Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most embarrassing crash

Options
  • 29-04-2006 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

one day when i was cycling down the road, i took it upon myself to try to stand on the right pedal with my left foot and hang off the bike with one hand like a circus clown. I fell off the bike but somehow landed on my feet unhurt. However, the bike continued to go down the road so i sprinted after it, the bike was too fast for me and it began to veer sideways, it crashed straight into a wall resulting in the forks bending and me having to buy new ones. I'm lucky no one was around otherwise it would have definitely been the most embarrassing moment of my life, has anyone had any similar (or worse experiences??)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I was on my way home from work (nights) and was cycling on the Naas Rd just past the Boot Rd junction. It was wet, I was tired, so I put my head down and crashed into the back of a van which was parked on the hard shoulder. I don't remember it happening, just came to on the gorund, with my mouth bleeding and my knee killing me. Bizarrely, my front wheel wasn't buckled, so I was still able to ride home. To this day, I think I must have nodded off for a mo...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I like stories...
    Most embarrasing for me is probably when I was cycling into college one bitter december morning. It was extememly icy conditions. So cycling down the hill towards the sundrive road crossroads and I start losing control of my bike on the slippery ice, for about 50 metres I'm doing all sorts of balancing and braking to steady myself until I finally manage to bring my bike to a standstill just before the lights. I'm really impressed with myself and then I put my foot on the ground and slip making me fall in a fairly awkward way. The worst was getting back up and noticing at a school bus full of kids just laughing their heads of at me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Near where I live (Curragh) there's a load of tank/jeep tracks where everyone brings the dirtbikes.

A group of us we're messing about a few months back. There's a really big jump just off to the left facing Donnollys Hollow. Only the lads on the scramblers jump it. Anywho ... I decided I was going for it (on bmx) Started peddling down the hill like mad, got to the lip of the jump before realizing I couldn't clear the bushes on the peddle bike.

Headfirst into the furze-bushes with a group of 8 or 9 looking on from top of hill (and caught on camera) - I won't be trying it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

Just a small one...

On one of my first outings on my bike after I had just installed SPD pedals and had meself some shiny new bicycle shoes involved the usual commute home from work. Just after I left, I realised I had left my bag on the ground by the bike racks, I did a quick u-turn and swung back to get it. I slowed down and stopped and extended my leg to put in on the ground. Only I had forgotten it was securely clipped into my pedal. I had about 1 second to work out what I should do. Which, as it happened, was nothing but topple over with the bike somewhat like a tree being felled in a forest. I don't even think I had time to put my hand out to catch myself. It was the first time I had fallen off anything since I was about 6, and it fecking hurt. But at least the sight of me squirming on the ground under my bike trying to get my foot off the SPD clip gave everyone a good laugh.

Interestingly this has never happened since. Perhaps everyone who uses clips has to fall embarassingly at least once to 'bake' their presence into your brain.

-mem

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I remember one time cycling home, strong wind against me, it starts hailstoning. So for whatever reason, I'm cycling along pretty much staring at the ground in front of me, because of the hailstones.

Next thing, *BAM* I'm on the bonnet of a car which is parked against the traffic flow, fully on the road. A couple of people asked me if I was alright, but I was fine, just starting laughing with embarrassment. Made sure I hadn't damaged the car, and cycled off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭coggs

Got a deadly 10 speed racer many moons ago for my birthday . was so happy to get it that i refused to put it in my dads car , as i just wanted to cycle it home ! ..... flying along looking down thru my legs at the the gears whizzing up and down the sprokets ,thinking i was sean kelly . Bang .....right into the back of a car stopped at the lights.....and yeah it was my dads car !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I had just bought a new MTB and was cycling it every evening. I took it down to the beach one of those evenings to bounce it over some rocks. On this beach there is a small pier that goes someway into the sea, so I started cycling down that. About half way down this pier there is a slight step up, so I pulled up on the front wheel. Just as the front wheel is about to land again, I saw the seaweed. I fell about 5 feet down into a rockpool below me and landed on my back with the bike on top of me. Luckily I just missed the rocks, and nothing was hurt but my pride!

Moral of the story: Seaweed is slippy, don't cycle on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

King Raam wrote:
    I had just bought a new MTB and was cycling it every evening. I took it down to the beach one of those evenings to bounce it over some rocks. On this beach there is a small pier that goes someway into the sea, so I started cycling down that. About half way down this pier there is a slight step up, so I pulled up on the front wheel. Just as the front wheel is about to land again, I saw the seaweed. I fell about 5 feet down into a rockpool below me and landed on my back with the bike on top of me. Luckily I just missed the rocks, and nothing was hurt but my pride!

