything about them I presume they are paid a proper wage? they seem to use exclusively emigrant workers, implying the wages probabily aren't great ?

As is the case of the rest of the chuggers, I presume I can safely ignore them and continue to give in the normal, safe way, at church, sponorship, direct appeal response etc.

Its the bucket that kinda of throws me you usually only see them, being used by real collectors. I suppose I am asking percisely what the deal is what them, I do feel a bit guilty walking past collectors, if I want to be able to rationalise why I am ignoring them.

Thanks

RayK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Aaah.. they gotcha there Ray... the guilt... I would never ever ever give anything to chuggers who station themselves outside shop doors... and no guilt whatsoever.....Motor on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

MDR wrote:
    Does anyone know anything about them I presume they are paid a proper wage? they seem to use exclusively emigrant workers, implying the wages probabily aren't great ?
    As is the case of the rest of the chuggers, I presume I can safely ignore them and continue to give in the normal, safe way, at church, sponorship, direct appeal response etc.

Not following ... do you think they are fake collectors just trying to get the money for themselves? Did they have any identification on them identifying the charity they claim to work for?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

To collect actual cash, as opposed to bank details, the charity must apply to the local garda station for a license. These generally only last a day, a weekend at most, as only one charity is allowed to collect cash in a public area at the same time, and in central areas there is normally a long waiting list. If you are curious just call your local garda station and ask who has permission on that day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement