Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rude Bus Éireann Driver

Options
  • 26-04-2006 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

I get a Bus Eireann bus every morning into work and the scheduled departure time from my stop is 07.20. The service is actually very good and the bus leaves at basically the same time every morning. I am usually down at the stop at 07.17 at the latest and am always on the bus before it pulls off. Sometimes as the bus pulls off just before 07.20 there are some people that are marginally late, but the driver stops the bus and lets them on.

Yesterday morning I was walking toward my stop at 07.14 and was about 30 yards away when I saw the bus was there. I started jogging towards it and as it pulled off I stuck my hand out. The driver, however, ignored me and drove on. I checked my watch and it was 07.15. ( I use the clock on my phone which automatically updates itself to the correct time so I am positive that this was the correct time, and also, I checked it against the times given out my Ian Dempsey on the radio and it was always correct). I then had to wait another 35 minutes for the next bus and was an hour late for work due to the extra traffic at that time.

I was not too happy but calmed down on the journey in. When I got to Dublin I asked the bus driver what the protocol was and explained what happened. He said in a round about but fair way (obviously not wanting to outright blame his colleague) that he probably shouldn't have left that early. He also said he'd have a word with the driver in question for me.

This morning I got on my bus at 07.13 (I got there extra early as I didn't want to miss it again!) I politely said to the driver in question "I think you left a little early yesterday". The second driver yesterday had obviously had a word with this driver as he immediately replied in a very aggressive manner "Listen Mate, I left at twenty past according to my watch and if you can't make it on time well then that's not my problem". I remained calm throughout and asked him what time he had now. He told me he had 07.19 and I said that the correct time was 07.13. He continued in his aggressive and loud voice telling me that his clock is the time he goes by and if everyone else can make it on time well then its my problem for being late.

I was fuming, but did not get angry with him and just walked to my seat, where he continued to shout at me telling me to be on time in future. When I was getting off the bus I asked him his name, and he said "You dont need my name pal, there is my bus number" and pointed to it.

I am very pissed off with this situation. Just because his watch is faster than the correct time doesn't mean everyone else should have to go by his time. I also dont mind the buses leaving the stop a few minutes early as long as the driver pulls up to collect a passenger that is running for the bus. EVERY other driver on the route will do this, apart from this one, who has left numerous passengers behind before. What also really annoyed me today aswell, was that he picked up two girls from the exact spot where I was standing yesterday after pulling off early yet again.

Who should I complain to about this or should I just leave it. I don't think I should leave it as I believe the driver was wrong, and he was also very rude to me, a paying customer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Buy him a new watch and present it to him in the morning.
    Or else ask him "have you got the correct time? I need to sync my life with yours"

Seriously, you need to write to Bus Eireann and explain in the strongest terms possible what a stupid nut-job this guy is, how rude he was and especially point out that he runs off the time on his watch, not the time the rest of the world is on.
    If he's late can he adjust his watch so that, actually, he's early?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Was thinking of going over and trying to talk to an inspector at lunch time as I know if I write an email I will never hear anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I don't think I should leave it as I believe the driver was wrong, and he was also very rude to me, a paying customer.

I'd say get over it to be honest, at the rate your going out you sound like you'll die of stress in the next few years.

Whats a complaint over roughly 3 minutes going to achieve? Oh yeah I forgot, your a 'paying customer'. I'd say get a leather glove and slap him in the face tomorrow shouting out 'I demand satisfaction'.

And to be honest, this is more of a PI than a commuting/transport issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bluetonic wrote:
    I'd say get over it to be honest, at the rate your going out you sound like you'll die of stress in the next few years.

Whats a complaint over roughly 3 minutes going to achieve? Oh yeah I forgot, your a 'paying customer'. I'd say get a leather glove and slap him in the face tomorrow shouting out 'I demand satisfaction'.

?????????????? It may only be 3 minutes, but if that then means you're then an hour late for work as a consequence, then it becomes a big deal. What is the OP supposed to do? Guess every morning what arbitrary time the bus driver has his watch set to, so that he can get to the bus stop on time? I'd say it's you that has the PI problem if you think this is acceptable behaviour from the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

Bluetonic wrote:

Bluetonic, that is a moronic post.
    If the bus is timetabled to leave at 720 then it shouldn't leave any earlier.
    I have had similar run ins with Dublin bus drivers and it can leave you feeling very angry.
    Cullenswood it wont do any harm to complain about this guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Bluetonic wrote:

Bluetonic, anymore idiotic posts from you, such as the one quoted above, and you will recieve a ban. Timetables are there for a reason, passengers deserve a certain level of common courtesy, which would appear to have been missing in this situation from what the op said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Agree with many posters here..Report him and make sure others do too if they were effected..Buseireann drivers are getting worse and worse.

