Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Transport Poll

Options
  • 27-04-2006 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

It seems that almost all busses and trains lead to the city centre ( In Dublin anyway). This is great if you work in the city but what if you work in one suburb and live in another. You could take two busses but chances are you drive like I do. But I would take a bus if a direct one was available. Would you?

If public transport was available between work and home would you use it? 42 votes

I would NOT take it even if it was available.
    0% 0 votes
    I would take it if it was available.
    0% 0 votes
    It is available and I DO take it.
    28% 12 votes
    Not appilcable because I walk or cycle.
    50% 21 votes
    It IS available and I dont/wont/cant take it.
    21% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

i have tried to get the bus to work a few times.. probabley about 10 times in the last 6 months, the service is supposed to run every 10mins, with 3 different bus numbers stopping at the stop..

out of the 10 times i have used the service i have had to wait about 45mins or more for a bus to show. so now i cycle.... maybe i should have picked the first option

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have worked in Glasgow City Centre for the last 12 years and I have used the train to commute as I have always rented/bought a property near a train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I could take public transport to & from work but I don't want to. Even when the M50 is blocked up like it was yesterday morning, driving is still the most flexible option for me.

Maybe if the powers that be could get me from one end of the city to the other in 1 hour with minimal transfers (i.e. 1 or none at all) then I would consider public transport.

As it is now, I'd have to get a bus or train, then another bus or Luas (which involves having to cross the city on foot between termini). the last time I was using public transport it was taking me almost 2 hours door to door, becuase the two bus routes I had to use didn't provide a quick connection in the city. Driving took 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

So far a third of the people who voted would take public transport if it were available. Why does the government spend a billion on the luas when so many people would be happy to have a bus to take. Busses are cheaper and can easly be taken off a route thats not popular and added to routes where demand suddenly increases.

Busses need to go to some place other than city centres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

It's easy in theory to say "I'd take public transport if it were available".
    The reality is that people in Dublin won't budge from their cars until proper alternatives are in place. Buses are part of the alternative, but they can't be seen as the alternative.

The success of the luas has captured the public's imagination and won over thousands of car drivers in a way that no bus route could ever do..even if Pamela Anderson and Eddie Irvine were behind the wheel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

In fairness... asking this in the commuting/transport forum seems a bit like asking "who here travels frequently by air?" in a room full of airline pilots....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

When I was at college a few years ago I carpooled daily with my dad. Helped a lot.

Thesedays, I take the train fairly often, but the trouble is I have to drive 4 miles to the train station, so I just end up driving the whole way. Its easier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have to gett a bus and luas to work.

Public transport would be a whole lot better if planned properly.

On my bus route you could wait 40 mins for a bus and then 4 turn up (my record is seeing 6 at on stop). Time Tabeling isnt done properly and this lets down the system.

A nice intergrated bus system would be nice. i.e the luas lines being linked.

Advertisement