Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Bedside Locker, What Router?

Options
  • 01-05-2006 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hey woodworkers,
    I'm looking to make a bedside locker and was wondering what I would need.
    To make nice joints, I would need a router. Can anyone recommend what to look for when buying one? I am planning to use veneered mdf.
    Also can you tell me how dowels are made? Do you have to buy a maker? Like for biscuits?
    Thanks,
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

Great to see you starting a project like this, hope it looks great in the end...

I own a router but I don't use it for joints, mainly to produce roundovers and other profiles on the edges of boards and also to produce rabbets (recesses for cabinet backs etc) and sometimes grooves. I have a good one that's expensive, you may get by with a cheaper one for occasional use. A router could be used for dovetails for drawers by using a jig (more money) or conceivably you could join the top of the locker to the sides by using a sliding dovetail joint, you'd have to leave that detail exposed somehow as it would be very unusual (I think).

I use dowels in furniture making basically as a guide to assembly only, they do provide strength in the finished item but I don't rely on them. You can buy dowels ready made, they should be very cheap but inserting them accurately is difficult and it's probably not worth it for you. The hard part is drilling the holes into the thin edges of the MDF, you can buy jigs to for this but I don't know if they're any use.

Hope this helps...
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭awishawash

Thanks for the reply joe, I was watching the new yankee workshop today, so I've plenty motivation to get it done.:) Gonna go get a router before the weekend and also get a book on joints. The sliding dovetail would be difficult to get right I'd say without a jig. Worried mainly about the main structural points of it, ie the screws, and how to hide them etc. was thinking maybe when working with veneered stuff I could use the circular stick on bits, or just make the thing then put the veneer on. Ha! just read that back, looks like I badly need a book!

Advertisement