Not to mention the fact that their buses seemed to be designed for Pigmies, they are over priced and often way overcrowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Was thinking of going over and trying to talk to an inspector at lunch time as I know if I write an email I will never hear anything back.

Not an email, a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Hobart wrote:
    Bluetonic, anymore idiotic posts from you, such as the one quoted above, and you will recieve a ban. Timetables are there for a reason, passengers deserve a certain level of common courtesy, which would appear to have been missing in this situation from what the op said.

How on earth is he going to prove his case if you don't mind me asking? We're listening to one side of a story here, none is going to come on here and say they approached the bus driver and weren't calm when talking to him are they?

I don't see how anything but further pain can come out of complaining over the sake of a differencing of opinions, none of which can be denyed or proven. In the sake or his furure relationship with the driver and bearing in mind he must use it every day he'd be better of let it go.

ps I'm glad you got the name right this time. Your the shadow I always wanted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Lindaloo

I'd a issue with the Nitelink and I emailed, got a response within a couple of days and an offer of free Nitelink tickets (which I declined cos I wasn't looking for anything off them, just wanted to make sure it never happened again and yes have kicked myself since!)

I would say to email them and explain the situation, you never know, someone else may have been in touch already and another complaint will add weight to the grievance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

for 1 he was too early, at least if he was 5 minutes late people would still be waiting. also, you were polite and calm, the bus driver was loud, angry and rude, theres no need for him to start shouting at you.
    definately complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Bluetonic wrote:
    How on earth is he going to prove his case if you don't mind me asking? We're listening to one side of a story here, none is going to come on here and say they approached the bus driver and weren't calm when talking to him are they?
    So you believe that this is in someway about "proving a case"? The op is asking for advice about how he can go about making a complaint. He is not talking about entering the highest court in this land, and taking a case for slander against an employee of DB. My warning to you was in regards to the way you phrased your comment, which was idiotic. Telling people to "get over it" and insinuation that they have high stress levels, because they expect a modicum of courtesy, is not acceptable. By all means question the content of any post on this board, but do not do so in a way which would cause a thread to descend into a flame war. I hope I have made my point clear.
    I don't see how anything but further pain can come out of complaining over the sake of a differencing of opinions, none of which can be denyed or proven. In the sake or his furure relationship with the driver and bearing in mind he must use it every day he'd be better of let it go.
    Well just because "you don't see it" it does not automatically follow that it does not exist, or it cannot happen. Maybe DB would take heed of this persons complaint, and send an inspector down one morning to check? They do have customer charters in DB, you do realise that?

Now you have dragged this thread of topic enough.If you wish to participate in this discussion in a constructive way, please do. I'm not asking you to curb your agenda, just your penchant for appearing to troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Bluetonic is another one of the CIE apologists on here. No matter how bad the customer service is (and keeping strictly to the published timetable is a main requirement in any real transport network as is being mannerly with your customers) he will always say "get over it man", "take it easy" or somesuch nonsense. The fact that people (paying customers and subsidising taxpayers) are starting to get really irked by CIE and it's continuing shoddy service and rude staff is beginning to dawn on these CIE apologists and the little temper tantrums when people RIGHTLY complain about 3 mins are a sign of the worry creeping in as public support for the "ill wind" of privatisation grows. I'm no fan of privatisation fo the sake of it, but I genuinely fear that w@nkers like that BE driver the OP had the misfortune to have dealings with will never get the idea of customer service. Yes, there are a few genuinely good CIE staff (I could name a couple who contribute to various forums but I won't embarrassthem!) but these poor minority are lost in a sea of dogma and that drver clearly had NO FEAR of publicly admonishing a paying customer in front of a busload of other paying customers. Imagine if you went into McDonalds and ordered a bigmac and the guy gives you a quarter pounder and when you complained he bollocked you out of it in front of the entire restaurant. How long would he last? (and that's a place not renowned for excellent customer service either!).

OP, write to BE management, write to the MoT and complain. Write to your local papers and last bust certainly not least, write to your TDs. Honestly, the only way we're gonna get CIE staff like that tosser out is to bring serious reform to the place and that can only happen at the top echelons of government as the management live in fear of the bloody unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

murphaph wrote:
    Bluetonic is another one of the CIE apologists on here. No matter how bad the customer service is (and keeping strictly to the published timetable is a main requirement in any real transport network as is being mannerly with your customers) he will always say "get over it man", "take it easy" or somesuch nonsense. The fact that people (paying customers and subsidising taxpayers) are not starting to get really irked by CIE and it's continuing shoddy service and rude staff is beginning to dawn on these CIE apologists and the little temper tantrums when people RIGHTLY complain about 3 mins are a sign of the worry creeping in as public support for the "ill wind" of privatisation grows. I'm no fan of privatisation fo the sake of it, but I genuinely fear that w@nkers like that BE driver the OP had the misfortune to have dealings with will never get the idea of customer service. Yes, there are a few genuinely good CIE staff (I could name a couple who contribute to various forums but I won't embarrassthem!) but these poor minority are lost in a sea of dogma and that drver clearly had NO FEAR of publicly admonishing a paying customer in front of a busload of other paying customers. Imagine if you went into McDonalds and ordered a bigmac and the guy gives you a quarter pounder and when you complained he bollocked you out of it in front of the entire restaurant. How long would he last? (and that's a place not renowned for excellent customer service either!).

OP, write to BE management, write to the MoT and complain. Write to your local papers and last bust certainly not least, write to your TDs. Honestly, the only way we're gonna get CIE staff like that tosser out is to bring serious reform to the place and that can only happen at the top echelons of government as the management live in fear of the bloody unions.

well said- in a private company you would expect someone to severely disciplened for this behaviour, if not sacked.

Thanks for all the replies. I went over to Busarus just there and was talking to a inspector who took down the details and my name and number. He said he would pass it on to the inspector that deals with that route and to the customer complaints section.

He asked me a couple of question about the bus driver himself and then said that he think he knew who I was talking about, so obviously this driver has had complaints about him before.

I'm glad I went over now, and will update you if I hear anything back (which I doubt). I don't mind not hearing back though, I would just like the driver to know that I was not happy with the service so that he might change his attitude in future

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

He asked me a couple of question about the bus driver himself and then said that he think he knew who I was talking about, so obviously this driver has had complaints about him before.
    So the likelihood is he has had complaints about him before, but he's still merrily taking home his guaranteed paycheque.
    I'm glad I went over now, and will update you if I hear anything back (which I doubt). I don't mind not hearing back though, I would just like the driver to know that I was not happy with the service so that he might change his attitude in future
    See above. He's probaly been complained about before and it has done precisely zip. Get writing to your politicians. They're the only ones who can do anything about that sort of guy as if he was sacked the unions would weigh in and screw us all over because of a rude ignorant fcuker like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

What route was it on, cullenswood?

I used to take the Bus Eireann bus from Balbriggan to Drumcondra a few years ago when I worked in that area and although the vast majority of drivers are very pleasant and helpful, there was a couple on that route who were the grumpiest feckers I ever had to put up with.

One driver shouted quite loudly "for **** sake" and braked so hard that myself and another passenger stumbled forward. All for asking to be let off the bus at the bus stop in Drumcondra.

Another driver, while traffic was slow on the old Belfast-Dublin dual carraige way at the statoil near the Donabate exit, stopped the bus and left the engine running so he could hop into the statoil and pick up a breakfast roll. That was just disgraceful. In all fairness, traffic was slow but apart from holding up passengers who were already running late due to the bad trafffic, I don't think leaving the coach while passengers on sitting in it and leaving the engine running is part of Bus Eireann protocol.

Having said that, I havn't seen those drivers in years on that route. And the drivers I meet on the service now seem pretty nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

there are loads of excuses for being late, but NONE for being early...you were right to complain.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

Bluetonic you have you head so far up your arse with the "Whats a complaint over roughly 3 minutes going to achieve?" comment. Are you really serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Bluetonic wrote:

Im speechless. Im on the OP's side here. Write to anyone that will listen, and hopefully one little bit of ignorance in the form of a bus driver will be dealt with. I'm glad the mods have already noted the other little bit of ignorance we've seen today too :)

More of a PI than a transport issue lol... The OP's talking about a BUS and a BUS DRIVER. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Agree with many posters here..Report him and make sure others do too if they were effected..Buseireann drivers are getting worse and worse.

You'd be surprised how on-the-ball Bus Eireann can be with customer complaints.

Complain via signed letter, not email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

The OP has my full support in what they're doing. I think the advice given by other posters of complaining through as many avenues as possible is well worth taking note of. The more bodies you write to the more chance you have of at least some of those comments bringing about pressure on the driver to catch himself on. As for Bluetonic's response, he really should know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

Notice how the usual "it's CIE or nothing and you are a lunatic if you disagree with Tobin Tobin and ILDA" shower on this group are completly silent on this issue.

The silence speaks volumes. Doesn't it just.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Notice how the usual "it's CIE or nothing and you are a lunatic if you disagree with Tobin Tobin and ILDA" shower on this group are completly silent on this issue.

The silence speaks volumes. Doesn't it just.

Yep. Shock horror, some people are not hanging around PCs 24/7 in the hopes of scoring points on their favourite issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Behave

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

murphaph wrote:
    Bluetonic is another one of the CIE apologists on here. No matter how bad the customer service is (and keeping strictly to the published timetable is a main requirement in any real transport network as is being mannerly with your customers) he will always say "get over it man", "take it easy" or somesuch nonsense. The fact that people (paying customers and subsidising taxpayers) are starting to get really irked by CIE and it's continuing shoddy service and rude staff is beginning to dawn on these CIE apologists and the little temper tantrums when people RIGHTLY complain about 3 mins are a sign of the worry creeping in as public support for the "ill wind" of privatisation grows. I'm no fan of privatisation fo the sake of it, but I genuinely fear that w@nkers like that BE driver the OP had the misfortune to have dealings with will never get the idea of customer service. Yes, there are a few genuinely good CIE staff (I could name a couple who contribute to various forums but I won't embarrassthem!) but these poor minority are lost in a sea of dogma and that drver clearly had NO FEAR of publicly admonishing a paying customer in front of a busload of other paying customers. Imagine if you went into McDonalds and ordered a bigmac and the guy gives you a quarter pounder and when you complained he bollocked you out of it in front of the entire restaurant. How long would he last? (and that's a place not renowned for excellent customer service either!).

Philip, you are trolling here just as much as Bluetonic.

The OP has a very valid complaint but dragging out all the cliched anti-CIE rhetoric is of no help to him, it is simply trolling.

Most of it is complete bull anyway.

The OP has stated that the conduct of every other driver on the route is acceptable so all of your "rotten to the core" argument is meaningless.

The idea that this or any other BE driver can not or will not get fired is simply wrong, I know of several cases of BE and DB drivers who have been fired for reasons including unacceptable behaviour to passengers.

Leaving early and bad attitudes are a problem for every bus company I have ever had dealings with as a passenger or staff. Private companies are in many ways no better at controlling their drivers and in many cases a hell of a lot worse because they themselves simply do not give a toss themselves.

Leaving early is a particular practice that I really hate and it pissed me off no end as a driver when some of my colleagues did. On city routes it is a great way to get an easy trip, tucking in behind the bus ahead while leaving the one behind a big gap with a huge load of narked off passengers. I have even seen two drivers in a fistfight over it.

It is a hard one to nail down drivers on, generally it is only done in remote locations where there is no supervision.

To the OP. The best advice I can give is to keep on at the inspectors, I know there are a few decent ones in Busaras (there is at least one of the other sort as well though) who would take your complaint seriously. Try and get the name and contact details of the specific person in charge of that route and put your complaint in writing to them, snail mail not e-mail. Also get a contact number, if the bus departs early ring them immediately, inform them of your location and that the bus has gone before time.

Just to update you, I got a phone call from the inspector of the particular route within 30 mins of talking to the inspector in Busarus. He was very apologetic to me and knew about the driver in question. He asked me to ensure that I write a letter to the complaints department as he was trying to build up a file etc.

I was quite happy after talking to him, and listening to what he said, and am sending a letter outlining my situation to them. I am reasonably confident that appropriate action will be taken.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Just to update you, I got a phone call from the inspector of the particular route within 30 mins of talking to the inspector in Busarus. He was very apologetic to me and knew about the driver in question. He asked me to ensure that I write a letter to the complaints department as he was trying to build up a file etc.

I was quite happy after talking to him, and listening to what he said, and am sending a letter outlining my situation to them. I am reasonably confident that appropriate action will be taken.

See? What did I tell you? They seem to be quite customer 'centric', an Inspector even called out to a friends house to take a statement after what reporting what was a minor incident.

• Advertisement
Advertisement