Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Help on Co-op

Options
  • 26-04-2006 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, was wonderin if anybody could help me out, I'm 2nd business and will be going on Co-op 2nd semester of next year. My issue is that I don't wanna rely on the Co-op office finding me a suitable placement. A friend of mine did Electronic Engineering and spent the first two months of her co-op sorting wires into boxes based on their colour, another friend ended up wrapping her bosses sons school books... wtf... These aren't isolated incidents, I've heard much more negative about the co-op office than positive.

Also my QCA is terrible, currently just about 2.5 which won't put me at the top of (m)any lists. Does anybody have and advice or tips on how i should approach this. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

A friend of mine did Electronic Engineering and spent the first two months of her co-op sorting wires into boxes based on their colour, another friend ended up wrapping her bosses sons school books... wtf... These aren't isolated incidents, I've heard much more negative about the co-op office than positive.

Sounds ****ty indeed, I've heard similar stories from other people about bad experiences on co-op. I'm not sure how I'd rate mine, I had a good time when I was out but the work was boring enough and there tended to be weeks on end of doing sfa. Wrapping your bosses son's school books takes the biscuit though.
    Also my QCA is terrible, currently just about 2.5 which won't put me at the top of (m)any lists. Does anybody have and advice or tips on how i should approach this. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

You can try and organise your own placement if you have the ability to do so. I know a couple of people who have done so and had a great co-op. The answer to your QCA is obvious you've this semester to bring it up given that you'll probably have interviews sometime at the start of next semester. Do well in the upcoming exams (easier said than done though). Good luck with it anyway.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Everybody has a friend who has had a **** co_op, hell my own was crap but that was an issue with the work itself.

As Rory said, try and find a company yerself.

I dunno how much of the problem is the co_op office. I mean, if there's a company giving crap co_op jobs surely they know about it but if student's don't say anything...not mind readers ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭The Long Fellow

What do you expect to do on CoOp?? We're hired goons, i'm on coop right now, though i must admit the work i'm doin is quite good at times.

No company is gonna trust you with stuff they actually NEED to get done.

Your only alternative to the coop office is to get a place yourself, so unless your parents know someone somewhere you'll be stuck with them

What do you expect to do on CoOp?? We're hired goons, i'm on coop right now, though i must admit the work i'm doin is quite good at times.

Hired goons we may have been but I was trusted with stuff that "NEEDED" to be done. I suppose it depends on how much your supervisor trusts you with the work.

Cheers
    Rory

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

I too was trusted to get things done. Not to tootle my own trumpet here, but I was pretty much in charge of one project, and when i messed up one day, I bloody well heard about it!

Then again, I'm sure I heard somewhere that someone handed in a photocopier manual as their co-op report :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Peteee wrote:
    I too was trusted to get things done. ... when i messed up one day

Point proven.
    A non co_op EMP wouldn't have made the mistake you did.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

kaimera wrote:
    Point proven.
    A non co_op EMP wouldn't have made the mistake you did.

Yes, like the day my boss deleted the entire sweedish project off the live server.

What was your point again?

I presume there is some mechanism for students to report a bad co-op experience? I know of one particular case where someone was told that no one from UL would be sent on co-op to a place again but last I heard people were still being sent there.

Cheers
    Rory

Advertisement