Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT work in Donegal

Options
  • 29-04-2006 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi

Am considering a move to Donegal for reasons of quality of life and to be closer to family members.

I work in IT - technical/managerial.

What are the options of finding work in either Letterkenny or Derry or surrounds ?

Would appreciate a list of companies - Prumerica is the only one I'm aware of.

TIA.
    Ger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

IT opportunities are fairly thin on the ground - keep an eye out for Seagate in Derry, as they're undergoing an expansion at the moment.

There are a number of other employers in Derry - Dupont, Northbrook, Singularity, but there has been relatively little action here in the past few years.

If you PM me with more details, maybe I can be of some assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,942 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Maybe the chamber of commerce in Letterkenny or the FAs office can advise as to where vacancies exist in the IT sector

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Try the business Innovation Centre in the institute of technology

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I have lived here (donegal town) for 8 years i used to do technical sales for a company that went buts 5 years i now do the same thing but for several companies locally as far as getting a job i dont know of too many but letterkenny / derry probably have more choice. seems to be a lack of companies that employ people at that level when multinationals come it is usually done centrally these days.
    if i here of anything i'll let you know

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What about PacifiCare? I think this company travels along the same veins as Pramerica (for some reason, the name was changed from Prumerica to Pramerica).

• Advertisement

byte wrote:
    What about PacifiCare? I think this company travels along the same veins as Pramerica (for some reason, the name was changed from Prumerica to Pramerica).
    They handle medical insurance claims from the U.S. and they have just advertised for more staff in the local press a couple of days ago.

muffler wrote:
    They handle medical insurance claims from the U.S. and they have just advertised for more staff in the local press a couple of days ago.

Didn't see that myself - what paper was that? Checked the Democrat online, but there seems to be a problem downloading their jobs page.

Thanks

0lordy wrote:
    Didn't see that myself - what paper was that? Checked the Democrat online, but there seems to be a problem downloading their jobs page.

Thanks
    Just had a very quick glance at the Democrat but couldn't see it but it definitely was in the Derry People & Donegal News on Friday last.

They are looking to form a panel whether that means that they want workers right away or in a few months time remains to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Pramerica do mainly IBM Mainframe work, as far as I'm aware, for Prudential America, much in the same vein as Northbrook Technology in Derry do for Allstate Insurance:

http://www.pramerica.ie/currentOpportunities.htm
    http://www.northbrooktechnology.com/Careers.cfm/action/Careers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭errigal

Thanks for the info so far

Pramerica seem to have lots of techie jobs on offer, but not much in the PM type roles which wld be my preference.

• Advertisement

There will be a PM type role coming up in the near future, can't provide details at this point - I will ensure you're kept in the loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭errigal

Thanks for that.
    Much appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

And you might want to send your CV and a cover letter saying you would be interested in applying for any PM work that might (ahem) come up in the future to Louise Magee in Northbrook Technology.

As mentioned previously, some jobs going in Seagate, Derry:

http://www.nijobs.com/query_new.asp?IsProvince=0&MatchPerc=40&Ranking=&Roles=&Company=ON&Agency=&Recruiter=Company&Category=0&Location=0&KEYWORDS=seagate&referrer2=local&I72.x=38&I72.y=16

Dunno if the link above will work:- just go to www.nijobs.com & look up Seagate as a keyword.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

0lordy wrote:
    As mentioned previously, some jobs going in Seagate, Derry:

http://www.nijobs.com/query_new.asp?IsProvince=0&MatchPerc=40&Ranking=&Roles=&Company=ON&Agency=&Recruiter=Company&Category=0&Location=0&KEYWORDS=seagate&referrer2=local&I72.x=38&I72.y=16

Dunno if the link above will work:- just go to www.nijobs.com & look up Seagate as a keyword.

I know this remains on topic, but if you have any details of websites etc, can you run them past the Mods first, this is border line of promotion of a website.
    Olordy are you in recruitment by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

oh get over it! he's trying to help the guy out

nanook wrote:
    I know this remains on topic, but if you have any details of websites etc, can you run them past the Mods first, this is border line of promotion of a website.
    Olordy are you in recruitment by any chance ?

Point taken. Sort of. It's just that other companies' names and urls were provided by other posters, and this was in direct response to the original message.

And I'm not in the recruitment business.

Will try to be of less assistance in the future ;)

I understand nanook that you gotta try to keep everyone straight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

oh get over it! he's trying to help the guy out

Borat, welcome to boards, nice start with the mods but we can let this slip.

In relation to my comment, i asked a question in relation to a potential pimping of their career and business, we have to check.

Cheers olordy for the clarification and its nice to see that there are people out there still willing to help a complete stranger, the world is still a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

nanook wrote:
    Borat, welcome to boards, nice start with the mods but we can let this slip.

In relation to my comment, i asked a question in relation to a potential pimping of their career and business, we have to check.

Cheers olordy for the clarification and its nice to see that there are people out there still willing to help a complete stranger, the world is still a good place.

Wahoo!!!!! Everything is right with the world!

Advertisement