Moral of the story: Seaweed is slippy, don't cycle on it

you forgot the other moral

sand + bikes = not good:D
    take a bike to sand and you can forget about it being decent again unless you totally strip and clean every last piece of sand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

cruising around a carpark on an old three speed tourer, mates sitting in the sun chatting, me doing circles and figure eights out of boredom.

saw an empty drinks can, thought it'd be fun to go over it. bam! the can clamps to the wheel, sticks between wheel and frame and I realise I'm facedown on the ground and that sound nearby is hysterical laughter.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

beat this trying a bike out from a shop fell off brake lever snapped my little finger and cracked my eye socket i still dont know what heppened. must find the pictures best mtb i ever owned never had another crash on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

saw an empty drinks can, thought it'd be fun to go over it. bam! the can clamps to the wheel, sticks between wheel and frame and I realise I'm facedown on the ground and that sound nearby is hysterical laughter.

:rolleyes:

:confused: We used to do this as kids, but we never ended up on the ground - the can clamped in place and made a kid satisfying motorbike style noise as it rubbed off the tyre!

My most embarassing? UCC campus is full of places to wash a front wheel out on a wet day. It's also full of good looking girls to witness said washout. No major damage but I did end up looking like an awkward geek. (Tioga Factory tyres had something to do with it too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I was in working one day, a decided to be fat and go to town for chips or something. I don't know if you know mullingar, but if you approach it from the dublin side, on the old dublin rd, it's downhill for a long way. I used to often cycle it often, and had the lights sequence off to a t. Anyway, there I was nailing it through town, and some taxi was stopped in front of me, so I over took it. Bad move. It was an 8 seater, and what I had failed to notice was he was stopped to let someone parked on the left had road out, to drive in the opposite direction to the way I was going. I hit him head on, brake lever left a nice scratch in his bonnet, and i twisted the lever a bit, and that was pretty much it. Funny thing was, the guy I hit was one of the old skool members from the cycling club I had only recently started going out with.
    I told him I pay for repairs. I gave him a couple hundred i think, but I found out later he had to replace the bonnet the scratch was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Ah -- blackadder....

Coming down a hill in Donegal with a friend, round a corner only to see a car coming around, and it feels like we're both going too fast to stop. He didn't think so as he slid past the car and skidded to a halt - while I much less elegantly ran into the hedge and catapulted myself into a field!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Many years ago I was going through a 'my 12-speed racer is Randy Mamolas Ducati and I am a GP superhero' phase and trying to get my knee down on bends (yes, I know, but we are baring our souls here) and on a fast right-hand bend in town I went hard left to use as much road and get a good line, when a motorbike tried to pass me and I t-boned him, taking both of us down. I just remember the sickening crunch as we hit the ground. Both of us were badly grazed and bleeding, but he saw the funny side of it and we walked to the doctors together to get bandaged up.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭aftermathcrew

nothing like these stories has happened to me.but, my friend once attempted to ramp from a sand dune along a trail we cycle on regularly.anyway,the dope completely flipped and landed on his head.after a few laughs i checked to see if he was alright.he was fine.....muppet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭N05H3AD

nothing like these stories has happened to me.but, my friend once attempted to ramp from a sand dune along a trail we cycle on regularly.anyway,the dope completely flipped and landed on his head.after a few laughs i checked to see if he was alright.he was fine.....muppet!!

oh i 4got about that one, thanks a lot :o. what actually happened was that i hit into a tree and broke the brake lever and flew off out onto the ground unhurt and not crying (cough...cough..)!

N05H3AD wrote:
    oh i 4got about that one, thanks a lot :o. what actually happened was that i hit into a tree and broke the brake lever and flew off out onto the ground unhurt and not crying (cough...cough..)!
    you are a muppet!!what about the one i got on video when you flipped.remember the first time we went to the forest??

you are a muppet!!what about the one i got on video when you flipped.remember the first time we went to the forest??

oh that time!, i 4got about that one. Ya, i attempted a medium-sized drop and didn't lean back enough, i landed on the front wheel which bedded into the sand and I went flying over the handlebars and, again, landed unhurt and not crying (aahhemmm!...cough...cough..)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Cycling along the N11 down the new ramp at Loughlinstown towards the roundabout. See a pretty lady and turn my head for a better look. Next thing I'm in the back of a car that's pulling into the pitch and putt course. Buckled my brand new front wheel and fecked my ankle against the kerb. And the pretty lady didn't think I was very impressive.

wowy wrote:
    Cycling along the N11 down the new ramp at Loughlinstown towards the roundabout. See a pretty lady and turn my head for a better look. Next thing I'm in the back of a car that's pulling into the pitch and putt course. Buckled my brand new front wheel and fecked my ankle against the kerb. And the pretty lady didn't think I was very impressive.
    that's a quality story man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Not exactly embarrasing but funny...

