Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[article] Points Blitz begins....

Options
  • 29-04-2006 10:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

from indo
    Points blitz hits 10,000 drivers in three weeks

A TOTAL of 10,000 drivers have been hit with penalty points in the past three weeks under the tough new regime.

Since the introduction of the newly extended system at the start of April, around 416 drivers a day have being hit with penalty points or fixed charges.

Before the 31 new point offences were introduced, gardai were catching on average 207 drivers for penalty points.

Figures released last night by the gardai also show that drink driving arrests are 18pc higher than for the same period last year.

In the run-up to the May bank holiday weekend, gardai are today launching a road safety campaign in an effort to cut the spiralling number of road deaths.

To date this year, 134 people have been killed on the nation's roads, 19 more than at the same time last year. Gardai maintain that despite significant garda presence on roads, drivers continue to flout the law and take a chance on drink driving. On one day in the past month gardai arrested in excess of 100 drivers for drink driving.

This weekend they will be clamping down on motorists, particularly for drink driving, in an attempt to reduce the rising carnage.

A garda spokesperson said that substantial resources are being deployed over the weekend to ensure road safety.

"While the majority of drivers do not drink and drive there is still a sizeble number of people who continue to take that chance," the spokesman said. "And while garda activity over the May bank holiday weekend has a specific focus, all vehicles may also be subject to close scrutiny."

Driver fatigue is also believed to be a significant factor in many road collisions. Over the Easter bank holiday nine people were killed on the roads.

Motorists this weekend are being urged to plan their journey and stop in a safe place if they feel in any way tired.

Gardai are also advising motorists to drive within the speed limits and to wear seat belts at all times.

Some of the 10,000 or so drivers that have been hit with penalty points were guilty of speeding, not wearing their seat belts, dangerous driving and for continually crossing the white line in the middle of the road.

Can someone clarify the last offence? I thought any crossing of a continuous white line was an offence.

On a general point, its really time for a name and shame register à la tax defualters. Nothing like your name in the paper for the wrong reasons to soften ones cough.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mike65 wrote:
    Can someone clarify the last offence? I thought any crossing of a continuous white line was an offence.
    As usual, the ROTR are classically vague about it. You can cross "in an emergency" IIRC. The UK's highway code is much clearer, stating that (illegaly) parked vehicles, slow moving cyclists and pedestrians may allow one to cross a continuous white line to pass. I think we know the sort of thing the Guards will do peeps for. High time and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I saw this on the news last night. THe guards were checking tax discs on passing cars, slowing them to a crawl to show their presence.

Funny how they were doing it on a big dual carriageway though. Jamup looked about a mile long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

mike65 wrote:
    from indo

Mike.
    I believe it is an offence to cross the continuos white line. Thinking that this is a typo meaning continous (white line) not continually (crossing).

Thank God the guards are getting more resources to tackle road incidents or road crimes as i call them. Lets hope it will not fizzle out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

TheNog wrote:
    I believe it is an offence to cross the continuos white line. Thinking that this is a typo meaning continous (white line) not continually (crossing).

Thank God the guards are getting more resources to tackle road incidents or road crimes as i call them. Lets hope it will not fizzle out.

It is only an offence to cross a continous white line when it is not absolutely necessary and safe to do so.

for example you would have to cross it to get around a parked vehicle but you could only cross it then if it was safe to do so.

if you crossed it to get around a parked vehicle but it was not safe to cross it at the time that would be an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

TheNog wrote:
    Ah, the things Grammatik has to answer for. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement