Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albums you hated that everyone else loved...

Options
  • 25-04-2006 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Self explanatory.

NWA-Straight Outta Compton-Incredibly dull after the first 4 overrated tracks.Ren and Ice Cube are the only ones who could rap,E and Dre were awful on the mic.And the lyrics are just moronic.It also put 'gangsterism' on top in Hip-Hop,and it still hasn't gone away.

Method Man-Tical-Unmitigated mess.I haven't a clue what Meth's saying and his flow and voice is completely lost because of RZA's over production.Pity because Meth is a serious MC when he gets the right prouction,but RZA's beats never worked with him imo.

Just about everything by Slug/KRS/Aesop's Rock/Doom as well.

Add on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Public Enemy - It takes a nation of millions....
    I've seen this album voted best hip-hop album of all time on a number of polls and it generally figures in the top ten, but i just found it boring and repetitive. Apart from "Don't believe the Hype" and "Rebel without a pause" it really wasn't worth the listen to me. and flava-flav just does my head in!!!!!:mad:

Jay Z
    Pretty much everything he's ever dropped has been (albeit relatively-well produced) complete drivel! had plenty of mates singing the praises of the Blueprint, i eventually gave in and go hold of a copy (thankfully i didn't pay for it) which was, as expected, pure tripe!

everything Eminem has put out since after the Marshall Mathers LP has been complete rubbish too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I've seen this album voted best hip-hop album of all time on a number of polls and it generally figures in the top ten, but i just found it boring and repetitive. Apart from "Don't believe the Hype" and "Rebel without a pause" it really wasn't worth the listen to me. and flava-flav just does my head in!!!!!:mad:

Jay Z
    Pretty much everything he's ever dropped has been (albeit relatively-well produced) complete drivel! had plenty of mates singing the praises of the Blueprint, i eventually gave in and go hold of a copy (thankfully i didn't pay for it) which was, as expected, pure tripe!

everything Eminem has put out since after the Marshall Mathers LP has been complete rubbish too

Bingo.His first two albums annoyed me as well,production wasn't great to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ciaran13

Dizzee Rascal---im sorry but i cant fukn make out wat hes saying and i dont think id want to even if i cud. bought the boy in the corner album which i think won some awards, and my god it was ****

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭easy_as_easy

kayne west. i hate everything hes done. its bland, and 90% of his lyrics/raps are really very poor.

'I aint saying shes a gold digger...'

yes ok we get it....

some of his singles have been bad choices goldigga & workout plan. but you cannot argue that
    thru the wire,jesus walks,familybusiness,hey mama and spaceship are unreal songs.
    at least hes not talkin bout the streets/bling and guns like 99% of rappers out there

• Advertisement

kayne west. i hate everything hes done. its bland, and 90% of his lyrics/raps are really very poor.

'I aint saying shes a gold digger...'

yes ok we get it....

Yes,and Rhymefest as well.
    Dizzee Rascal---im sorry but i cant fukn make out wat hes saying and i dont think id want to even if i cud. bought the boy in the corner album which i think won some awards, and my god it was ****

Both albums are classic to me.How can you not like/understand tracks like Brand New Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭easy_as_easy

ciaran13 wrote:
    some of his singles have been bad choices goldigga & workout plan. but you cannot argue that
    thru the wire,jesus walks,familybusiness,hey mama and spaceship are unreal songs.
    at least hes not talkin bout the streets/bling and guns like 99% of rappers out there

meh, give me guns and bling so long as is clever with a decent flow, compare Gangstarr to Kayne, no comp.

lol @ 99%. :rolleyes:

The best duo(Mobb Deep),best group(Outkast) and best Rapper(Nas)all used gangster lyrics to varying degrees.However,Hell on Earth and The Infamous are two of the most musically stunning albums ever,Outkast are the closest thing that HipHop will ever have to its very own Beatles and Nas is simply the GOAT.

What matters is that the lyrics are intelligent,original and entertaining.

What matters is that the lyrics are intelligent,original and entertaining

would not consider guns/bling/cars/money original

ciaran13 wrote:
    would not consider guns/bling/cars/money original

Of course it completely depends on the context and the rapper in question.

Do your morals stop you from listening to Nas,the Wu-Tang and Mobb Deep?I feel for you. ;)

• Advertisement

no it doesnt, i have all nas albums and 2 wutangs, i never took to mobb deep.

but all im saying is appreciate more the rappers that do not talk the stereotypical gangsta rap lyrics that keep being repeated since nwa days.

i would much prefer to listen to kanye than wutang or mobb deep

ciaran13 wrote:
    no it doesnt, i have all nas albums and 2 wutangs, i never took to mobb deep.

but all im saying is appreciate more the rappers that do not talk the stereotypical gangsta rap lyrics that keep being repeated since nwa days.

i would much prefer to listen to kanye than wutang or mobb deep

Well thats fair enough.You seemed to be blackballing all gangster rappers or any rapper that uses ganster lyrics,but maybe I just got the wrong end of the stick.

I'd take Hell on Earth or Forever over any Kanye album,but thats just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Orizio wrote:
    best group(Outkast)

Ahem..each to their own..
    Anywho, on topic; I'm agreeing with Orizio (cept for the Tical comment, mostly accurate, but you forgot that Release Yo' Delf was on that..) and spacecoyote's choices, never got any of those myself.

Those aside, I'm voting for Outkast. Bar one or two tunes, I can't stand them. Having tried, and failed, to listen to a few albums, and then hearing everyone rave on about them just made me wonder if I was an alien.
    Turns out I just have good taste in music. :D

Ahem..each to their own..
    Anywho, on topic; I'm agreeing with Orizio (cept for the Tical comment, mostly accurate, but you forgot that Release Yo' Delf was on that..) and spacecoyote's choices, never got any of those myself.

Those aside, I'm voting for Outkast. Bar one or two tunes, I can't stand them. Having tried, and failed, to listen to a few albums, and then hearing everyone rave on about them just made me wonder if I was an alien.
    Turns out I just have good taste in music. :

I can't let this go I'm afraid.Outkast are the ****.Thats official.The most original,the best produced,the down right coolest Hip-Hop group ever is Outkast.The south's best MC was always and always will be Andre 3000 and Organised Noise are horrendously overlooked as producers.I mean how the hell can you not like tracks like Atliens,Mainstream,Skew It On The Bar,Return of the 'G',BOB etc?In fact Outkast=Hip-Hop's answer tothe Beatles.

Yeah I said it. :p;)

yeah gotta agree on the Outkast thing, have all of their albums and their 1st three were absolute classics. hot MCs, hot beats, hot production. there can be no doubting they broke the mould. last 2 albums have been a little patchy but still had some classic tracks.

Not so much of a dizzee rascal fan, got his debut after all the hype and i was a little disappointed. Some nice beat selection, especially Fix up, Look Sharp, but thats bout it. Haven't heard 2nd album though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Nope, I don't think I'll ever like Outkast. Never did, and most likely never will. I honestly don't see why some people like them so much.

I can't really explain it, but it's along the lines of my pure hatred towards the N-gage, which I can't explain either.
    I'm complicated. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

All of Eminem's albums, yes even the first two!

fifty's Albums, I know most people here realise he's a tool but a lot of people think he's the ****, when in fact he is just ****!

Dre's albums, THE MAN CAN'T RAP!

Anything with the word "crunk" attached to it.

Seaneh wrote:
    All of Eminem's albums, yes even the first two!

fifty's Albums, I know most people here realise he's a tool but a lot of people think he's the ****, when in fact he is just ****!

Dre's albums, THE MAN CAN'T RAP!

Anything with the word "crunk" attached to it.

Oh seriously,the guy has the worst flow ever.I really don't see how people can listen to that crap.

Spacecoyote=Give The Love Below another chance,brilliant mixture of Funk and Hip-Hop(and some other things)and Andre croons along fittingly.Really corny but really entertaining stuff.A Life In The Day of Andre Benjamin is classic in my opinion.He is backing rapping properly for the new album.

But yeah Stankonia was a bit of a mess.Still a 4 mic album.

As for Dizzee,he is definetly a required taste.Brand New Day and Do It! are brilliant imo,indeed the whole abum is very distinctive and energetic but a lot of people hate his brash production style and accent.

dre-2000 was an absoulte classic album.

as was the marshall mathers lp

i really liked the Love Below, it was speakerboxx i was more let down by. sime nice beats but on the whole it seemed quite unoriginal and cliche. The Love Below on the other hand was definitely something fresh and inventive. it would remind me a little of some of Prince's music when he was in his funky prime, which is definitely a good thing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I think this album falls under the category of "If you weren't there at the time you won't get it." I don't mean that as a slur to you SC.

It's like the Beatles I'm sure for a lot of people. I wasn't there for a Beatlemania and therefore can't fully appreciate what they did at the time.

The thing about It Takes A Nation...is it's uniqueness. It was something new to rap music at the time. The "noisy" production, harmonys melodies etc. out the window it was raw I suppose. Suppose it could be something like 36 Chambers.

Unless you understand how much that album influenced others you probably won't get it. Listening to it now it can sound dated or "too old skool" or something but I LOVE that album.

That's just my 1/25th of a Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eat'em up

I Agree with Ay Cee,,, public enemy and especially tical :confused: ARE good albums...but only to certain listeners......Method man has some killa stuff on that album, but you've gotta be patient and listen to the song as a hiphop lover and NOT A critic.....
    if i was to have an album which every1 hated but i liked, it would have to be Sticky Fingaz;Decade, it is a brilliant album made for fans of hardcore/thug hiphop. some of the songs get boring quick, but as a whole the album has some good beats....
    ps....Jay-Z Punches way above his weight ....

It's like the Beatles I'm sure for a lot of people. I wasn't there for a Beatlemania and therefore can't fully appreciate what they did at the time.

not true i wasnt there for beatlemania but i still love the beatles.

i want there for public enemy and i do not like them at all

point is: good music stands the test of time

I agree with Ciaran.I love a lot of old school bands/artists(Beatles, Clash, Hendrix, Minor Threat etc),and their music has stood the test of time.Brilliant music always those.

jus realised wen i read other post. but my god dmx is terrible how he got 6 no.1 albums ill never fukn know!! o ya theres 3 songs of his ill listen to---add his version of changes altho even on that song drag-ons verse kills him

Yeah i'll admit the public enemy thing was a little before my time and so i don't fully appreciate it. i do recognise the importance and relevance of the album, i just never really enjoyed it at all. i do enjoy alot of old school stuff, and other albums released in the same era such as BDP and KRS early solo albums (which i know plenty of people don't like at all), early LL stuff, etc, etc... i think what it really comes down to is that Flava Flav just irritates the sh1t out of me. i think chuck has great tone and delivery, the album just doesn't do it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭aftermathcrew

straight up man kanye is complete rubbish, i cant believe sum of my friends spent 20 pounds on his ****!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭N05H3AD

I bought this a few weeks ago and have not listened to it straight through because it is so bad. Hopefully no one thinks that this album is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭aftermathcrew

N05H3AD wrote:
    I bought this a few weeks ago and have not listened to it straight through because it is so bad. Hopefully no one thinks that this album is good.
    complete rubbish alright!!i tried to get into it but just ****ing cant.it is complete trash i think.as for the album i hate....probably eminem's "curtain call"...too much like pop for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement