Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trains cancelled from Maynooth this morning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭Trampas

Rant

I was staying out in Leixlip last night and was getting the train in this morning.

Got to the station and cie worker told me that all trains where cancelled due to signal fault.

Next thing I a train comes and I am like :eek: in the space of 10 mins. The longford train. so try to jump off a bus down to the platform and train pulls off while a person is trying to open the door.

Pulled off and went back and went to see the next train was due.

No more trains. I was like :mad: then sit in traffic getting the bus into ballsbridge.

Why could the &$$hole who told me that there was no trains not say that there would be one in 10mins.

When I went back to say when the next train was and your woman said no more trains as the longford train is on a different signal.

I am saying to myself are they not travelling on the same track

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

See: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054923862
    The first post on that thread was 7:31am. The next post, saying all was well, was at 8:09am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭Trampas

Well I dont be on the internet before I for work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Under degraded conditions when the interlocking system has collapsed its not possible to locate a train, thats the whole problem, station staff don't yet have access to real time signalling information on the Maynooth line, with the system offline anyway it made no difference

To be fair and unlike in the past there was a notice promptly on the IE website, in the past it was rare to see a notice put up. Still compare to Northern Ireland Railways IE's information on delays is poor. There is talk of SMS disruption notifications but nothing concrete

The problem is then getting a train to Maynooth at the time of the failure there would have been no way to get a train from Connolly to Maynooth only those trains which overnight in Longford would be able to reach Maynooth this morning, the line reopened at about 8:00 which is way too late to get a train to Maynooth. Depending on what happened either the Longford train was allowed under the rules if it could be proven no train was between Maynooth and Connolly, the signal man in Maynooth could permit a train to enter the section to Connolly under caution and to report any obstruction and only when Connolly confirm it has arrived (fully intact) could another be sent or the train was held in Maynooth awaiting the imminent rectification of the fault, its only 9 minutes to Leixlip (Confey) so there is only a tiny window of time in which Leixlip could be told that a train was coming signalling faults are safety critical you can't cut corners.

I get the feeling IE where playing with something last night and it didn't work out quite right

The last failure was some time back when Clonsilla equipment room took a lightening strike which fried one of the solid state interlocking units

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There was no travel alert, this is not the travel aleart you are looking for.

http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp
    Travel Alerts

No current Travel Alerts.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=74
    Travel Alerts
    ADODB.Field error '800a0bcd'

Either BOF or EOF is True, or the current record has been deleted. Requested operation requires a current record.

/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp, line 35

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

There certainly was a report on the IE site this morning

Picture 5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They seem to remove them completely. That is on the occassions they actually put one up.

Advertisement