Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkness at Noon - Arthur Koestler

Options
  • 30-04-2006 1:23pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just finished Darkness at Noon. It is a quick enough read and was number 8 on some list of top 100 books from the 20th century. Based loosely upon Stalins purge trials in the 1930's the story follows a prisoner in the last days of his life who is made to confess for crimes against the state.

Anyone read it? Opinions? I read something recently prior to reading the book where Bill Clinton said that he has at times "felt like the prisoner in Darkness at Noon".

I found the writing pretty straight forward, not as artistic as Lolita or Grapes of Wrath... but to the point. I not sure if I actually enjoyed it or not...(a 7 or 8 out of 10 perhaps).. still mulling over the plot in my head. Apparently the author based the prisoners story upon what happened to friends / people he knew back in those times.

Advertisement