Cycling down torc steps that run down by the waterfall on torc mountain at home in killarney with a set of ridged project2 forks (serious way back when)

Anyways make it down all how many hundred steps (ah the thrills of youth) and start cycling home .. only to feel my handlebars.... 'sinking' ... basically all that banging down the steps cause the front forks to slowly buckel forward and outwards... till the pedals hit the ground..

project2 forkes... bloody no match for torc steps :D

-A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

pfffft! heheheheh

Your probably thinking i should be in a wheelchair rather then on a bike now but here's another one, flying down the road with my friend and as we come up to a bend my friend decides to do his usual thing and swerve at me to put me off. He clipped my handlebars sending them sideways resulting in me coming down knee-first to the road. I'm lucky it was downhill on the way home because i couldn't move for the rest of the day and was semi-disabled for a good three weeks.

remembered another one, (yes, I am special) i was in a field going along a trail when i tried to go off a small drop rather than take the path down. This resulted in me cutting my knee open (the same one i had injured previously) as the front-wheel shot down off the drop. Amazingly, it didn't hurt at all (even the next morning), i think the previous accident destroyed the nerves in my knee. I'll probably think of a few more, i have had alot of crashes.

oh yeah well then what about the time when you attempted the dirt ramp on a BMX landed and then fell off and skidded along the grass turning your jumper from grey to green!!!!:D

N05H3AD wrote:
    oh yeah well then what about the time when you attempted the dirt ramp on a BMX landed and then fell off and skidded along the grass turning your jumper from grey to green!!!!:D
    one crash man.compared to your record mine is nothing.classic when i ****ed your knee up "dude"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

My cousin was up cycling in 3 rock with me....

He had a cheap full bounce with cheap cable disc which lo and behold didn't work very well in the wet. We were descending through the narrow goarse lined single track that leads out onto the road above the Bluelight pub. The last bit of the track is steep tarmac, when my cousin appeared shrieking that the brakes weren't working. He managed to leap off the bike and it ghostied across the road and whammed into a wall. Seconds later a bus went by..... The two of us were too stunned to laugh, for about a minute!

We had gone up 3 rock and got talking to some friends at the pylons. Darkness fell rapidly, and we had no lights so decided to make a quick descent. Everything went well until we got to the tracks between the car parks. We were going through a rooty section when I shouted back to mind the drop. He braked hard and rolled off a little 6" root. Not much of a drop he thought and sped up again, only to launch off a 3 foot drop in almost complete darkness. Lets just say he figured out which drop I was talking about. Fair balls to him he landed it, but I've seen aenemics with more colour than him.

And the good news, he's planning on doing the next Blast. Get your camcorders at the ready!!

just remembered this one, i was cycling to a forest near a beach near my house and i was nearly there when a car came up behind me, it was quite far away but i always pull in as far as i can. I pulled right into a ledge in a grass bank made by car tyres which caused my front wheel to slip, catapulting me off the bike and landing flat on my chest on the grass. It was even worse coz the grass was freshly cut and stuck all over me. I wasn't hurt and didn't wan't the added embarrasment of the car pulling over to see if i was alright so i hopped back on the bike and began to cycle off again, the car passed me out and the occupants were looking at me laughing:o !!! :D.

N05H3AD wrote:
    just remembered this one, i was cycling to a forest near a beach near my house and i was nearly there when a car came up behind me, it was quite far away but i always pull in as far as i can. I pulled right into a ledge in a grass bank made by car tyres which caused my front wheel to slip, catapulting me off the bike and landing flat on my chest on the grass. It was even worse coz the grass was freshly cut and stuck all over me. I wasn't hurt and didn't wan't the added embarrasment of the car pulling over to see if i was alright so i hopped back on the bike and began to cycle off again, the car passed me out and the occupants were looking at me laughing:o !!! :D.
    haha, you muppet!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Probably when I was 10 or 11, it was a hot day, so I took off my sweatshirt and slung it my across the handlebars... as I cycled it started to unravel, and eventually snagged the front wheel, which sent me literally into a somersault over the handlebars.
    Wasn't badly hurt, but there were a lot of people around.

Advertisement