Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girlfriend Work

Options
  • 01-05-2006 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

If this is the wrong forum then please feel free to move this thread.

im working in America (Boston) for the summer any my girlfriend is coming to live with me from mid July to the end of September. The problem is she can't get a J1 visa because of the college course she is doing and because it's her last year etc. She can stay for up to 90 days on a holiday Visa so she's ok to stay in the country but i'm getting worried because she needs to get a job. She's about to do her final exams in a beautician college, so if shes passes she is fully qualified in electrolysis, acrylic nails, waxing, tanning, massage etc and all the other stuff that comes with it.

I'm trying to help her find a job in that field but she's really open to doing most things just so we can spend the summer together. I work all day so im trying to stay away from bar work at night, if that happened we wouldnt see eachother at all.

The problem is that without a working Visa i don't really know where to look for a job for her. Can anyone recommend someone over here maybe, or if anyone knows anyone who knows anyone etc i would REALLY appreciate it. Even if anyone could recommend a newspaper that i should look at here.

If anyone has had any experience in this if ye could let me know that would be great.I'm in the Allston area of Boston.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Well, it's a case of beggars can't be choosers.

If she were 21 she could get a job in bar like every other illegal Irish immigrant on the east coast. That way you can both work nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Afraid there is not much you can do for her without a working visa :(. She will probably have to do settle for some sort of bar work or waitressing like the previous poster said. Maybe some cashier job or something might work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

ya she has no problem with that at all. Im trying to avoid bar work if possible because i work in an office during the day and if she worked nights then we wouldnt see eachother at all so it would be pointless her coming over. I think cafes are probably my best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

She's going to be a fully qualified beautican/beauty therapist, yeah? Well I'd recommend looking up beauty salons in the area where she would like to work and email them her CV. You never know, someone might be stuck for staff and need someone to fill a gap (for holidays etc). Also they could point her in the right direction. ...Or she may have to work in a bar or restaurant.

But I lived in the states for 6months illegally and got a job for 3 months working in a television studios just by getting my CV into the right person, so you never know!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

ya thats what im hoping.one big salon said she'd need a licence here to work. May be a stupid question but Larianne how did you approach the companies about work? did u mention that u didnt have a visa etc or did u just leave them find out? did they seem to be put out by the fact that u were illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Speedway wrote:
    ya thats what im hoping.one big salon said she'd need a licence here to work. May be a stupid question but Larianne how did you approach the companies about work? did u mention that u didnt have a visa etc or did u just leave them find out? did they seem to be put out by the fact that u were illegal?

Well I got my CV into the studios by getting it to a reporter at the station who gave it to the head of the department. I didn't say what my visa status was on the CV but did tell my employer when I went for an interview that I needed a visa. She left it up to me to sort that out. A lot of people turn a blind eye over there.

I emailed a few people about jobs and some did get back to me and never asked about my visa status. It will be much easier to get a job when she's in the country. If she goes into a salon in person there's a better chance of her getting a job on the sly. She should also see about working on a cosmetics counter in a department store. Email the companies now and see what they say. It could be too late for them to organise a visa but she could give it a go. Never know what might come of it!:)

Advertisement