Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Truck drivers - Know your load height and bridge heights!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Certain bridges are struck so regularly now that a more pro-active approach is required.

The frequency of strikes by oversize loads where drivers are supposedly specifically trained on the hazards of these loads is particularly worrying.

For certain bridges the possibility of putting protective barriers on the approach roads should be looked into. The problem is simply not going away and driver education is not working, I fear it will take another disaster like the 1975 one in Gorey before at risk overbridges are fully protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Are IE invoicing the haulage company for the cost of inspecting/repairing the bridge and the resultant delay in train services?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Are the drivers held responsible in any way?.

Slightly off topic but I was disappointed to hear recently that the canopy outside the Olympia theater will now not be replaced after it had been destroyed by a reversing HGV. Disgrace IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I heard on the radio (morning Ireland) that about 5 or 6 years ago there were 18 bridge strikes in a year. It's now up to about 200 per year. What has happened to truckers recently it's not like there are many more bridges or that they are shrinking !

IR spokesman mentioned the guy who hit a second bridge 10 minutes after being released from the custom house one. Perhaps they should be able to bill truckers for delays to the DART.

IR will be trying an InfraRed (IR :D ) sensor on bridges in Portlaoise soon with a view to deploying elsewhere.

Advertisement