Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron Problem....

Options
  • 29-04-2006 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

hello again

have a problem with ethernet port, bought new ethernet cable today for laptop and i already have the same type cable on my desktop, my laptop wont recognice the cable as in the light doesnt flash when i insert cable, and no internet access.....

tried using cable with desktop and it works fine...
    anyhelp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

anyone......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dyslexixboy

Did you check the bios to make sure the nic is enabled, is the nic showing up in device manager, on Dells you will have s/w to test the nic try running that see what results you get. depending on the nic it will be something like broadcom control suite or intel pro set tools in windows. try reinstalling the drivers then windows. if its still not working call tech support as you may need a new motherboard as the nic is integrated.

You can also use Dells website to troubleshoot the problem yourself using similiar tools their technicians use, the link is below, its a decision tree tool that will help you troubleshoot the problem.
    http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/emea/shared/support/dsn/en/tree?c=ie&journalid=34667B73D82211DA98E0D9FE759A34ED&l=en&s=gen&treeid=39A92FF562DA4C08865A3EC03176BF00

hope this helps. :)

thanks alot dyslexixboy, plugged in adaptor and wahey, presto. i thought the problem was internal but as soon as i plugged in ac adaptor then netwrok cable orange light flashed:):)

thanks again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

There should be a quickset utility on your laptop. Basically, it's usually set so that if there's no ethernet cable attached it will deactivate the nic when the AC adaptor is plugged out. It won't work again until you plug the adaptor back in *or* disable the "feature" in quickset.

yea, i am going to disable it as well, i thought it might of been an internal problem, phew

• Advertisement
Advertisement