Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up and need advice

Options
  • 27-04-2006 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Folks the reason I’m posting is that I’ve been miserable (of my own making) for the past few months and I need advice on how to snap out of it.
    Basically it relates to money and how I feel I’m not doing as well as I should be doing for someone of my age, qualifications etc.
    The fact that I don’t have a place of my own is getting to me, because when I look round at my friends it seems to be happening for them so easy, and I’m jealous!
    I’ve stopped hanging round with them as much recently because I’m sick of feeling like a failure, I’ve no debt, but I’ve also no home.
    I’m renting and my salary is worth shag all in Dublin in the current property bubble.
    What should I do?
    I’ve done the college for five years thing and worked for the last couple of years yet its not good enough.
    I suppose I feel like I should be entitled to have it all, house, car etc…I want it all and now..but it aint happening as quickly as I want.
    Is it possible to do anything nowadays unless you’ve got the help of parents?
    Most of my friends have been able to get deposits of 30-60k from parents but my parents aint in the position to do so.
    They are telling me to save but saving is worth nothing, compared to the rate at which property prices are rising.
    As the weeks go by, property is rising by 20, 30 and 60 k and I don’t know what to do.
    One part of me thinks I should emigrate because although incomes are less than In Ireland house prices are only 3 and not 12 times what my salary would be (as is the case in Dublin.)
    Any advice? Stick it out? Play the lotto? Or give things another shot elsewhere?
    I’m feeling the pressure because unless I can get the money together for a place in the next few months it’s likely that I’ll never be able to do so.
    What should I do? Anyone else been in my position or thinking along my lines?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Vidic-is-good

So basically you are bothered about not owning a house? Hardly a problem. I currently rent because I refuse to go into debt for 30 bloody years. I will buy my house straight out when I can afford it. People laugh at me when I say that but it will happen. I'm 28 now and working in a job that might go somewhere if i wanted it to. I've no passion for it so I dont want to go further with it. But, I will do something, just got to find direction (currently looking). You should talk to your friends and they will probably tell you to take your time. A mortgage is probably crippling them financially. Also, if you want a car, get a job that gives you one. Thats what I did. Its great. Your problems are very fixable. Be proud that you are renting and not still living with your parents as alot of people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

dunno what age you are, but my brother is 26 and still at home, and my other brother was 27 before he could afford a (small) house.

maybe your friends are doing well with a little help, but they're lucky... you're really not the only person who can't afford a house! it's one of the biggest problems in this country at the moment.

try and be happy that you're not crippled with a mortgage, and that you can just pick up and go whenever you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

I’m feeling the pressure because unless I can get the money together for a place in the next few months it’s likely that I’ll never be able to do so.

Looks like the marketing from all those estate agents is working and causing you to not think about this rationally. There's no need to be rushing into such a heavy burden so quickly. Rather than trying to keep up with the Jones (who are probably snowed under trying to maintain their lifestyle) why don't you just stick with the things that you enjoy and make the most of your flexibility?

Houses are only expected to rise by 3% next year (which when taken with inflation means there's actually no increase). The era of 15%+ annual jumps in the price of housing won't continue indefinately.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I wouldn't get hung up on not owning a house just because of your age.
    I didn't bother getting onto the property ladder until I was 35 (long, long after all my mates did).

I tend to agree with the other posters that you will probably find that your friends are up to their oxters in it.

Enjoy what's left of your youth. Travel for a year, learn to scuba dive/parachute jump, etc.. Treat yourself with your disposable income while you have the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I totally understand where you are coming from.I did the college thing too and feel like such a failure as I try to support myself now in the real world. Got paid today and my heart sank.Other friends I know are leaping into mid-thirty k's in salary and I am literally on the bottom rung of the 20k's.It is so depressing. I don't know whether to go back to college but I feel so much pressure to be earning, saving,buying property,cars etc. I moved up from the country two years ago and I am financially independent, no help from parents. Some people don't know how lucky they are, living on in the crib until late twenties.Feel like I am going nowhere.Sorry about the rant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement