Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop-2000 to now.

Options
  • 26-04-2006 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

So basically I have compiled a pretty short list of the best albums of every year(that I have heard)since 2000(My leaving is still a month away after all...:p )beacuse of two problems.

The first is to make the point that Hip-Hop is not dead,the commercial side of things is pretty awful these days sure,but thats not an excuse to get cynical and damn all new Hip Hop out of hand.The general malaise seems to have started around 2000 or so,when New York and the East Coast lost the steam it had from the G-Funk era and the latter days when the Wu/Mobb Deep/Nas were on top.Pac and BIG were long gone,and they were never replaced by truly charismatic MC's with fascinating personal lives.In death both became everlasting symbols of Hip Hop,captured everybodies attention but nobody could replace them.Hip Hop became just a little less interesting and there were/are no new Pacs or BIGs coming throught the ranks.With Jay gone,Nas among others going well into there twilight eras,there is very few MC's or groups around ready to replace them.We used to have Nas, Prodigy,
    Pac and the Wu Tang-know we have Jeezy,50 and the freakin Ying Yang Twins.

Secondly,Hip Hop began to fall because of its own success.Too many artists,not enough consumers.Everybody wanted to be a rapper or a producer and so the market became saturated.Sales for the more creative artists came harder to come by,so the room for innovation was lessened if you wanted a major deal.It left Hip Hop with less room to create real music and instead we've got tons of artists chasing cash by following the same generic formula that 50 thrives on.

However,as I said these are only problems,hopefully temporary and they can be fixed.In the meantime,their is plenty of excellent Hip Hop making its way
    through.It really isn't all doom and gloom despite the problems outlined above-there is plenty of good artists dropping this year and there really has been some brilliant music since Hip Hop 'died'... ;)

Deltron 3030-Deltron 3030
    Binary Star-Masters Of The Universe
    Like Water For Chocolate-Common
    Supreme Clientele-Gostface Killah
    Reflection Eternal-Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek

Honourable mentions...

The Platform-Dilated Peoples,View Fom Masada-Killah Priest,Stankonia-Outkast,2000 B.C.-Canibus,Nia-Blackalicious.

The Realness-Cormega
    Stillmatic-Nas
    How I Do-Res
    The Essence of J. Rawls-J. Rawls
    Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives-Prefuse 73

The Blueprint-Jay-Z,Disposable Arts-Masta Ace,PeteStrumentals-Pete Rock,
    Welcome 2 Detroit-Jay Dee,Hi-Teknology-Hi-Tek,Will Rap for Food-Cunninlynguists.

Lost Tapes-Nas
    The True Meaning-Cormega
    Lord Willin-Clipse
    In Search of...-N.E.R.D.
    Aziatic-AZ

God's Son-Nas,Scribes Of Life-Journalist,I Phantom-Mr. Lif,1st Class-Large Professor,Dead Ringer-RJD2,Blazing Arrow-Blackalicious,Electric Circus-Common,Legend of the Liquid Sword-GZA,Get Ya Mind Correct-Paul Wall & Chamillionaire,Unlimited-Soul Position,The Giancana Story-Kool G Rap.

Speakerboxxx/The Love Below-Outkast
    Southernunderground-Cunninlynguists
    Boy In Da Corner-Dizzee Rascal(Not exactly Hip Hop but brilliant nontheless)
    Rip the Jacker-Canibus
    Shadows On The Sun-Brother Ali

The Movement-Inspectah Deck,End of the Beginning-Murs,Deliverance-Bubba Sparxxx,The Black Album-Jay-Z,Tragedy Khadafi-Still Reportin',The Listening-Little Brother,Shades Of Blue-Madlib.

2004(Worst year this decade)

Murs 3:16:The 9th Edition-Murs
    Cee-Lo Green Is The Soul Machine-Cee-Lo
    A Long Hot Summer-Masta Ace
    Connected-Foreign Exchange
    Freedom of Speech-Sunz of Man

No Said Date-Masta Killa,Fly or Die-N.E.R.D.,The Tipping Point-The Roots,Showtime-Dizzee Rascal,Joyful Rebellion-K-Os.

2005(All of a sudden it gets a helluva lot better)

The Testament-Cormega
    The Minstrel Show-Little Brother
    Grandmasters-DJ Muggs vs GZA
    S.O.N.O.G.R.A.M.-One Be Lo
    Black Market Militia-Black Market Militia

Black Dialogue-The Perceptionists,Tragedy Khadafi-Thug Matrix,The Sound of Revenge-Chamillionaire,The B.Coming-Beanie Sigel,Triangulation Station-Opio,
    The Mouse and the Mask-Danger Doom,A.W.O.L.-AZ,Put It On The Line-Ghostface Killah & Trife,The Problem-Mathematics,Hell's Winter-Cage.

Its a pretty sparse list,for one thing because I wanted absolutely no filler(nothing but 8 out of 10+ albums)and because there is whole sub genres/areas of Hip-Hop that I never took to.Plus I listen to
    mainly to 90's stuff.So sorry to the regular posters here who see nothing new-this is really for those who want to listen to the very best new stuff.There is of course a helluva lot of other albums,so add away...(keep it within the time frame) ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

yup a pretty good list.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

In Search of... N.E.R.D, great album just listening to it now actually. Over all I reckon this album is very underrated.

Saw Nia by Blackalicious in Tower for under a tenner, specking of which another great 2005 release was The Craft by Blackalicious, Brilliant album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ciaran13

umm eminem?,the college dropout?, a grand dont come for free?

also the b.comming and rip the jacker shud not b there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

specking of which another great 2005 release was The Craft by Blackalicious, Brilliant album.

Biggest let down of last year, such a poor album in comparison to Nia and Blazing Arrow. Mediocre at best, great, not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Umm again The Streets aren't Hip-Hop or Rap.

Kanye can't rap and Eminem's beat selection sucks,but I'll make another list with the stuff others like and with the tracks I missed once we get some more replies.

The Craft was incredibly dull to me,and not touching their earlier releases.

The B Coming is incredibly well produced,and Rip The Jacker is an incredible album lyrically and Stoupe produces well.Both are the artists best albums by a mile.

I am missing a helluva lot of stuff though,so keep posting(the years with them if possible).

Still shocked that 2005 was the best year since the 90's.Some serious albums there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ciaran13

it might be beanie sigles best album but its still average at best.
    The B Coming is incredibly well produced

so was the documentary but i dont see that there

2002 was the best year, Def Jux owned it.
    Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
    El-P - Fantastic Damage
    RJD2 - Deadringer
    Mr Lif - I Phantom
    +
    Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly
    Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
    DJ Shadow - The Private Press
    Nas - Lost Tapes/Gods Son
    Sage Francis - Personal Journals
    Jurassic 5 - Power In Numbers
    7L & Esoteric - Dangerous Connection
    Non-Phixion - The Future Is Now
    Felt (Murs & Slug) - Felt: A Tribute To Christina Ricci
    Soul Position - Unlimited EP
    Ugly Duckling - Journey to Anywhere
    Little Brother - The Listening

ciaran13 wrote:
    it might be beanie sigles best album but its still average at best.

so was the documentary but i dont see that there

Beanie is a far better rapper then Game,who I can't listen to for more then a few minutes.Plus while both were well produced,The B Coming was a bit better.

Did you really take to Private Press?Weak album to me,certainly no where near as good as Deadringer or the UNKLE stuff.

It was a grower, at first I thought it was poor but really only in relation to Endtroducing. After a few listens I really got into it. I like it better than Psyence Fiction, but Deadringer is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

Makaveli wrote:
    Biggest let down of last year, such a poor album in comparison to Nia and Blazing Arrow. Mediocre at best, great, not a chance.

Well I think The Craft is a really good album, it's the only album from Blacklicious i've heard so by that statment I'm defineitly gonna back log them and get thier earlier releases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Cunninlynguists - A Piece Of Strange
    C-Rayz Walz - Year Of The Beast & Limelight*
    Nas - Street's Disciple*
    MJEX - What's Confusing You?*

* Denotes a "maybe". Although Limelight was quite good, not all of it. Same goes for Nas and Mjex's albums.

That Nas album was his worst,the production makes his earlier beat selection look inspired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I haven't listened to the album myself, mate has it and was just going on his word as he usually has decent taste in music. Guess not though!
    I'll rob it off him during the week and give it a listen.

Advertisement