Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a psychologist

Options
  • 30-04-2006 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've alot of stuff that I need to speak to someone about. I don't think I'm depressed but I know that for many years there are layers upon layers of issues which I've never faced up to or spoken about(alot to do with my family, we never really spoke about feelings openly) and these issues are affecting my current day to day life. I'm sorting some things out myself but I know there's a huge mental part to sort out, which I belive can only be sorted by a trained professional. I don't have a regular GP as have moved address recently and family GP was pretty uselss anyway. Do I have to go to a GP for a psychologist recommendation or is there somewhere else? I know it's not a pshchiatrist as I don't feel I need medication, just someone to logically work out a way to sorting buried issues out.
    As with anything,I'd always research first so that's why I don't just want to ring one of the psychologists from the PSI website straight off,I'd prefer a recommendation.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You do need to talk to your Dr about this, you may not need a psychologist,
    but a cousellor.
    Also there is no one size fits all certain mental health professionals work in differing ways there are differing schools and practices plus certain people may only work with a certain type of client.
    Speak to your gp and go from there, if it is family related stuff you may need to find someone who works from a systemic point of view.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement