Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE to air Season 5 on 3 July

Options
  • 27-04-2006 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭

It probably won't make much difference to most people on this forum 'cause you
    d'load the eps or watch them on Murdoch Vision but I sent an email to RTE asking when they are going to screen the new series.
    It's scheduled to air on Monday, 3 July 2006 at 23.30.
    Ridiculous. Sky will be finished the whole series well before then. And 11.30 is a crazy time (some of us have to go to bed early to be up for work in the morning like!).
    I can only assume the viewing figures were very low for season 4 so that's why they can't be arsed about season 5.
    I wrote back telling them what I thought.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

lukin wrote:
    It probably won't make much difference to most people on this forum 'cause you
    d'load the eps or watch them on Murdoch Vision but I sent an email to RTE asking when they are going to screen the new series.
    It's scheduled to air on Monday, 3 July 2006 at 23.30.
    Ridiculous. Sky will be finished the whole series well before then. And 11.30 is a crazy time (some of us have to go to bed early to be up for work in the morning like!).
    I can only assume the viewing figures were very low for season 4 so that's why they can't be arsed about season 5.
    I wrote back telling them what I thought.

if the viewing figures for season 4 were bad,its because they stuck it on a friday night and only showed it several weeks after Sky One had started. From seasons 1-3 they always started before Sky,a huge amount of Irish viewers have Sky and probably watch it on that channel. RTE only have themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

They may as well not show it all rather than do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

more crazy scheduling by the morons at Montrose

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

lukin wrote:
    They may as well not show it all rather than do this.

I'm just glad their showing it at all, itll proably be taped some nights though, if its on that late.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Typical RTE lets list of those shows that they buy and show after prime time

Medium
    The Practice
    Boston Legal
    Boston Public
    Smallville
    Alias
    Grounded For Life
    CSI New York

And others

Well done. RTE.

24 had 150,000 viewers on a tueday night. (Not quiet as good as DH but still good for RTE 2)
    Boston Public had 150,000 viewers on a Sunday night at 11:30 and still moved that show to late night RTE 2, 150,000 viewers is excellent for RTE 2 or any channel at 11:30 on a sunday night??????????????????????????????

Head of Scheduling people andrew.fitzpatrick@rte.ie
    EMAIL HIM NOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Elmo wrote:
    Typical RTE lets list of those shows that they buy and show after prime time

Medium
    The Practice
    Boston Legal
    Boston Public
    Smallville
    Alias
    Grounded For Life
    CSI New York

And others

Well done. RTE.

24 had 150,000 viewers on a tueday night. (Not quiet as good as DH but still good for RTE 2)
    Boston Public had 150,000 viewers on a Sunday night at 11:30 and still moved that show to late night RTE 2, 150,000 viewers is excellent for RTE 2 or any channel at 11:30 on a sunday night??????????????????????????????

Head of Scheduling people andrew.fitzpatrick@rte.ie
    EMAIL HIM NOW

Too right... BP was pretty good too. That pissed me off greatly when it'd be thrown around because of Sunday Sport...or when it seemed to disappear off the channel between 2002 and 2004...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

And they had Third Watch aswell on a tuesday night, then it moved to late night sundays.
    Thats back ages ago, but still, its sh1te when they do that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Did it ever occur to you that cost of buying the rights to screen 24 3 or 4 weeks in advance of it being aired in the UK might be prohibitive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I really dont see a point in RTE airing 24 so late as those who have an interest watch it on Sky and those with an EXTREME interest download the HDTV Rips made by LOL.

23:30 on a Sunday will get the absolute lowest figures possible!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

spockety wrote:
    Did it ever occur to you that cost of buying the rights to screen 24 3 or 4 weeks in advance of it being aired in the UK might be prohibitive?

Our population is tiny compared to the UK and the US networks view us as a separate market anyway.
    This is how TG4 are able to get some US shows before some UK stations....The OC comes to mind!

RTE2 with Desperate Housewives and Lost are LOADS of episodes ahead of Channel4 as well.

• Advertisement

Its a pity they didnt do that with 24. I suppose Sky being the sister station of Fox networks, if Rte did get the rights, sky would probably bully them, even though rte cannot be viewed easily in the UK.
    Would'nt stop it in Northern Ireland though.

The probs with RTE and 24 occured when the BBC went FTA on Sat.

News Corp. weren't happy

So they gave the series to Sky, BBC seem to still hold the rights to seasons 1 and 2 having shown them a while ago.

BBC had season 1 and 2 before RTE but RTE started doing double episodes and caught up with the BBC.

RTE had season 3 before Sky and I think Sky caught up towards the end of that series.

Season 4 had sky way before RTE, so much so that Sky are only a few weeks behide Fox in the states. and the same goes for Season 5.

However 24 is the top rated show for Irish veiwers on Sky One with 25,000 tuning in.

Also RTE didn't advertise that they had season 4 so they lost viewers.

IMO RTE should show Double episodes on a Tuesday night during the summer surely they would get viewers for that.

What have the line up for Tuesday nights during the summer?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The West Wing and previous seasons of The Sopranos have also been victims of lunitic slot times.

Yeah it is the first year for the Sopranos to be really advertised that it is going to be on. You can even see that may people where suprised to see it on RTE so soon. It first episode of the final series had only 150,000 viewers while the second episode had 250,000.

Also add Six Feet Under to that list.

They really need to advertise more, tbh Ive only seen RTE put much effort into Lost.

If im correct did'nt TG4 have nip/tuck slightly before sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

spockety wrote:
    not an excuse spockety, as mentioned the prices aren't as high as for UK, and we've gotten quite a few high profile series earlier tha UK but RTE usually make a mess and stop showing them halfway through which loses them viewers when they bring it back as we'll have already seen it on uk tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Monday at 23.30. What are they thinking? What's wrong with 21.00? It's not as if they are showing anything decent at that time in any case.

a repeat of Friends may need to be shown, hence the ****ty scheduling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

My email of complaint must have had an effect:
    The date has been brought forward from July 3 to next Monday June 5. Still the same time though:11.30.
    Doesn't matter to me anyway now though:I bought the whole series off ebay last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

What the feck? 3 July? How feckin stupid is that? RTE are crap, honestly are tv licences paid so we have to wait months and then sit up late just to watch our favourite programme? Gits.

• Advertisement

What the feck? 3 July? How feckin stupid is that? RTE are crap, honestly are tv licences paid so we have to wait months and then sit up late just to watch our favourite programme? Gits.

info@rte.ie

ring them to find out when they plan to air Redemption and Day 7. Why are you bring up old threads? AFAIK RTE can't get the right until March, Sky have the rights for 24 tied up, Sky and Fox have news corp as a shareholder.

You do know that season 5 was three years ago right?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

OK... I misread the title..... Wrong thread, sorry! I feel really stupid now! I'm on about CSI NY.... Yep I'm an idiot! :o

Advertisement