Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line being taken up recently?

Options
  • 01-05-2006 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I walk past through the North Strand every morning and can see the train line by the canal. Under the bridge (think its called Newcomen Bridge), I've noticed that the line is torn up.

Are there plans to relaid this line and use it. It's seems an under used resource to me.

There's plenty of rail experts in this forum. Any info as to what Irish Rail are doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

micmclo wrote:
    I walk past through the North Strand every morning and can see the train line by the canal. Under the bridge (think its called Newcomen Bridge), I've noticed that the line is torn up.

Are there plans to relay this line and use it. It's seems an under used resource to me.

There's plenty of rail experts in this forum. Any info as to what Irish Rail are doing?

I thought i was only re-laid late last year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

This is the connection to Spencer Dock station.

Its lifted between Newcommen Bridge and Church Rd and on the site of the new station.

The old track and signaling wasn't up to modern passenger standards so it had to go, new signals, new points are going in. Full diagram is in station planning permission (but not a part of the application since its exempted). All of this was old track.

Without the new station in Spencer Dock its an unuseable resource as it goes to nowhere. The line from Glasnevin Junction to Newcommen was relaid about 2 years ago in expectation of the go ahead of Spencer Dock. Due to an incredible screw up by IE it won't be possible to access the new station from Drumcondra so coming in from Maynnooth Broombridge is the last stop before the new station.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MarkoP11 wrote:
    This is the connection to Spencer Dock station.
    Surely Docklands. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

The Midland line has been in bits for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

MarkoP11 wrote:
    Due to an incredible screw up by IE it won't be possible to access the new station from Drumcondra so coming in from Maynnooth Broombridge is the last stop before the new station.

Why is it a screw up?

Far as I can see it will allow IE to run additional services into Docklands and ensure that these services have a clear run into the station and won't be blocked at Drumcondra by a Maynooth - City Centre service which is also blocked at North Strand due to a conflicting move with a train on the Connolly - Fairview section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does anyone have contact details for the Railway Safety Commission?

entreprise, for sacrificing a tiny amount of the tunnel works site at Docklands, they could allow Broombridge-Drumcondra-Docklands services.

Fitting a 'scissors' (?) junction at Glasnevin would allow some Kildare-Heuston-Docklands services.

Outside the evening peak (because trains would need to cross the mainline at Connolly-Fairview) a Drogheda-Docklands-Heuston-Kildare service could be provided.

However the current layout specificly only allows Sligo-Maynooth-Broombridge-Docklands (excluding Drumcondra). It prohibits everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Victor wrote:
    Does anyone have contact details for the Railway Safety Commission?

The Railway Safety Commission

4th Floor
    Trident House
    Blackrock
    Co. Dublin
    Phone: +353 (0) 1 2068110
    Fax: +353 (0) 1 2068115/116

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

First of all it's a screw up because it's not integrated - its several hunderd metres from the Southern tip of the station to the Luas LINE, with more to each equidistant Luas station. If you're coming from the back of a train, add an extra couple of hundred metres.

Then the fact that it can ONLY be accessed from the Midland line is a major screw up, it should be accesssible from the entire Midland line including Drumcondra. A couple of hundred metres South and the station would have integrated perfectly with the Luas and been accessable from all 3 lines, Midland, Drumcondra and Northern, which would have been especially useful as the DMUs all have to get to/from Drogheda.

Spencer Dock was an opportunity wasted 100%.

Advertisement