Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party Dilema - need YOUR advice!

Options
  • 28-04-2006 1:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Arrgh! need help!

2 weeks ago, myself and my girlfriend's sister organised a surprise 30th party for my girlfriend tonite and we snuck a peak at her phone txt her matest etc. Myself and the gf got back from hols today so the sis has bein doin all the work.

my gf is very curious nosy so we had to cover our tracks carefully. I told the gf that we were attending a chef/dinner event that wud be televised so that she wudnt be suspicious n so she wudnt decline given she is only back from hols. she loves all that kind of thing.

however she had been in touch with her mates n stuff the past few days organising a party for tomorrow nite instead and they have all confirmed with her!

they had mostly confirmed their attendance with us last week but she has caused some confusion by txting everyone this week.

it now seems she has more numbers attending tomorrow nite than we have tonite. We have food and music already arranged! Now me and the sis get the impression she may be very disappointed tonite or even mad when she gets there later. (she is currently in the hairdresser, then goin for manicure and has a great dress ready for later)

heres my dilema, do I:

(1) come clean and tell her we were organising a surprise party that kind of back fired as her plans stole from ours
    (2) ease her gently down by sayin that tonite wont be televised
    (3) say nothing and continue as planned

Help!

What would you do with this surprise party? 11 votes

Come clean and tell her what you had planned has backfired
    0% 0 votes
    Ease her down gently by telling her that tonite wont be televised
    90% 10 votes
    Say nothing and continue as planned
    9% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Think you gotta tell her mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Say nothing, have both parties. Everybody wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

faceman wrote:
    Arrgh! need help!

2 weeks ago, myself and my girlfriend's sister organised a surprise 30th party for my girlfriend tonite and we snuck a peak at her phone txt her matest etc. Myself and the gf got back from hols today so the sis has bein doin all the work.

my gf is very curious nosy so we had to cover our tracks carefully. I told the gf that we were attending a chef/dinner event that wud be televised so that she wudnt be suspicious n so she wudnt decline given she is only back from hols. she loves all that kind of thing.

however she had been in touch with her mates n stuff the past few days organising a party for tomorrow nite instead and they have all confirmed with her!

they had mostly confirmed their attendance with us last week but she has caused some confusion by txting everyone this week.

it now seems she has more numbers attending tomorrow nite than we have tonite. We have food and music already arranged! Now me and the sis get the impression she may be very disappointed tonite or even mad when she gets there later. (she is currently in the hairdresser, then goin for manicure and has a great dress ready for later)

heres my dilema, do I:

(1) come clean and tell her we were organising a surprise party that kind of back fired as her plans stole from ours
    (2) ease her gently down by sayin that tonite wont be televised
    (3) say nothing and continue as planned

Help!

My god, how could such a simple plan go so horribly wrong.

option 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Always keep a lie simple.
    It's too late now, tell her.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

There's a party and we're not invited?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Tell her! It sounds like it'll be a surprise anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Tell her. Shell find it funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

I don't understand?

Usually when someone organises a surprise party they tell the person they will be doing something far less exciting than what is actually planned, hence the surprise of a fantastic night. Why did you tell her she would be at a televised dinner event? Considering you say she loves that kind of thing, surely she would be disappointed to find out there is no televised event, regardless of the size of the planned party?

On the other hand, your effort should mean more to her than being on television, so I should hope that if you say nothing and go ahead with your plan you can still have a great night.

I also don't know why you can't get in touch with these friends of hers again and explain the situation, and reconfirm for tonight's party? Or did you check to make sure they didn't just confirm with her for tomorrow to avoid making her suspicious?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Usually when someone organises a surprise party they tell the person they will be doing something far less exciting than what is actually planned,
    Or did you check to make sure they didn't just confirm with her for tomorrow to avoid making her suspicious?

Yes, I think waterfaerie has hit on the important points here. Pissup, brewery & organise come to mind :)

At this stage just relax & go with (3), one of two things will happen:
    - the friends will turn up as planned & it will all work out.
    - it will be a damp squib, you'll have to confess to being crap at organising surprise parties, but hey, there's a backup party tomorrow night!

Might do no harm to call a few friends to see which way the wind is blowing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I don't understand?

Usually when someone organises a surprise party they tell the person they will be doing something far less exciting than what is actually planned, hence the surprise of a fantastic night. Why did you tell her she would be at a televised dinner event? Considering you say she loves that kind of thing, surely she would be disappointed to find out there is no televised event, regardless of the size of the planned party?

On the other hand, your effort should mean more to her than being on television, so I should hope that if you say nothing and go ahead with your plan you can still have a great night.

I also don't know why you can't get in touch with these friends of hers again and explain the situation, and reconfirm for tonight's party? Or did you check to make sure they didn't just confirm with her for tomorrow to avoid making her suspicious?
    Yup. That is one retarded plan gone retardely wrong....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved to PI.

I'd go with something far simpler next time though... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

hahahaha feck the begrudgers! Mission successful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Does that mean everything went well??? what did you do? how did it go?

Advertisement